Notices

World's FASTEST.....

Old 01-30-2004, 03:14 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's an earlier record holder...to give you an idea of how a really maxed boat should look. When horsepower is not a function of checkbook size..... you need a LOT more engineering and driving skill to go fast.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails World's FASTEST.....-sherlock%5B1%5D.record.r2.jpg  
Old 01-30-2004, 03:20 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by glassdave
that is smokin . Rich do you have a pic of that type of boat by any chance? just curious as im not to familiar with boats outside offshore types. thanks
==

Here is a photo of the record setting hull that hangs in the Race Roce Cage in Orlando..
Attached Thumbnails World's FASTEST.....-p3030186-aa.jpg  
Old 01-30-2004, 03:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by T2x
Here's an earlier record holder...to give you an idea of how a really maxed boat should look. When horsepower is not a function of checkbook size..... you need a LOT more engineering and driving skill to go fast.

T2x
That's an amazing picture. It looks like negative trim!!
Old 01-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

Rich,

Is that the motor that Dick built down at "The Alley"? How fast was his driver going when he broke the record, then took the second pass and never came back?
Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

There is a formula I use to compute air entrapment psi vs tunnell compression ratio which in turn gives me an idea when any weight of cat will want to fly. You have to begin using negative trim on stern drive (transom mount) boats before this speed. Shaft drive boats are entirely different because their thrust is at the keel which in turn tends to push the nose of the boat over more, ie - shaft drive boats are safer at highest speeds.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by KiloKat
. Shaft drive boats are entirely different because their thrust is at the keel which in turn tends to push the nose of the boat over more, ie - shaft drive boats are safer at highest speeds.
Actually, that isn't necessarily a "shaft drive" phenomenon....... Many shaft drive boats have been created that run the prop angle parallel to the bottom. Rather, the safety feature comes from forward suspension as found on hydroplanes, or true four point designs...as opposed to tunnel hulls or cats. Basically a hydro is a faster design than a cat because the drive is set up (trimmed under) in such a way as to lift the stern out of the water completely at speed and "prop ride" as seen in the picture above of John Sherlock in Dick O'dea's hydro.... who by the way was "only" going about 140 in the picture. However, you must remember scale speed and its impact. The O'dea hydro was about 18 feet in length....which , all things being equal (and they never are), equates to a 36 footer at 280 mph...and a 46 footer at 360 mph.

I maintain the fastest design concept extant...is the 4 point ram WING.......pictured below.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails World's FASTEST.....-wing-skyway.jpg  
Old 01-30-2004, 04:57 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by sutphen30
i saw the same thing,i wonder if flying the hull was the plan.looks awesome
The ONLY way to run a hydro or 4 point is to "fly the hull"..with the engine(s) "tucked under".........

T2x
Attached Thumbnails World's FASTEST.....-swtzrboat.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 01-30-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:18 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Originally posted by T2x
Basically a hydro is a faster design than a cat because the drive is set up (trimmed under) in such a way as to lift the stern out of the water completely at speed and "prop ride"
Absolutely correct but my comments had to do with the reason for negative trim used in the pictures above and not which style hull is the fastest. However, I tend to agree with your comment about the 4 point ram wing. Who knows, maybe we'll see an entirely new concept design incorporated into an offshore catamaran hull in the future that will utilize the best of both worlds ...
Old 01-30-2004, 05:22 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by KiloKat
Absolutely correct but my comments had to do with the reason for negative trim used in the pictures above and not which style hull is the fastest. However, I tend to agree with your comment about the 4 point ram wing. Who knows, maybe we'll see an entirely new concept design incorporated into an offshore catamaran hull in the future that will utilize the best of both worlds ...
David:

That's something we can certainly agree on........

If only the damn things ran in rough water

T2x
Attached Thumbnails World's FASTEST.....-t119.jpg  
Old 01-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Registered

dunno past but will be me in near future

Quick Reply: World's FASTEST.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.