Notices

Chevrolet Avalanche 2500

Old 12-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet Avalanche 2500

My wife and I are looking for a new vehicle for the family and for towing. She doesn't like the Excursion (too big she says) . We test drove a 3/4 ton version with the 8100 engine tonight (12,000 lb towing capacity) and she likes it. We were initially looking at 3/4 ton Suburbans but I kinda jokingly said "what about an Avalanche" and after looking at she said she likes it. It's got all the options we wanted, leather, dvd, color, etc and the price is good.

The boat/trailer is around 11,000 lbs and towed for up to 10 miles. She'll be trailering horses up to 50 miles or so, with an occasional 300-500 miles trip a couple times a year.

Before we buy it, anyone who owns one care to share any pro's/con's?

Last edited by Monty; 12-29-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,646 Likes on 3,773 Posts

the 8100 with a allison tranny is a great tow vehicle.
i have a dually same set up, 95000 miles. and still a work horse.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered

Sydwayz has one that he pulls a 26 Sonic with I am sure he can tell you the goods and bads.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Registered

Pete B,

I'm not sure the Allison 1000 is offered in the Avalanche. The 1/2 ton has the 4L65E and the 3/4 ton has the 4L80E, I beleive.

Last edited by Monty; 12-29-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:07 PM
Charter Member #1015
Charter Member

Does she really like the looks?
Old 12-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Registered

Surprisingly, yes. To be honest, I didn't really think much of the Avalanche's looks a couple of years ago either. My neighbor has a 2002.

But after getting "up close and personal" with it, I really like it. One of my concerns is resale or trade in value on it. I plan on holding on to it for at least 5-6 years, which seems to be our average, but sometimes you never know....and I don't want to be stuck with something that I can't get rid of. Obviously, a car salesman will tell you anything to sell a car, but he said that nationally, the Avalanche sells almost as well as the Suburban, although he admitted most are sold in the South, Texas, and West Coast.

Admittedly, the Avalanche is one of those vehicles that some people really like, and some don't like. I wouldn't put it in the same catagory as an Aztek though. I repeatedly asked my wife if she liked it, and she said yes. I even told her some people don't like the looks of them, but she said she like it and even countered with the fact that her good friend has told her she likes them and wants one. That doesn't really mean much to me, 'cause my wife and her friends change ther mind about things on a regular basis.

I take it you don't care for the looks of the Avalanche?

Last edited by Monty; 12-29-2003 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Monty;

The 2500 Avalanche and 2500 Suburban have the same running gear: 8.1 liter and 4:10 axle gets you 12k towing capacity. They ARE built on the same chassis.

The Avalanche gets you a slightly shorter vehicle and a little more fun with the adaptable features.

I got my 2500 Avalanche 3 weeks ago and love it. It will tow the boat or horse trailer no sweat. I get about 12 mpg but it is not yet broken in=1300 miles.

The Avalanche is one of those vehicles you either love or don't.

GM has great deals right now on all their vehicles, big rebates/incentives.

Wannabe
Old 12-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It DOES NOT have the Allison in it. It has an M32 4spd Auto, 4L85E. I absolutely love everything about the truck, except the gas mileage. It pulls my 7k lb. package very well. I have also upgraded it with:
Bigger wheels and tires
K&N Intake
HyperTech Powerprogrammer III
True dual all Stainless Flowmaster exhaust
Rear individual adjustable Air Lift Airbags, (EVERY TRUCK SHOULD HAVE THESE)
Nerf bars, grill, spoiler, custom mats, spray in bed-liner (floor), and some other asthetic goodies.

Check out http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/ as well. It IS the OSO of the AV. They can tell you how to take apart the truck and put it back together bolt by bolt. We have had three in my family. My brother-in-law had a 2500, and sold it. I bought my 2500, and he just recently picked up a 2003 1500.

I recommend the dark charcoal interior. I think it looks better and holds up better, leather especially. The only kinks I had were a couple transmission issues that were bad when it was new, that took a few trips to the shop to figure out.
Attached Thumbnails Chevrolet Avalanche 2500-lt.jpg  
Old 12-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What questions might you have about it? I will do my best to answer them. I think the only way they could capability better this truck is fit the Duramax and Allison into the frame, which isn't going to happen for a while.

Front in the snow:
Attached Thumbnails Chevrolet Avalanche 2500-fl.jpg  
Old 12-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Charter Member #1015
Charter Member

The looks have never really grown on me. It got a little better when they got rid of the plastic on the sides. I've always been a Chevy guy but when they made the Silverado look like the Avalanche, I about crapped. I have a 1998 Chevy and I'm still in love with that body syle. Even the next one I liked but they didn't keep it for very long. Wonder why?

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Avalanche 2500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.