Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dream Boat Destroyed.. Can anyone help! >

Dream Boat Destroyed.. Can anyone help!

Notices

Dream Boat Destroyed.. Can anyone help!

Old 12-28-2003, 08:57 AM
mikejill

Default Dream Boat Destroyed.. Can anyone help!

At First we will begin without naming names. The manufacturer and the marine shop has not done anything yet, so I wont cuss up a storm yet.

The day before Christmas we received a call on our boat. The boat was in the shop for 3 months over a leak after the Tampa/St. Pete race. We sat back, missed Orange beach and waited for our boat. The day after Christmas we received a call that the boat was put onto the trailer wrong and that there was some damage. He said his Firberglass man was coming in and the boat would be ready next week Suspicous, we went to the dealer unannounced and found a horrific site. Our boat wasnt put on the trailer wrong... it was shoved on the trailer, and when the idiot mechanic pulled it from the water he forgot to lock the safety latch. Our brand new boat slid DOWN the ramp and tore the bottom of our boat to pieces. Worse off... The engine wasnt trimmed, so it was SHOVED up into the boat, causing the hydralics not to function. Upon closer expection the fin on the bottom of our engine was CUT and shaved to make it look like it wasnt damaged. The boat, the trailer and no telling what else is destoryed.

Heres the clencher... My fiance mad at the time DEMANDEd to talk to the service manager or owner. Noone was around so they sent two idiots out to talk to us. The girl said "Oh we have had a bad winter and the water is low, so it hit the trailer." Unless their dock defies nature... the ocean never runs out of water.... or am i wrong? Then upon viewing the hydralics, the man yells, well.. its low on fluid. Ok... So my finance climbs up into the boat to find that the fluid is still almost full. A full hour of bs and I had enough. According to her it hit the trailer wrong... The trailer doesnt touch, doesnt come close to the center of the boat. However the WHOLE underneith is destroyed.
And they can glass it....
On the sides, our baby was scratched to heck and all i got was... "OH WE DIDNT DO THAT!" as if we did that. If any of you racers remember our boat... it was immaculate! I was told by several of you that it was a beautiful, scratch free boat!

I dont know what to do guys. We volunteer, and I do your flags now and then... Im SICK! My poor finace is sick.. They keep saying that they will do glass work that all is fine... but what about the damage from the hit? Wont that damage the engine or other areas that we cant see. Im hoping someone had the same problem.
Can we make them give us a new boat?

We asked the manufactuer for a brand new boat. We CANT take this boat back. The damage to it is far too bad. If they think they can sell it, THEY should fix it up, and sell it at their marina and give us a brand new boat. It only had 100 hours on it, AND has been in the shop for 6 months of the first year.

My fiance doesnt know I sent this on offshore... Please give me advice. To keep peace I will not name the dealership nor the manufactuer. That is, not unless they try to screw us over.

Please help...
Flag Girl

Old 12-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Flag Girl -

I am sorry to hear that you and your fiance have had some bad luck...

Here's what I would do:

1. TAKE AS MANY PICTURES AS POSSIBLE!! Make sure they are dated and if at all possible, have you or your fiance in a few pictures standing next to the damage.

2. Fully document any and all damage that you think was caused by the marina. Be as specific as possible.

3. Contact the owner of the marina ASAP. Meet with them in person to discuss the damage. First, try by phone, then if needed by CERTIFIED LETTER.

4. Contact your insurance company and make them aware of what happened.

5. If the owner refuses to meet with you, contact an attorney ASAP that specializes in property damage cases. Make sure you have as much information as possible.

6. If the marina is still uncooperative, you may want to file suit.

The rest will be a very long and uncomfortable ride.

Good Luck! I wish you the best!

Keep us informed on this situation.

-Larry
Old 12-28-2003, 09:20 AM
mikejill

Default Grrrr

It really sucks... My fiance would drive past the dealership every day and say "Someday, Im going to buy that". and point to his boat. Well.. one day we walked in and as luck had it, easily afforded the boat.
Its not fun to have your dreams shot down.
Worst off, I dont like the new models... im in love with his boat. I sit up front with my flags and wave caution during the races... its a rush...
We never play hard in it, infact during the race we sit by turn one, just watching, relaxing and listening to orders from race control. The only action during a race we had was chasing a kiyaker off the course.

anywho.. good advice.
Hugs
Happy Holidays
Jill (Flag Girl)

Old 12-28-2003, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

i would think that the manufacture has no responsiblity and the repair shop does. as to weather you are intitled to a new boat are not, i would have to say only if the repairs exceed the value of the boat as in a total loss. tuff spot to be in as cashbrain states get an attorney in volved, you may want to contact you insurance also. im in the auto repair business and like it are not **** happens, and cars get damaged we will always try to make it right. but in all the years, we have never replaced a car just because it was damaged, and we have had cars fall off lifts, roll into buildings, and smash into one another going around builds. good luck on your situation.

later
Old 12-28-2003, 09:36 AM
mikejill

I wouldnt hold the manufactuer... Im going to them for assistance. I want to know their opinion and hopefully get them to back us with the photos. I sent them photos so they could tell us if its worth a fight or not.
They destroyed my new boat...It was perfect.. It should be that way again, and the only way I can see it perfect is new... thats how we gave it to them... its hould be that way when we get it back.

Old 12-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with several of the folks above. The shop will try to fix it if possible. If you truely think it is NOT fixable. Then you need someone else to do an estimate. Your insurance company needs to be involved. There is a dollar amount for your boat that where it is considered too far gone to repair, Totalled. You really need an non-partisan's opinion here.

Good Luck, Jim
Old 12-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This story has made me feel sick. I feel for you and your fiance. good luck with your situation and i hope it works out for you......Ricky......
Old 12-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

All the above is good info, also get another person that does fiberglass work to come and look at the damage as well, to get another persons opinion. If they did that much damage to your boat, do you want them to fix it?
Old 12-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Steve_H

Originally posted by Tricky919
This story has made me feel sick. I feel for you and your fiance. good luck with your situation and i hope it works out for you......Ricky......
i feel the same way
ive heard you can never get repaired glass work to match the original glass. hundred different shades of white. might be close but wont match perfectly.

Old 12-28-2003, 10:51 AM
mikejill

That aint helping....
I dont know what were going to do, and im too afraid to ride in that boat now. It was a good boat, and we babied it. Ii guess I should have had them sign a you break it you buy it thing,,,
works everywhere else... why not with our boat.

Quick Reply: Dream Boat Destroyed.. Can anyone help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.