Notices

Gladiator or Skater

Old 01-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments on my Gladiator. The Gladiators are great boats, as are the cats from Skater. The problem is that they are not really comparable. To me the first decision here needs to be between a cat and a vee hull. Then once that decision is made you can start comparing similar boats against each other.

If anybody is looking for a Gladiator, I'll make a sweet deal on mine. Throw some air conditioning in the boat along with a stereo and you'll have a bad a** poker run rig. Or, if you don't want the canopy, have it removed. Tres Martin is converting a canopied Gladiator right now. Click the link below to see pictures of the project.

Martin Offshore - Projects
Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 PM
simon johnston

taking the canopy off your boat would be like cutting the roof off a gull wing mercedes and making it into a covertible !!!! only 2 in existance ? even more reason to keep it on !!! that pic looking at the nose looking back ...AWSOME !!!!

Old 01-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Will I agree with what you are saying. I am going to sell the Powerplay and sit out a year and see what I like the best. I just have to be that guy for a summer but I would rather do that instead of spending a ton of money and being disapointed with my decission. Whats the number on the sweet deal???? Maybe you could persuade me! I am the one who e mailed you a couple of weeks ago. The cousin of Hoen.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Registered

the 32 skater is bad to the bone but with the long arneson drives they sit to low at idle and will take water over the exhaust and the are difficult to unload off of a trailer this pkg is great on a 36 or 40 but be sure to get in a 32 before you make a decision
Old 01-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Trader1 : Give me a call and we'll talk. I'll be in and out all day tomorrow (Wednesday) at (410) 289-3936.

I agree that it would be a shame to remove the canopy, but it can be done. I personally would ad AC and run in comfort inside the canopy, but that's just me.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally posted by trader1
I am going to sell the Powerplay and sit out a year and see what I like the best.

So how much do you want for that PowerPlay?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Registered

I think 70 is a fair price.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:17 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello!....... My name is T2x......... and I have read this entire thread. I really enjoyed seeing my name from time to time and regret being unable to attend this party at the beginning........

That having been said........... The two choices remind me of a comparison between a tomato and a suitcase.
I.E....... There is little to base the decision upon.

However....here goes nuttin':

1. The Gladiator....... great poseur boat.... chicks dig'em.... guys (at least those who are phallically challenged) also adore them.... and the product is a sound investment, although the "legendary" part will probably evaporate like 188th street. Good rough water hull....... (The Apache 41 is a GREAT rough water hull).
Performance is right up there with the rest of the 8' wide, vacuum bagged, stepped vees (yawn).

2. 32 Skater (new style) wonderful all around boat with sufficient freeboard and forward entry to challenge Key West's race course on a rough day (similar aspect ratios to a Shadow/Chris Cat, while providing at least 15 mph more top speed than the older designs). Too much speed for Bravos, hence,.... I suppose,...... the Arneson nonsense. Go for #6's....you won't regret it..and it will be a simple plug and play when you upgrade your power after the warrantees expire (and you will). The hull is stable to 145 at least.

Straight up comparison....... excluding the Arnesons which I consider a mistake...at best...and will REDUCE the resale while making the boat downright dangerous....at worst. The Skater will hold its value BETTER than the Cig., go faster, out handle, and out run it as well. The Cig may get more girls, if that's a priority But the Skater is no slouch in that department, either.

T2x............. Buy a Skater....Be born again!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

T2x thanks for the input. talk to me more about why you dislike the arneson drive???
Old 01-21-2004, 04:50 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by trader1
T2x thanks for the input. talk to me more about why you dislike the arneson drive???
Very sturdy...and in some cases gives a speed advantage......due to lack of parasitic gear loss.... Howard Arneson is a respected visionary, etc, etc,

Problems:

....... no up trim...("rocker plates" are a bandaid gimmick).........and......the steering is compromised by the geometry of the gimbals, overall leverage, and etc....They are also a B*t*h to dock.

With a boat like the 32 Skater which has a a long constant section and a more abrupt and full forward entry(anti-stuff design), you don't want to run too much negative angle as it will force the bow down and create various handling problems..... (yeah, I know, you can fool with the above mentioned rocker approach...but that involves opening a whole 'nuther can of worms.) Bottom line is a good set up should not require devices that lower the bow needing counter-action by devices that raise the bow...... when a simple #6 drive will carry the whole kit and kaboodle without any added gizmos.

Go with # 6 drives...... you'll thank me.

T2x

Quick Reply: Gladiator or Skater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.