Notices

Gladiator or Skater

Old 01-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Havasu Cig

The day of the DSM Poker run was a good example. It was very rough that day, and the cats that ran did not finish near the front. The only boat in front of me was Kenny in his 42 Tiger.
That's true! I was in HavasuCig's boat that day. There were ALOT of faster boats there that day. The water was pretty rough...5'-8' swells. We outran the entire fleet of boats except the 42' Tiger with 900's that day. The cats weren't even close to us. Actually, an alarm went off in the boat and we stopped and opened the hatch for approx. 3 minutes and then kept going, and no other boats were in sight! I think the first cat was in 7th place or so.

When we got back to DSM after the run, alot of people were banged up and actually bloody!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:38 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

In many of the poker runs I've been to....at least 50% of the boats entered.......... beat everybody else.

I call it the miracle of the mid pack......... or the myopic factor (the inability to see over one's endless bow).

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 01-23-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:42 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by craig223
Don't you have one that looks like a watermelon seed? What's that mean?
Actually my boat has a "tunnel" in it........ something you enter.........or run over things with.

Either way....I like the feeling.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Gladiator or Skater-3197_9707-med.jpg  
Old 01-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by T2x
In many of the poker runs I've been to....at least 50% of the boats entered.......... beat everybody else.

I call it the miracle of the mid pack......... or the myopic factor (the inability to see over one's endless bow).

T2x
No reason to BS anybody. 60+ boats ran, and we were the second one to make it back to the harbor. 86 mile open ocean course, not along the shoreline like others.

Once we passed the initial pack of boats the only one in front of my bow was a Tiger.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Registered

Originally posted by T2x

T2x
T2X,
Actually we were the 2nd boat to Catalina and 2nd overall in the DSM Poker Run.

There was no "miracle of the mid pack" either. Say what you want to, but you weren't there!!
Old 01-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being in front of most poker runs doesnt mean you were the fastest boat. NYC is a different story and I know their were others that have a first to what ever land mark. Maybe this poker run you were in front in was supposed to be a race, if so thats quite an acomplishment to be 2nd behind a 42 tiger. Were their no big tunnels entered?? Not bashing just a question. We have run a lot of poker runs and run in the middle to back of the pack, everyone runs them at a different speed is all I am trying to say.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Registered

Originally posted by dreamboater
being in front of most poker runs doesnt mean you were the fastest boat. NYC is a different story and I know their were others that have a first to what ever land mark. Maybe this poker run you were in front in was supposed to be a race, if so thats quite an acomplishment to be 2nd behind a 42 tiger. Were their no big tunnels entered?? Not bashing just a question. We have run a lot of poker runs and run in the middle to back of the pack, everyone runs them at a different speed is all I am trying to say.
HavasuCig's Top Gun runs about 82mph (HP500's) It wasn't close to being the fastest boat out there, but it sure wasn't the slowest either. Out in the rough water, the Top Gun was running FLAT OUT 81-82mph in the big water with 5 people. 4 of us were 225lbs+ each---except Mrs. HavasuCig. (she's about 112lbs for the record!)
There were a few bigger cats. I can remember a 40' Skater, a 32' Skater, a 36' Skater and alot of fast V-bottoms (85+mph) that fell way behind us in the rough water.
As HavasuCig said before, no reason to B.S, anyone here, just the plain facts!! If your a non-believer (like T2X) watch the video of the run and then you will believe.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an accomplishment, just a fact. I am simply countering the argument that a cat will beat a V in all conditions.

Every poker run I have run in, I have run hard. This includes the cats I have had. I know that some don't, but most do.

The talk after the runs is always who was the first boat to the first stop. Nobody really cares about who won the poker hands.

Kenny spanked everybody that day in his tiger, and we happened to finish behind him. I would have run just as hard no matter what, must come from my days of racing motorcycles.

I have run in a few runs at Havasu, and we were mid pack because of the flat water. Take what you want from it, but the rough water was an equalizer that day.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Registered

No question the cigs are extremely good rough water boats. For the record I really like Cigs. But, I can not believe the 36 and 40 Skaters were running hard and couldnt keep up. Why dont they race Cats and V's together in offshore races? Its not a fair race. Everyone has their own preference getting back to the orginal question. Now, a Gladiator in rough sees vs the 32 Skater thats a different story. I think it would come down too tolerance of being tossed around, because both boats are going to take a pretty good beating.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered

Sounds like it was a fun ride, any pics?

Quick Reply: Gladiator or Skater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.