Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tommy Bahama in Orange Beach (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67861-tommy-bahama-orange-beach.html)

shifter 01-04-2004 12:42 PM

Tommy Bahama in Orange Beach

1 Attachment(s)
Congratulations to everyone at Nemschoffsports! Mark and Paul were on there game that day. It was great to see that boat win its last race.
Three years ago we went to the worlds for the first race as an under dog. There was a lot of critisim about that boat. Trimax drives, Weismann dropboxes, Koury engines, center rudder ect...
After the second lap we had a 40 second lead on the field. We did not win that race but the boat was the talk of the worlds and every race from then on it was the boat to beat.
The boat was rigged by Gary Stray of Supercat Rigging. Between Gary and us we designed a purpose built transmission for the supercat class. WMK.
The boat was always expertly maintained by Richard, Douglas, and the rest of the Nemschoff crew.
Good job guys!!!!!
:D
pat W

R Addiction 01-04-2004 12:48 PM

Soit is true....last race!!! Damn, always fun to watch. Why are they hanging it up?:(

Comanche3Six 01-04-2004 01:05 PM

I just watched that race on SpeedVision. Rough day for the cats, but Tommy Bahama flew nice and level.
Very impressive!
Also Liquid Metal looked great!

shifter 01-04-2004 01:10 PM

You will have to ask Mark.

Here is a pic and some info on the drop box.
82 lbs
Dry-sump
Left and right rotation
Large ratio selection
13.5 inches center to center

Food for thought.
pat W:D

shifter 01-04-2004 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WMK

Comanche3Six 01-04-2004 03:41 PM

Is that drop box an enclosed chain with lube sprayed through nozzles fed by that external line? How much power is it rated for? How much power does it use?
Looks great!

GLH 01-04-2004 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
Offshore really can't afford to loose the quality teams that understand the meaning of professionalism. But it seems about par for the course. Very few stick around long and that needs to change.
Well I wonder what is scarring the sponsors maybe APBASBIOSSPRAMOUSE! :D

Comanche3Six 01-04-2004 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Too Old

Offshore really can't afford to loose the quality teams that understand the meaning of professionalism. But it seems about par for the course. Very few stick around long and that needs to change.

I was thinking of Zero Defect when I read this.

shifter 01-05-2004 03:37 PM

CigaretteFireFox,
Thanks.
The box is all gear drive. Straight cut. Ball and roller bearing. This particular box is rated for 1000 ft/lbs of torque. It has a big brother that is rated for 2000 ft/lbs. The drag is very low.
As far as people sticking around it seems that the OSS is headed by some long time racers.
If the rules had not changed after the 96 season Laith would have run in the states. These people do it for fun not because they have to make a living at it. When the politics get to be too much they make a change.
pat W

Comanche3Six 01-05-2004 03:51 PM

Originally posted by shifter
CigaretteFireFox,
Thanks.
The box is all gear drive. Straight cut. Ball and roller bearing. This particular box is rated for 1000 ft/lbs of torque. It has a big brother that is rated for 2000 ft/lbs. The drag is very low.
As far as people sticking around it seems that the OSS is headed by some long time racers.
If the rules had not changed after the 96 season Laith would have run in the states. These people do it for fun not because they have to make a living at it. When the politics get to be too much they make a change.
pat W

I appreciate the quick response. Looks like a nice way to drop the power down from that BBC to an Arneson Drive with a lot of reliability. I love gears!
Thanks
Ed