Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smith Mountain Lake noise regulation? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67930-smith-mountain-lake-noise-regulation.html)

mlitefan 01-05-2004 10:14 AM

Smith Mountain Lake noise regulation?

Anyone have any info other than what is posted at their site? I am going to enter into the poker run in May and saw some changes at the SMLBA site.

http://www.smlba.com/

OldSchool 01-05-2004 10:24 AM

Dang, I wanted to do this run in the cold and rain this year.:D :D They have had bad luck with the weather the last couple of years, slap some noise violation tickets on top of that and maybe next year they can have a pontoon poker run!!

mlitefan 01-05-2004 10:37 AM

I was wondering if they are just going to "warn" those with exhaust that go above the limit or will they actually fine you? I will dig and see what I can find out. I added headers at the end of last summer and am not sure if I will be above that level or not. Never really checked so I have no idea.

As for the weather, that time of the year is so hit or miss around here. I usually spend Memorial day weekend at Buggs Island but don't think I will be this year. Water is too high and odds are, it's going to rain!:mad:

clearcut3 01-05-2004 10:45 AM

I went to this run with some friends last year. It has the potential to be a GREAT poker run. Everything was set up very nice for the entire weekend (Friday night party was great).

We have decided not to attend this year because the 53 degrees and rain last year was just too much for that long of a tow. If this noise violation is enforced we definitely would have to take a different boat this year:rolleyes:

Noise violations SUCK!! If you buy a house by an airport don't b*tch about the planes...if you buy one on a lake don't b*tch about boats!

DENNYB 01-05-2004 10:45 AM

mlitefan, give Mark a call at Shoreline Marina and he can give you a heads up on the noise laws in the area. Mark will be more than happy to talk with you. His # is1-540-721- 3664.

mlitefan 01-05-2004 11:26 AM

Denny, that is exactly what I was going to do. I am only about an hour and a half, two at the most from him. Glad to see him on board as a new Sunsation Dealer!

dreamboater 01-05-2004 11:47 AM

I was trying to talk my Dad into this run this year but like everyone always says the weather is cold and rainy every year. With noise violations he really wont go, dry exhaust + 1000KE = loud. Why not push it a little later in the year? I have been to the lake and it is really nice but that time a year is touch and go.

clearcut3 01-05-2004 12:43 PM

Originally posted by dreamboater
I was trying to talk my Dad into this run this year but like everyone always says the weather is cold and rainy every year. With noise violations he really wont go, dry exhaust + 1000KE = loud. Why not push it a little later in the year? I have been to the lake and it is really nice but that time a year is touch and go.
We asked several people the same last year and the consensus was that the lake was just too crowded once summer starts to hold the event with the large boats and some of the speeds the were afraid they would see:rolleyes: . They won't have to worry if it's 53 and raining :D

But like I stated earlier, if the weather is good, it will be a great one to go to.

Gizmo 01-05-2004 01:16 PM

Hey Larry, We aren't going to Buggs for Memorial weekend either. The last two years cured me! Instead, we are planning to go to the Tidewater Yacht marina the weekend of July 4th and then go to Buggs for the remainder of the week. Maybe some of the Carolina gang will come up. I will bring that up at the Chillout.
Have you given any thought to going to the Sunsation Rally? John and I have talked about it. It's the 23rd-25th of July. Thinking about leaving on the Thursday, early am. It's about a 12-13 hour drive.:)

Sydwayz 01-05-2004 03:43 PM

To my knowledge, no one was hassled for noise last year. It was way early in the season, which attributes the lousy weather. Hopefully, this year will clear up. Hell, we had 70* in January already.

There were several BIG BIG power boats there last year.
rbtnt of OSO has a big loud twin Eliminator.
There was a 37 staggered OL with probably twin 1100s. He actually lost an engine at Bridgewater Plaza.
Also a 37 Talon, which took top looking boat honors, also big power.
Not to mention the host marina's Donzi 38ZR which was loud too.

I would not abort due to noise worries, but also, please do not send any tickets to me. :D :D

mlitefan 01-05-2004 06:46 PM

Jay, Gina and I will most likely be heading down to the Keys in early August/late July. Our 20 year wedding anniversary is in August and she really wants to head down there.

I wonder if I can talk her into the rally instead??? Hmmm:D

As for pushing the SML run later into the season, I agree that it would be a bad idea. While the lake has a lot of shoreline, it really gets narrow in some spots. They get some pretty big boats out there and I think it would be a recipe for disaster.

Looks like I better get that Sunsation Jacket I have been looking at!!!:cool:

BAJA WILL 01-05-2004 09:15 PM

OK OK OK,

Yea the SMLA is and has been doing their best to make life ****ty for us on SML. Their a bunch of *****y, old, *******s that want to ban anything with a motor, except their pontoon boat. As for getting a ticket, you won't get a ticket as long as you have "baffles" on your exhaust, and the game wardens count the rubber flaps as baffles. I personally had a discussion with the Game Wardens about this and they don't even have the equipment to enforce any noise law if they wanted to.

As for the run being so early in the season, it is because we have allot of idiots on our lake that will cut you off during warm season:D

Oh yea the weather has been crappy for like the past 3 years, thus I don't even enter anymore, I go down to the Lake Murray run. However if you do want to bracve it I will host the OSO GATHERING on the Friday usually 2pm until ???

WILL:p

rbtnt 01-05-2004 11:07 PM

I towed 8 hours the last two years to run in the rain and planning to do it again this year. We ran last year until I lost a lifter and then we finished with the truck like a lot of others did.

The Friday night party is great and Will did a fantastic job hosting the Friday afternoon get together.

See you guys there.

Will, do they count wet headers as being baffled?:D

Sea Ya 01-06-2004 01:27 PM

A later date would be helpful. It conflicts with bike week in Myrtle Beach. Weather in May is iffy in Virginia, but fine in South Carolina.

jspeeddemon 02-10-2004 05:09 PM

My understanding from area participants in the poker run, if you add some cheap rubber flappers to the exhaust for the run, they will preclude you from a ticket, as Will mentioned.

excursion 02-10-2004 09:26 PM

I will say that the pre-party at Will's has made the last two years poker-run worth going too. So what do you have planned for us this year, I'll bring a box of beads!!!
See you on Friday, May 21, sometime in the afternoon, save me my parking space.

James

jspeeddemon 03-08-2004 02:30 PM

Any update on the noise regulation on Smith Mountain. Who's planning to attend the Poker Run this year?

mlitefan 03-08-2004 09:12 PM

I am attending along with a buddy of mine with a 28 Heat...

I just have to laugh my tail off...I came across this tonight..

Saturday demonstrated the extremes of Smith Mountain water sports: 11 tiny Sunfish raced while dozens of grotesquely overpowered motor boats shattered the tranquility of the lake in the annual "Poker Run" event. There is no doubt that 40- multi-engined powerboats are suitable for large bays and the ocean, but they fit in on Smith Mountain Lake about well as a tractor-trailer on a golf course. These are the only boats that should be named "Wet Dream".
http://www.roanoke.com/smithmountain...dner/1218.html

BAJA WILL 03-09-2004 12:45 PM

Rbtnt, yea for the baffles just buy a pair or two of the rubber flaps, for your exhaust Oh and you do need water coming through it or they will harass you.

James,
I feel a great summer coming on, I am ordering a MOMO wheel like yours for this summer, got to have it.

As for the OSO preparty yes it is on rain, shine or snow:p I may try to do a Marti Gras theme for the OSO party, and kick off the weekend with a Hurricane:crazy: I will be there from Noon on. If any new OSO ers need directions we are at marker B-23 on Blackwater river.

Oh and some of you have pics of years past please post them!!!

Kick summer off

Reckless32 03-09-2004 03:40 PM

If you find yourself not going or would simply like to try one of the newest and best "bang for the buck" runs in these times of high insurance/gas prices, come to Virginia Beach the weekend of August 6-8 for the Little Creek Regatta/HRPA Chesapeake Bay Poker Run. A snap shot of the event goes like this:

The only multiple boating type event in the mid-Atlantic, possibly the entire east coast, that involves a sailboat regatta; two-class poker run; and fishing tournament. There will be two organized parties, one on Friday night and one on Saturday night after the events. Saturday afternoon before the party, there will be an interim Margaritaville setup hosted by the local Parrothead chapter while folks hang around the docks and talk about the run. Live bands for both party's Here's the kicker. It's only $175 ($150 if entered prior to June 1st) which includes one poker hand; 4 shirts; 4 lunch tickets; and 4 entry's to both party's. Can't beat that with a stick. Schedule is as follows:
1) Friday 5-10pm Captains meeting/party.
2) 10am poker run kickoff.
3) 12-1:30pm lunch at Hooters at Waterside Norfolk.
4) 3pm Margaritaville starts
5) 5-10pm awards party.
6) Day run for a leisurely raftup at the eastern shore tiki-bar.

Poker Run has six stops for the go-fast class with 5 stops for the "cruiser/family boat" class. Go-fast course runs approximately 100 miles to include an Atlantic leg; Chesbay leg; Elizabeth River leg; back across the bay to the finish/party point. Overnight slips are plentiful adjacent to the party's.

You can go to www.littlecreekregatta.org for more info and to download the application. You can also go to our club site for the link. The site is continuing to update itself with more and more info as we go along. I'll be writing up a more informative post in the poker run post in the Poker Run forum. Or you can PM me if you'd like.

LETHAL WEAPON 03-09-2004 08:29 PM

I TALKED TO THE GUY IN CHARGE OF THE RUN THIS YEAR,I JUST CANNOT REMEMBER HIS NAME RIGHT NOW.I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT THE NOISE ISSUE,AS I AM RUNNING 2000HP THROUGH STRAIGHT HEADERS.HE ASSURED ME THAT WE WILL NOT BE BOTHERED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT FOR NOISE VIOLATIONS,BECAUSE OF THE PROCEEDS GOING TO HELP DIFFERENT AREAS OF THE COMMUNITY.JUST WATCH THE DRINKING.LAST YEAR WAS ROUGH IN THE RAIN, BUT WE WILL TRY AGAIN THIS YEAR. HOPE FOR THE BEST.

LATER,

HOWARD

rbtnt 03-09-2004 08:37 PM

Thanks for the update. I'll pack the mufflers just in case I need to slide them on.

Spectre Man 03-09-2004 08:46 PM

Originally posted by 27Fountain
Rbtnt, yea for the baffles just buy a pair or two of the rubber flaps, for your exhaust Oh and you do need water coming through it or they will harass you.

James,
I feel a great summer coming on, I am ordering a MOMO wheel like yours for this summer, got to have it.

As for the OSO preparty yes it is on rain, shine or snow:p I may try to do a Marti Gras theme for the OSO party, and kick off the weekend with a Hurricane:crazy: I will be there from Noon on. If any new OSO ers need directions we are at marker B-23 on Blackwater river.

Oh and some of you have pics of years past please post them!!!

Kick summer off

Will - Do we know each other. My name is Phil and I live in Winding Waters just past the -S- turn on the Roanoke River side. Obviously, I am the one with the 36' Spectre w/675 KEs. I generally hang with Mark from Shoreline and Doug Irvin (34' DCB w/800 Teagues). Are you up by Magnum Marine with Tim (30' Eliminator w/1000hp Magic Wrench engines) and Johnny?

clearcut3 03-09-2004 08:59 PM

Will

We will be bringing a group of drunks up to hang out:p ;) ...we have 3 bdr. @ Bernards for the weekend. We are going to try and leave early enough to come to your party on Friday...hated to miss it last year.

Question for you: Where can we get a map of the lake before we come (or when we get there) so we can locate your house by water. Our map from last year didn't quite weather the storm if ya know what I mean :p

I remember locating your house last year when we went by on Saturday but not positive I remember where it is. Look forward to coming up...and hoping the weather is good this year.:)

Spectre Man 03-10-2004 07:57 AM

At Bridgewater Plaza go to the top deck in the front where the parking lot is, then go to the Chamber of Commerce. They have maps.

clearcut3 03-10-2004 08:55 AM

Thanks Spectre Man!!

SHORELINE MARINA 03-10-2004 09:29 AM

SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE POKER RUN (NOISE)

HEY GUY'S THE WORD IN OFFICIAL! THE SLMBA HAS CONTACTED TO GOVERNING AGENCY AND THERE WILL BE NO RESTRICTIONS DURING THE POKER RUN! AND MY CRYSTAL BALL SAYS GREAT WEATHER AND LOTS OF SUN! WE AT SHORELINE MARINA ,YOUR PLATINUM SPONSOR WOULD LOVE TO SEE TOUR BOATS HERE ON SML! ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL BRANDT GAWOR @ 540-537-4292. WORD HAS IT ONLY 20 SPACES LEFT!

BAJA WILL 03-10-2004 12:47 PM

:p

Howard,
I would love for you to come by I haven't seen you since two PRs back at Lake Murray.

Phil,
We have meet briefly, at bridgewater torwards the end of the summer, I was in my friends 21 Checkmate, we were leaving and i helped you dock. Also I do know Tim and Johnny very well, I was out with Johnny past two weekends.

Clearcut,
You missed my party,:eek: Its a little less organized, it started three PRs back just as a place for OSOers to meet before the PR but has grown into allot of fun. Actually it has doubled every year, with that said bring bumpers so you can tie up.

As for maps, if they are free I will stop in there and grab a few and mail them to you if you like, that goes for anyone.

clearcut3 03-10-2004 12:53 PM

Will

If you happen to pick one of those maps up PM me and I will give you an address to mail it to. I will be coming up with Howard and a few other people so then we will know how to get to your house.

Can't wait. Thanks for the help!!

Michael

SML-POKERRUN 04-16-2004 11:42 AM

HEY POKER RUN FRIENDS,
Brandt Gawor here, chairman for this years event. The planning is going great and sponsorship is up 40% from last year!!!
This year we are having a DVD video produced, our 1st official program, 50/50 raffle, free coffee and donuts on Sat. morning, Hooters girls, and more. This is a year of firsts. We also have new slips this year for you to be all together instead of having 25 or so at the gas docks.
ONLY 10 SPOTS OPEN.
Call for registration info 540-537-4292.
Post questions / comments, or call me.
Thanks for your support, BG. :cool: