Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trailer locks? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/68306-trailer-locks.html)

Keith 01-08-2004 06:17 PM

Trailer locks?

I just saw another "stolen boat" post. At least once I'd like to see them find it and then hang the ba$tard who stole it.

Questions for those with trailers:
  • Do trailer locks work? If yes, which ones are best?
  • Or is this another matter of "if they want it bad enough, they'll get it", short of removing all the wheels?
  • Is there such a thing as a "LoJack" or similar tracking device available for trailer/boat owners?

Hot Duck 01-09-2004 03:00 AM

Hey Keith! Some good questions that I would like to see opinions on as well. A Lo-Jack type of system for boats would be great, but I don't know of any that exist. As for the locks, I figure that if I use them and the boat gets stolen, at least the insurance company can't say that I didn't try to secure my property. I mean, leaving the trailer tongue unlocked is like leaving your car open with the keys in the ignition. In my opinion, a simple tongue lock may make the thief move on to an easier target.

On tongue locks, I personally think that the kind that fit up into the coupler (like the ball) and lock in place are more secure than the ones that simply lock the tongue latch down. If just the latch is locked, a thief can still tow the trailer with a smaller ball or a simple post attached to a trailer hitch in place of a ball. With the other type of tongue lock, it would be very difficult to tow the trailer at all. Just my opinion.

I personally lock everything up as well as possible. The tongue is locked with a ball type lock when the trailer is not on the truck. When the trailer is on the truck, the tongue latch is locked down and the hitch is locked to the truck. Now all they can do is remove the nut on the bottom of the ball to separate the truck and trailer. Not mine though, it is welded! Pretty secure unless they have a torch or just want to steal the whole rig, truck and all.

Call me crazy, but I have thought about these things a lot because I do a lot of traveling with the boat and car trailers! Of course, it they really want it bad enough, they will find a way! :mad:

LOBSTERBOY 01-09-2004 05:19 AM

Hey you guys need to call Craig at STERNLOCK that boy has a lock for everything !! Great guy too , i think they are sponsors of OSO !

CAP071 01-09-2004 05:42 AM

Yep they work great for the average joe stealing your stuff. But a pro will still get yout boat if he really wants it. Yes I have seen serval posts on here concerning a lo-jack device. You may have to do a search of past posts

MnFastBoat 01-09-2004 06:06 AM

I used to have a link to an alarm system for your boat or Rv
I Thought it had some type of tracking by gps in it.
was around 800.
Since I have lostthe link :(

105mph_38_2003 01-09-2004 06:50 AM

Viper just came out with a tracking device that can be put in or on any vehicle and has nationwide tracking...I think it retails for about $600. It is not an alarm just a tracking device so you will know where your property is,just have to call the police and tell them.

Formula Outlaw 01-09-2004 07:01 AM

I tried a "Gorilla" "ball" lock once, and just for the hell of it tried unlocking it with four master lock keys I had on my key ring. Three of them opened it as easily as the original key. :rolleyes: Now I lock the latch, and wrap multiple layers of hard cased chain around the whole area, looks like a cocoon of chain. I also chain the wheels to the frame. When at the ramp, I chain the truck to the trailer. A pro could still get it, but it's gonna take time and draw a whole lot of unwanted attention.

ospreyproduction 01-09-2004 07:05 AM

The "Gorilla" lock is no safe way to go. I lost a utility trailer with one on it and there wasn't a single shaving of metal on the ground. I have a Huge cable that goes into a "eye" in a concrete pad. It has one of those Coke Machine locks on it. I don't think that it's going anywhere.

pullmytrigger 01-09-2004 09:28 PM

I have two heavy cable locks on two of the four trailer wheels that go through the wheels and around the frame, I have a hardened lock that holds the coupler lever in the down position that my hacksaw wouldnt touch, and a hitchball type lock.....If they want the boat they will have to defeat 4 locks and move the truck I park in front of it in the driveway.....at the ramp I disconnect the trailer and lock it seperately.....otherwise they cut the cable locks and simply break in and steal your whole truck and trailer as a unit.......they KNOW how to steal trucks!!........sounds like alot but I lost the boat of my dreams and it was not fun.........doug:)

Keith 01-09-2004 09:58 PM

At least there are some very effective ways to protect the truck, and maybe even the boat, (i.e., electronic interruption switches, and/or relay combinations, lojack, etc.), but the trailer situation sounds "iffy" at best. I suppose there is no such thing as "too much" in the way of precaution if you value the possession.

Hey Will, hope all is well down there in OC. If I do this, we may be stopping by this summer. You have space on your parking lot?!?! :D :D