Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
o/t my latest question about freaking houses :) >

o/t my latest question about freaking houses :)

Notices

o/t my latest question about freaking houses :)

Old 01-13-2004, 05:59 PM
rocksolid

#1 You must protect yourself. If your the contractor or if you hire one, set up your payouts to go through your title company. Not only will they warrant your property form prior liens etc. They will insure you through construction, making sure all lien wavers are collected AND IF A CONTRACTOR OR SUB files a fales lien or fails to pay someone down the line.... The title company would be responsable for paying not you.
You pay a little for this but it' well worth it. Many, many stories on this very thing.
#2 From a contractor,,, Hire someone to build your home on contract. No cost plus. Bid it out to three or more, from there make a choice. You need to know what you want Colors, cabinets, flooring etc. and make NO Changes....... Changes are the main reason prices get out of control.
There are many choices, but stick to a plan. You COULD OF SHOULD OF WOULD OF on every choice you make.

All your building question will be address by quality builders, and you will save money.

#3 Build your own house the third time around.

GOOD LUCK

Old 01-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocksolid - great advice man!

Explain to me the building it on a contract process, sorry but I really don't understand it all. Do I just ask the builders I've talked to that I'd like to bid it out on contract?

We're trying to get everything all straight so there are no changes, but no telling what might come up.

Shoot me an email if it's too much to type here
[email protected]

Again, I appreciate all the help I'm getting here.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Registered

bump for rocksolid
Old 01-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Registered

Does the house have a upstairs? If so put a big unit (5 ton) for down stairs and a (1 ton) for upstairs.

Save yourself all the headache of having a builder and do all the contracting yourself. Maybe even do some of the work yourself. Here is a place that will consult you in building a home. They will even secure your loan as your builder. ubuildyourownhome.com Not sure if they are located in your area. Check it out. I am sure there is others out there if this one won't work for you.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Registered

this is our first house so there's no way I can do it myself, I'd love to but I just don't have the know how, or time to get it all together.

It's only going to have a bonus upstairs.