Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best 28' performance boat for rough water? >

Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Notices

Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Old 01-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice First Post !

Originally posted by Reindl Powerboats
Maybe we could stage a showdown up at the Poker Run up there? Last I heard Glassdave finished second or third out of 100 or so boats when it got rough. In only our 24 One Design with a Small block?

[email protected]

only problem was LEOPAJM (Jerry M) was one of the boats we couldnt catch. we did in fact pass Dan but i think he was going easy on his passangers. it was very rough. also remember seeing him raise his throttle hand and shake off a cramp as we went by . he had two sticks to my one and it was a busy throttle day. we took the beating and had a great time. there were 3 boats ahead of us coming up the river JM and his saber MadCow and his 42sonic and some other boat i cant remember right now. (once again Chris sorry bout the boat, i know a good glassman )

we need to do a run in the 28 Batboat

i love these "my boat is faster/better than yer boat" threads. . . . i like em all
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

oh . . . just for the record. my favorite rough water 28 is a toss up between the 28Bat or a Magnum Sport. to each his own, eh

ss930- what part of the country are you in. Chris is great about giving rides in the boats. the 28 has a ride you just hafta experiance. it dosent "feel" like any other kinda boat.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-10-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by glassdave
ss930- what part of the country are you in. Chris is great about giving rides in the boats. the 28 has a ride you just hafta experiance. it dosent "feel" like any other kinda boat.
Dave,
I'm in CT. I've never seen one around here. I'm a cat guy, but I'm casually starting to think about getting a smaller vee (28'-32')... insurance is a killer on the cat. I'm intrigued by the BB since it appears to be a hybrid of the vee/cat. My major concerns with my next vee is big water handling, then speed, then cost. I don't think I'm going new (unless the deal is RIGHT) for resale reasons. I'm considering a 30' Y2K Superboat because I like the 7' beam (better in the rough and faster than 8'/8'6"). I've never seen a used BB before, but I am open to the idea if I find a nice one for the right money. Either way I don't want my next boat to be any slower than 85 mph... having a cat spoils you.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: It's Not The Same Catagory

Originally posted by WickedWon
(Referring to BatBoats (or LawnDarts)):
As I've said many times your stuff is amazing BUT it's barely a boat, more like a freak'n missile.
That says it all, doesn't it? I'm not going to make any great claims, because I don't have any real experience in any 28-footers other than my BatBoat. I will say that we were 14th overall out of 120 or so at 1000 Islands in 1999, second only to a 388 Hustler with 2500 hp in Barnegat Bay in 2000, and started about 60th at this years Tome's Landing Run, but were 7th at the third stop. In both cases, everything in front of us had two engines, was over 32' and either a cat or a supercharged vee. I don't profess to be any great driver, so there must be something to the design.

Hard to find for $50k or less, though....

Anyone here is welcome for a demo ride if you're ever in the Northeast. You tell me.

Miller, Shane, DaveP, Craig223, Shanghaied Again, George Linder and others have been for a ride - ask them.

Last edited by C_Spray; 01-10-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: It's Not The Same Catagory

Originally posted by C_Spray

Anyone here is welcome for a demo ride if you're ever in the Northeast. You tell me.
Please look me up if you are ever coming through CT with the "lawn dart"!
Old 01-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Nice First Post !

Originally posted by todd35
I am sorry that I have made some people upset I was just clearly stating the facts (And Blue Book Value). I thought we were trying to help this guy out not put him in to a hole.

By the way, how much does a 28' saber cost? or a 41' cost?
Please do not be made I do not want to hurt your Feelings.......
If the value of a 28 is down right now, ( along with top guns among others if anyone is watching) then it seems to me that it's a better value not worse. How much lower will they go? My 28 cigarette is coming up. At some point well built boats reach bottom and go no lower. $40k for a 28 saber, if there are any around for that w/o outboards, is a really good value for anyone that has spent anytime in one in rough water. Thanks for the apology. You didn't hurt our feelings, just insulted our intelligence. NK
Old 01-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SS930
Is it safe to say that a 28' Bat will spank any other 28' in the rough? Not talking about amenities here.

Not trying to start chit, I've never been in a Bat boat... but I am very curious about them.
In another thread someone posted that they would kick an apache's ass in a 28 bat boat in big water. BTW 41' apache

Not to hurt anyones feelings or start an argument but why does it seem people think bat boats are immune from the problem all other 24 and 28' offshore boats suffer from in big water? Lack of length and weight. Remember boys, size matters. NK
Old 01-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I knew I'd hear from the Batboys !!!

Originally posted by Reindl Powerboats
Pretty Bold Statement. Willing to put any money on that? I personally would throw $10,000 on Brent in rough water anyday. I know Saber makes one hell of a boat, but to say NO boats in the same category is bold.

Maybe we could stage a showdown up at the Poker Run up there? Last I heard Glassdave finished second or third out of 100 or so boats when it got rough. In only our 24 One Design with a Small block?

[email protected]
Notice the little reference to "category" ... as WW so astutely pointed out as well . The Batboats are very cool , however ... it's a different animal all together. There are a few guys up here that might surprise you though ...

JM
Old 01-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BTW .........

I would like to try my hand on a Batboat someday !!!

JM
Old 01-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Registered

That's a bold statement!

Anyone in CT have one I can catch a ride in???

Quick Reply: Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.