Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best 28' performance boat for rough water? >

Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Notices

Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Old 01-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Allan4

Good 24 Bat Boat pic from Cumberland last year.

I love the 28 Pantera, that to me is one of the best looking and well built boat out there, and one that I would own in a hearbeat. It would be a great P5 or P4 boat I think as well. Having said that, I am pretty confident in the info these guys are sharing about the 28 batboat out running other 28's. I am not claiming to be an expert or anything like that, but they are unreal rough water boats....fast too.
Attached Thumbnails Best 28' performance boat for rough water?-larry-bat-boat.jpg  

Old 01-10-2004, 11:06 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Warpaint I hear ya! I'll bet ol' Ike also hears ya. No doubt he's thinkin he had better get a ride our he will also be livin' in the past....actually riding in the past as your co-pilot! Get the motor man to crank up the dyno with the new monsters so they do real nice for Mr. Ex-Warparty! I think it would only be right if he rode with you this year in Tony's Poker Run!
Old 01-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bob
Warpaint I hear ya! I'll bet ol' Ike also hears ya. No doubt he's thinkin he had better get a ride our he will also be livin' in the past....actually riding in the past as your co-pilot! Get the motor man to crank up the dyno with the new monsters so they do real nice for Mr. Ex-Warparty! I think it would only be right if he rode with you this year in Tony's Poker Run!
I would be honored to let Ike throttle the 28 one last time.Paybacks are a bit$h.You and i should both be worried I bet he busts out into summer 004 with another sick A----
Old 01-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by yellowbird
Does ownership of the 28 Apache get you into the club?
Or do you have to have a 36' or better.
This is not boy scouts.It is a tribe
Attached Thumbnails Best 28' performance boat for rough water?-attachment.jpg  
Old 01-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK - Not every landing is perfect. But at least it was still pretty flat when it hit.....

Yellowbird - Looks to me like you're zeroing in on a pretty good choice for what you specified. Lots of good suggestions in this thread. What about Warlock's? They did real well in the first few years of Factory 1.....
Attached Thumbnails Best 28' performance boat for rough water?-dsc_9888.jpg  
Old 01-11-2004, 12:37 PM
BuzzinBye!

Wow!!!!!! What have I been missing?!?!?!
I guess it is time to clear the air here.

The 28 Saber is an awesome offshore rig! I put 400 hard hours on this boat without even a sign of a stress crack anywhere. It always handled great and never did anything stupid. I would put it up against any vee bottom in the 28 to 32 range.

Powerguy, I have a friend that runs a 29 fountain with twin 525's (non-step). He will tell you that our boats run excactly the same speed in smooth water, and I will walk him as soon as the water kicks up. We have both ridden in each others boats when it was choppy and we both agree that the Saber feels much more secure.

The Pantera is also an awesome offshore rig. The only thing I liked more about the saber is that it has more freeboard, but maintains a flat deck for a very cool look. The freeboard issue also applies to the 28 cigarette.

Powerguy, you cannot go wrong with the saber and the support from the factory is excellent. It is true that the are not as well known as some of the others, but those that know the quality of a saber will pay the money. I had mine for sale for awhile, but was asking a pretty lofty price because I wasn't pressed to sell the boat. I used it the whole time it was for sale and loved every minute of it.

The only reason we sold it is because Miss Buzzin Bye had enough of 80 mph poker runs in a 28. So now we have a 38 Top Gun and go slow, But we frequent WickedWon's Saber for real gofast poker runs. I hope this info is useful good luck on your search. Contact me with any questions about the saber, I know the 28's inside and out.

Glassdave and Chris, It is true that dave did go around us on the second leg of the Leopa poker run and he is right that I was taking it easy on the passengers. The difference was not the speed or handling of rough water it is the fact that we were in very rough water with an open cockpit and 2 bolsters and a bench seat (not very safe). Dave was in an enclosed canopy boat strapped into the seats with a 5 point harness (very safe). I rode in that bat boat the very same day on one of the breaks between legs. It was very impressive, but also is purpose-built boat. And by the way, you still get wet when that pointy nose dives into the bottom of a wave and water rushes through the bow air inlets.

Lotoparty, Saber specs.

LOA 28'1"
beam 7'10"
weight 6200# with twin 500's

And as for you Todd35, your being stupid! At least get your facts straight before you make some false claims about somebody else's boat I traded that boat in and did a lot better than your stated number!!
Ohh and by the way Craig@Martin had a customer waiting for my boat when it arrived at his shop to be traded in. The guy test drove it and bought it that very day! And I am sure he paid more for it than what I traded in for! That guy was out boating on the intercoastal with my saber before my Cig even made it back home to me!!

Dan (formerly Buzzin Bye)

Last edited by BuzzinBye!; 01-11-2004 at 01:13 PM.

Old 01-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

great pic c-spray dont try this in your open boat guys we stuffed a few times in keywest this year. was a blast . just keep right on go'n. if ya aint go'n over it . . yer go'n through it . think i even saw a fish one time
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

hey Dan . . .we we're just look'n for somebody to hassle on here and you werent avaliable to defend yourself

you should know to chek in more often
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-11-2004, 12:52 PM
BuzzinBye!

I guess so!!!! That'll teach me!

Photo of the Saber heading to Florida and a new home
Attached Thumbnails Best 28' performance boat for rough water?-105-0516_img.jpg  

Old 01-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saber 28

Hey guys,

My name is Lance Sonneveldt. I have always read the forums with interest but have never participated. Most of you know more about the boats and the state of powerboating than I. I only add the following because I have had some experience with the Saber 28.

I was part owner and driver of A-17 Wave Hippie. We ran production class in the APBA from 1990 - 1993. I drove, Matt Kihnke was throttle and Doug Popma was navigator. We ran a Saber 28 back then. We were based out of Grand Haven, MI. The Saber boys had produced 2 outboard race boats before ours but I think the Wave Hippie was the first inboard race boat. We ran a pair of production small blocks with Bravo drives (one of the first race boats to be rigged with Bravos). 1990 was our first year and we only ran 3 races. We went through quite a few drives the first year until the shims in the upper cases got straightened out. We ran 11 races in 91' including the Central Division and all National events that year. We won 7 of 11 races taking home the National high points championship for all of APBA including all classes that year. And for those that might assume there was no competition in that class, the boat that took second in the National High Points Championship for APBA was "Ken's Oil", a 28 Magnum with production small blocks and Alphas with speedmaster lowers. He ran the same class as us (Production A) in the same division (Central) and also ran all the national events. Kenny was a fierce competitor and had an amazingly fast boat.

We also took the Central Division championship and Great Lakes Trophy Series Championship that year. We were inducted into the Hall of Champions at the end of the year.

We took 1992 off and came back in 1993 only to run the Great Lakes Trophy series which we won.

I tell you this only to let you know that we, as a team, ran the Saber harder than anyone I have known. I sometimes wonder how we stayed alive. We stuffed it, ripped the drives of the back of it, had the rubrail under water, been thrown out of it during races and watched two inch ripples run up the deck from slamming it so hard. I also remember having Doug get out of the boat on one occasion with blood pouring out of is mouth. With the hundreds of hours of testing and racing abuse the boat held strong. We cracked the main bulkhead in 1990 at Port Huron which had 5 - 7 footers. The factory immediately fixed it at no cost and never broke anything else.

The Saber 28 is a fine offshore powerboat. It runs well with twins. Of course we didn't run an interior but for numbers sake the boat ran 82MPH on radar with twin 350 c.i. small blocks making 400 HP each. That was in race trim with the right water and light fuel. It would run 77 with any set up. We didn't run standoff boxes (they weren't built yet for the bravo) but the X was real high, the boat barely came on plane. The boat was fastest with Intimidator 4 blades with solid hubs, I'm sorry I don't recall the pitch. 1.5 to 1 gear ratio at 6000 RPM. Rough water props were Merc Bravo's with lab finish and extra cup. There was 2 MPH difference between the intimidators and the Merc Bravos props.

The last race we ran with the boat was Detroit in 1993. We had a fresh rebuild on both engines and both motors started loosing oil pressure on the second lap. We retired the old girl on the third lap with two hurt motors. We sold the boat, as it was, for 28 G's. Not a bad resale value for an old, beat up race boat. The boat sold to the owner of a marina in Grand Haven. He used the boat over the next few years to give rides to people for customer relations and such. After that it sold to a young local guy who ran it for two seasons I believe. From there I don't know what happened to it. I do know that everyone who ever owned the Wave Hippie considered it an outstanding offshore powerboat.

I hope this helps the individual who was considering a Saber. I realize resale is an issue when purchasing a toy with disposable income but in most cases it seems better to purchase something you know will bring a smile to your face when you turn the key than to compromise for better resale. For me, I remember having a huge grin every time I lit the ignition on our Saber.

Quick Reply: Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.