What new occupation would you consider?

Notices

What new occupation would you consider?

Old 01-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by later
as a kid i always loved Corvettes and and turned that love for Corvettes into a business and proffession. I was working on all the old ones and loving it and slowly it became a job and as most jobs they become tiring and eventually i learned to hate Corvettes. 13yrs ago i sold my business and shortly after that sold a collection of corvettes that most would die for, and bought a offshore boat. Bottom line is work is exactly that work! Ive often thought about going into a marina and or boat repair facility but im afraid that i would then learn to hate boats and at this time in my life it is one of the few things in life i really enjoy.

later
Wanna buy my Corvette?

We're near Corvette Central here and "involved" with the business in many levels myself and others in the family. They still love Vettes although it's a lot of work for them. I hear ya though, started a business that was a hobby and now it's a job and not as fun as it once was. Once you get away from the fun and start hiring people and dealing with that stuff, the fun gets pulled out of it. It's tough to stay excited sometimes. Other times, it's easy, though. We just "lost" two employees this week, as a matter of fact. Happy happy, joy joy.

You gotta admit, it probably would take longer to get sick of Corvettes than say, cofins or lag bolts or something.

I'd rather just hit the lotto also. I'd then own a marina or two just so I'd have a "free" slip.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

East Coast:

Try going on "The Apprentice" LOL!
Old 01-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone!!! Guess I have to weigh the good over the bad and just swallow what little pride I had left and make the best of it. It's a big company and I can't beat the system!!!

I'm going to go out and start buying lotto tickets!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Registered

I got sick of the electrical business and we bought a boatyard here. The learning curve has been steep and the last year has been VERY interesting. The new people and the challenges make this job the best decision that I could have made. I still go through days where I would trade the business for a cold six pack of Heiniken though.
Good luck, sometimes it's worth taking a chance.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 01-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am at that point right now in my life as well. I work for a major wireless carrier, and after 2 years of trying to get into another position in the company I have pretty much be told I am not going anywhere. Or in "HR speak", my position has a glass ceiling in it.

I find it extremly sad that when companys are always saying they want and need employee loyalty. I believe I am one of those people, I like the company but feel that if I am to grow as a person, and a worker, I need to move to another company. It is really sad when you think of it.. It will cost the company more money to find, hire and train my replacement AS WELL as find someone to fill the positions I have been trying to get.. than if they just moved me up, trained me for the 4-8 weeks to do it, and find my replacement..

This is the main reason why I started building houses, or at least one and hopefully more. Heck even if I make what i make right now, I will leave just for the change of pace. After 5 years of doing the EXACT same thing.. its just old...
Old 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have 37 years at my job in March and it gets to suck more each year ( a major long distance carrier). But give up the 6 weeks vacation , the money , the other bennies would be hard to do , to go work for Home Depot for $10 an hour
Old 01-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

East Coast B ever in Philly ? Meet up 4 drinks. I wish I had even know about CG . My younger brother went in and got right out what a dope. When I seen him on base I was like whoa I wanna join. I have 10 years in Postal life now. Probably staying but I often dream about (what if's) Was suppose to follow family tree and become a Policeman but I walked away from the offer. most of my friends are cops now. one was even shot , saved by a vest here in Philly.
I guess we could all spend a life time wondering what if?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Registered

Boat yard in Bermuda.... it's 5 degrees out right now... Bermuda sounds gooooooooooooood!!!

Cap.... what if.... I had plate on my last car... "One Day" always wondering.... but as someone else said... it's hard to walk away from a good job.... I will say that it's got me thinking about doing a little saving and really thinking about alternatives....

Damm I hate this cold... boat yard in Bermuda.... ahhhhhhhhh..... if I ever get there, I'm looking up Bermudaboy!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a Postmaster I have it I would say easy. so I'm not wanting to move on just yet.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Registered

"Hitman"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.