Fees and new no wake proposals LOTO

Old 01-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fees and new no wake proposals LOTO

Go-slow legislation

Camdeton rep's bill would open door to no-wake for large boats in small coves

By Joyce L. Miller/Lake Sun

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - State Representative Wayne Cooper, R-Camdenton, says a two-part bill he is introducing next week is the first step in protecting the rights of property owners in small coves and preserving the recreational quality of the lake.

Cooper says the proposed bill would do two things: increase funding for the Missouri Water Patrol by raising boater registration fees and ease the requirements for property owners in small coves to apply for no-wake buoys.

Cooper said he expects the no-wake portion of the bill to receive as much attention as the boater registration fee proposal. The no-wake portion of the bill would limit boats 26 feet and larger to idle speed in small coves where 75 percent of the property owners agree to the restriction.

The proposed bill requires property owners to petition the Water Patrol as part of the process of obtaining a buoy permit. Under the proposal the decision on issuing permits would still rest with the Water Patrol.

Under current Water Patrol guidelines, buoy permits are issued for areas where there is a safety concern. The Water Patrol does not issue permits based on property damage from boat traffic.

There are more than 2,000 mapped coves on the lake and nearly 3,000 permitted buoys, according to information provided by the Water Patrol. It is unknown how many of those coves would qualify.

"This is definitely a hot topic, especially for those who want to enjoy personal watercraft and skiing on the lake," Cooper said. "There needs to be some areas protected against the excessive wakes not only for recreational reasons but to protect the lake. I am not opposed to large boats but if you look at the loss of life and the number of boats that capsized last summer on the lake, we need to take some steps."

Cooper said he does not want large boats to overrun the lake and send smaller boat owners to other lakes. Cooper said the proposed bill addresses both issues

Cooper says that as the number of large boats on the lake increases, so do the complaints about property damage from the wakes they leave behind.

Cooper said it is also becoming more difficult for the owners of smaller boats to find areas off the main channel to enjoy water-related activities.

"The bill allows property owners who own property located in coves with a mouth width of 400 feet or less to have the option to have the cove designated by the Water Patrol an idle no-wake cove," Cooper said.

"The idle no-wake restriction would only apply to to boats 26 feet or longer and would be in place only on Fridays. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from Memorial Day to Labor Day," Cooper said.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not opposed to thsi per se, however the boats that have been swamped have been on the major parts of the lake.

This may have a negative effect as more small boats pack the coves to run at speed possibly causing more damage.

Not sure how to take it yet. I don' support it on Sundays on non-holiday weekends as everyone pretty much heads out of here sunday AM anyway.

Also I think it should maybe include a beam limitation instead of lenght, IE boats with a 8'4" beam are OK.

Lots of ways to address this and the more I think about it, the less I like what is proposed.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, my boat is only 24', Anyone wanna race me in the coves??

LOL!!!

There are a few coves I've been in that I can't believe are NOT no-wake.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Steve_H

when you think about it , how many coves 400 ft. wide and smaller do you really run in anyway?
cant say i blame the home owners having to spend money on dock repairs every year.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally posted by Waterfoul
Ha, my boat is only 24', Anyone wanna race me in the coves??

LOL!!!

There are a few coves I've been in that I can't believe are NOT no-wake.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

According to that bill it would be WFO for the jetski's in the cove. Seems as if a jetski hammerin' it for 15minutes could do the same damage as a cruiser pulling off plane. At least it's not adding anything that proably doesn't exist already.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Soon it will be every water way in the U.S.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Registered

No way in hell you get get 100 jet ski's to make a wake the size of a decent size cruiser coming off plane.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I agree Lotoparty.... some coves, MANY coves are just too small to run in anyway.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:22 AM
FWK

Boater stupidity cause some of the swampings. Last 4th of July going through the no wake zone going to party cove, the water patrol was sstopping boats for exhaust violations. A 17 foot tracker aluminum boat with 6 peopl on board that wieghed over 300# each and 2 kids went right by them. and were not stopped. they had less than 6 inches of freeboard. I don't know how they did not go under. Plus their freind had a sea doo boat and he was the only on it. You would think they would have been smart enough to transfer some of the load.

Quick Reply: Fees and new no wake proposals LOTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.