Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New to power boats, help me out please! >

New to power boats, help me out please!

Notices

New to power boats, help me out please!

Old 01-11-2004, 03:48 PM
JEEPDUDE

Default New to power boats, help me out please!

Alright guys and girls I'm 22 years old and really getting into powerboats. I've driven a 19' four winns since I was 15 and I just previously sold my SeaDoo XP LTD. wave runner. I love the water and I love speed my Xp could do 72 mph on glassy conditions. Now I know thats not too fast at least for offshore speeds but it was fast for me being only 2 feet off the water. Anyway I'm not rich and won't be at least for a couple more years, haha, but was wondering what kind of advice I could get from you guys. I definetely cannot afford a new boat, so where should I start? And what can I expect? I had a friend who told me his checkmate cost him about $100 dollars an hour to operate, and what about insurance costs, etc.? I know thats a lot but for a sport I love I just want to get some more info.

Thanks to all that reply

Matt

Old 01-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

welcome to the board matt. if you are looking to get into a nice starter boat i would suggest somthing in the 24 to 26 foot range. maybe an older excaliber or 240 baha. never really figured out the $ per hour amount but i have a 26 foot scorpion with twin small blocks. insurance is about $700.00 a year and it ate about $3500/$4000 of gas this summer (was on it just about every weekend). i started in a 17 foot wood lyman when i was a kid and moved up to a 24 mirage than the scorpion on my way to a 30 somthing with twin big blocks in another year or so. actually really like the layout on the scorp though . have fun

start slow and give yourself time to get used to it. running a boat at 70 is much different than a jet ski at 70.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-11-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome Matt, I agree with glassdave, get something in the 24 foot range and get some experience, try looking at P & Ds as well, they are older but have good hulls and probably can be had cheap, or Baja or Excalibur...

good luck and safe boating
Old 01-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, nice to see more young blood here

As far as cost per hour I dont know of anyone who ever looked at it that way

I can tell you as far as insurance I am also 22 and the insurance on my 28 Cig w/twins runs me about $800 per year. and my boat doesnt go any faster than 50 mph. WINK WINK I hope you have a clean driving record, if not have fun trying to find boat insurance at our age there is a lot more to consider than just insurance and fuel cost PM me or email me [email protected] and I would be glad to discuss this further. Also JUST ONCE from the board was at one time trying to sell his 24 Excaliber with fresh hyped 454 and a fresh bad a$$ paintjob. not sure if it is still for sale but would be a killer starter boat I think he wanted somewhere in the 16k range for it.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

hey Thrill who do you have your ins. through?

heres a link to Martin's (JUST ONCE) boat. i know he has spent quits a bit of time and $$$ on it . i was looking hard at 24 excals before my scorp came along. they are very competent rough water boats for there size. this one is very cool. 24 xcal
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Registered

Welcome to our world. There are some rules.

1) Never ever try to figure the cost per hour. It will
only make you suicidal

2) BOAT: Bring Over Another Thousand (usually
associated with repair bills

3) Explain cost issues as little as possible to any wife/
girlfriend as most do not understand

4) The faster you go the more it costs especially after
70 mph

5) "Blowbotes" suck

6) Manatee Zones suck

7) Noise oridinaces suck

8) Too Old swears he's had a boat in the water
before, however some of us don't believe it.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Registered

Jeepdude, Run! Run while you still can. You are about to embark on a very addictive sport. I am sure you are already aware of that though. Best bit of advice, sure around here for a while and read as much as possible. There is alot of information here. I only wish I knew of this place before I bought my first boat. Possibly even before I bought the second and current one. Not that I dislike my baja, just think that for the price, could have maybe got something a little faster and possibly bigger. Good luck and when you have any questions, ask away.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about the 20ft Baja Outlaw. My buddy has one, it cost about 27k brand new with trailer and runs 65mph. It is also a good ski boat.
Attached Thumbnails New to power boats, help me out please!-37-outerlimits-010.jpg  
Old 01-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!

Before you buy any boat, Make sure you get an insurance quote.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Fightclub

Jeepdude,

Welcome I am also newer to the sport. Addictive is an understatement.... I love this sport, if you can call spending lots of $ a sport.

I see you are from milford mi, do you plan on using the local lakes or going to St Clair most of the time? I would suggest nothing more than 24' you can still use the smaller lakes and get more hours on the water..

Here's a little advice I did not heed!

1st boat " one engine"
Get a Survey
Ask for advice on OSO
Buy if at all possible from an OSO member

Welcome

fightclub A2 MI

Got a problem? Through some money at it!

Quick Reply: New to power boats, help me out please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.