Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/68950-ride-22-velocity-yipes.html)

C_Spray 01-14-2004 07:12 PM

Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!

Took a spin behind the wheel of a 22' Velocity with a 383 smallblock ("420 or so" hp) yesterday. What a handful! The telltale on the GPS read 78.4, but the fastest we ran was 72+. Man! Over 65 or so, that thing took more steering input than I could have ever imagined. It ran crabbed slightly sideways, and was prone to chine-walk, although it was not too hard to steer out of that. I'm just glad I didn't have to run the throttle, too. My arms were sore after just 30 minutes. The owner described the hull as a "flat vee with a water ski stuck on the bottom". I can understand why these hulls are fast, but they must use the driver up pretty quick if you try to do it for very long. I must be a pu$$y, 'cause I think I prefer something a little more stable. Is this pretty typical of these hulls, or was there a setup problem with this one?

Still - it was a BLAST!

mopower 01-14-2004 07:15 PM

Ok Smart a$$ , it's January 14 , where the hell are you?? Certainly not in Temple Pa.:D :D

C_Spray 01-14-2004 07:18 PM

Somewhere south of Georgia and west of the Bahamas.

bajabob38 01-14-2004 07:25 PM

Re: Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by C_Spray
[B]. I must be a pu$$y, 'cause I think I prefer something a little more stable. Is this pretty typical of these hulls, or was there a setup problem with this one?

Sure sound like it to me :p

jpclear 01-14-2004 07:38 PM

Scuse me guys, but just what is a "telltale on the GPS"?? My GPS will give me a "max speed" since last reset, and I always assumed that whatever was recorded there was the the fastest I ran till I reset again. Just where did I get lost here??!!?? --- Jer

RLW 01-14-2004 07:43 PM

Somewhere north of Georgia.:p

C_Spray 01-14-2004 07:44 PM

Bob - See Post #215 on page 8 of the "Best 28-foot" thread for yours...

jpclear - Correct. The 78.4 reading was from a previous outing (apparently with a better driver...). The highest we saw as 72+. (Not that I had much time to look.) Wild.

Ed 01-14-2004 08:37 PM

Definately The Way That Boat Is Rigged...

Was your problem. Your steering related problems sounded like X-dimension, trim, prop, gimbal, torque-tab, related problems...? When a 22' is dialed in, they are smooth! Been there, done that. Ed:rolleyes:

SS930 01-14-2004 08:43 PM

I'd have to agree with Ed, sounds like something was out of wack.:drool:

mopower 01-14-2004 08:44 PM

Originally posted by C_Spray
The 78.4 reading was from a previous outing (apparently with a better driver...). The highest we saw as 72+. (Not that I had much time to look.) Wild.
Sure that 78.4 wasn't on the trailer:rolleyes:. That's 6.4 mph , a lot even for a good or bad driver:confused:

God , I wish I were someplace warm:(. I'd even ride in a Bayliner:D :D...... with a Force outboard:crazy:

Well , maybe two Force outboards;)