Notices

Get Out Now!!!!!

Old 01-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to turn this into a pi$$ing match, any home will take a beating in a direct hit. Yes Andrew hit hard, but if you go back and look what really got torn up, Homestead, mostly tree farms, and trailer parks. I did not live here then, so I am sure it was more devastating to those involved, but I can tell you, I live about 10 miles West of the coast, and this little POS Wood Framed, Aluminum sided house, (yes, there are a few wood framed houses in FL, and Yes, it did have Termite damage when I bought it) built in 1982 survived(along with 200 more just like it), and still has the original 22 year old roof on it!!!! It gets a little scary when the storms roll in during the season, but I will take it over the SNOW and sub zero temps any day!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Get Out Now!!!!!-03030006.jpg  
Old 01-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah!!! I've seen freeze/thaw cycles tear up more concrete than I've seen termites ruin houses..... termites you can kill..... winter freeze can't be avoided...
Old 01-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLEASE do not encourage others to move to Florida. We have enough northerners now telling us how they do it up north. Like we give a fizzuck!

For those who think that there is no money in Florida, you may want to look again. Unless you are a union construction worker, there is good money to be made. Union jobs up north seem to pay MUCH higher for some reason.

As far as leisure activities, to each his own. I would rather boat, fish, and play golf 12 months out of the year and go on vacation to go skiing.

For those concerned about the ethnic make-up of the state. My advice is not to move to Miami or Texas or California or Washington DC or Maryland or Alabama or about 3 dozen other states. Florida is a big state and it is mostly white.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Mike
Old 01-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

I was just watching the weather channel, they were showing them plowing the gray slush crap off the roads. It looked lovely!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, real lovely.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Troutly
With blue hair.....
At least they HAVE hair!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Registered

This thread is starting to sound like the Civil War, glad to hear there are a lot of happy northerners
Old 01-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See what YOU'RE missing
Attached Thumbnails Get Out Now!!!!!-sunset-ice.jpg  
Old 01-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally posted by BigMike
PLEASE do not encourage others to move to Florida. We have enough northerners now telling us how they do it up north. Like we give a fizzuck!

For those who think that there is no money in Florida, you may want to look again. Unless you are a union construction worker, there is good money to be made. Union jobs up north seem to pay MUCH higher for some reason.

As far as leisure activities, to each his own. I would rather boat, fish, and play golf 12 months out of the year and go on vacation to go skiing.

For those concerned about the ethnic make-up of the state. My advice is not to move to Miami or Texas or California or Washington DC or Maryland or Alabama or about 3 dozen other states. Florida is a big state and it is mostly white.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Mike
I'll agree with that, stay where your at then!!!!

as far as the ethnic make up, I spoke more spanish in Fairfield County CT, than I have ever had to in South Florida. I can deal with having to speak a little spanish in exchange for seeing all of the little chiquitas on the beach!!!!

As far as the termites, wood frame is not the standard in FL, Concrete block is, in fact I dont believe you can even build with wood on the first floor down here anymore(permits). My house is outside the city limits, and in an area that 20 years ago was totally uninhabited, therefore no need for building permits.

There is money to be made in the South, if you know where to look.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Registered

Here is another reason

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=69010

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.