Notices

Dually or SRW?

Old 01-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally posted by 43Thunder
Well you obviously have seen what I drive and pull the boat with. Unless I plan to start doing some more long distance hauling I'm staying with the SRW. Plus I drive it to work every day.
What ever happened with your truck ???

Truck with the old boat. The new boat is even bigger.
Hey Bill and Patty,

The insurance company totalled the truck. I am taking the salvage and selling to Gary Gray's auto body. I'm debating whether to buy a used truck for equal money or buy new and have to put up some $$. I think I am going to get a 3/4 ton crew cab.

Dave M.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2003 shortbed crewcab DRW F-350, 6.0. I used to have a 1999 longbed supercab F-350 SRW, 7.3.

My 30' Sonic used to swing the SRW pretty bad sometimes. Just trying to make an adjustment in my lane while towing down the highway, the truck would sway back and forth in the lane pretty bad. Also you would definately know the boat was behind you.

With the DRW no swaying at all. The boat no longer contols the truck! Stopping is still tough though, without trailer brakes.

I use it as a daily driver and love it! The ride is just like my old SRW. Sometimes parking is tough, but I'm not one who has to park as close as possible anyway.

I get 14 mpg with 4:10 rears.

Insurance is $1400.00 yr in NJ!!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dually is safer while towing. I may go back to a Suburban if and when they offer the Allison transmission.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Registered

Finman.

Used to work on the Ford P131 program (SuperDuties).
F250/F350 SRW have same towing capacity.
The F350 SRW sits about 2 inches taller, and can take
1/4 ton more weight in the bed (different springs).

Oh, and the F350 has a ride like a skate board when it is empty (just uncle Ernie's $0.2).

Old 01-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Registered

thanks for the info

Finman
Old 01-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Mr. Demeanor

You greatly reduce side to side sway with a dualls. Push on the side near the tailgae of a SRW truck and you can get the back to wiggle side to side. DRW will not do that as much. Shouldnt be a problem if your loaded propertly. I have towed an 11,500 pound trailer with my F250 SRW. Cranking down on the load distribuing hitch and raising the tire pressure was necessary to keep it from swaying as it had too little tongue weight.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor
You greatly reduce side to side sway with a dualls. Push on the side near the tailgae of a SRW truck and you can get the back to wiggle side to side. DRW will not do that as much. Shouldnt be a problem if your loaded propertly. I have towed an 11,500 pound trailer with my F250 SRW. Cranking down on the load distribuing hitch and raising the tire pressure was necessary to keep it from swaying as it had too little tongue weight.
Tongue weight and tire pressure play a HUGE role in towing!!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a F-250 that I used to tow with upgraded to a F-350 DRW both 4x4 the dually is alot more stable, feel more in control unlike a few times in the 250 felt like it had control over you. Plus pulling that much weight if you have a blow out I would rather have the extra tires to keep in control a little better, but I have to agree for a every day driver I like the 250 better.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Registered

I have towed with both and what you want really depends on what you are planning to do. If you are going to use the truck as a daily driver and only tow the boat occasionally, get the SRW. If you are going to tow the boat extensively, poker runs, vacations, etc, that will cause a fair amount of Interstate use, I would go with the DRW. The lateral stability advantage when being passed by semi's is very noticeable. So is driving in strong cross winds.

The wife will also notice the difference.....if that could be a factor
Old 01-18-2004, 12:59 AM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

I have towed my boat (32 Sunsation) with both. I have a older dually, extended cab. It tows well! I have also towed with a 2500 Suburban. It also towed well! The difference was, the Burb got a lot better gas milage. It has the 7.4 Vortec w/od transmission. I will probably upgrade to a Suburban, next.

Quick Reply: Dually or SRW?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.