Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where did all the Chris Cats go? >

Where did all the Chris Cats go?

Notices

Where did all the Chris Cats go?

Old 01-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense, thus the confusion. The one at Arnold's in Pt Pleasant, is the Jag.....That's the one i usually see, as it is across the street from my uncles boatyard.

Heck, there's even a roller coaster nearby called rolling thunder....

Last edited by McGary911; 01-23-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the Chris Cats here at my shop undergoing a complete rebuild. The boat was supposedly built and raced as an outboard boat and was then converted to a sterndrive after retirement. Don't know what it was raced as but it was black boat. It is currently getting rigged with #5's on 12 inch boxes with twin turbo open class engines and crashboxes. Motors are making almost 1400 hp each when you put the boost to them. It should make an interesting poker run boat.
Steven Schmidt
Competitive Edge Marine Motorsports.
954-564-0015
Old 01-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Wirly, I worked on Humes boat back in the late 80's I did alot of glass on that boat, Bob Kaiser took Humes and Myself for a few good test runs.......... Ahh' Them were the days !!!!!! Great Lakes Racing used to be known by a bunch of associations that Co-Mingled and shared points. We don't see that anymore Dammit!!!! The boat was a Motion Cat that took forever to 'cure' but I think that helped it in the longrun as it went on to Win a few D class races badged as 'Peppers of St.Clair' piloted by Danny, and two brothers whose names escape me great team, alot of fun! It was then sponsored by EXIDE, my good friend Bob Stack was Driver for 2 years.... They always put on a show...... I'm not sure what became of my old friends or the boat? Maybe give Sparky at Vicious Marine on Hall rd in Harrison Twp, Mi. a shout Viciousone on the board, he might know more as he bought the Motion Cat molds, modified them and builds a very light fast Cat...... They used to call the boats Clem's Gems after the owner's first name We built alot of Cats in this area......... See Ya, Bill
Old 01-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Registered

Jolley,

Thanx for the reply. Those were the days. I raced a Saber 28 in production "A" class. Got to know Danny well. A class act for sure. I remember 1991 in Chicago it was terrible nasty 5 - 7's. The race ran south along the shore, into the breakwall where it would get calm, then spit you out into some big ones down the back strech.

Danny was running the black cat at the time. 383 strokers built by a company in Detroit, the name escapes me, but great motors. I think that boat was set up with #4's on boxes and it was fast. If I remember somewhere in the high 115 to 120 range with small blocks and crash boxes. Not bad for 670 HP small blocks. He went out and smoked everybody, big vee bottoms and all. That was back when the cats and vees ran together. The worst part about it was they stopped about 1/4 mile from the finish line. Apparently there was some confusion to exactly where it was. Most of the courses we had back then used the same start and finish line but this one was different, the finish line was about three miles up from the start. Those poor guys were sick. They got their guts beat out for an hour and a half, beat all the other "big" boats only to fall short 1/4 mile. I believe I actually shed a tear!

Anyway, you'll have to help me out because I was certain they ran a shadow. Let me know.

If you ever want to dig up a great rough water race on video, call Jeff at freeze frame and have him send you a copy of the Chicago race in 91'. It was a joint venture with the air show as well, if I am not mistaken, there is some good air show footage as well.

Lance
Old 01-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered

T2x,

As expected, your sentiments on chris set up are identical to that of your old friend George Linder. I had an opportunity to speak with him earlier this week. He was gracious to give me some time and spoke extensively on all of the setup he had in his "file".

No boxes needed. The threes run great by them selves. The boat I am looking at is a shadow and has #4's against the transom with small blocks so that should be fine. The motors run on 18" shafts. The boat seems well balanced.

Thanx for your experience.

Lance
Old 01-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered

Talking

Steve,

Tell the guy with the 1400 HP twin turbos HE'S CRAZY! I hope he has a will. The boat will run a buck and a quarter with a pair of 800 sc's, ask Dueclaws.

In an open cockpit no less. Whew!

Lance
Old 01-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Cool !!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Registered

Whirlygig

There was a Chris Cat in the classifieds several weeks back, no motors but included #2 speedmaster drives. Its been for sale for a few years now, dont know why it has not sold. Asking price was 25k and was located in Fort Myers Fla.

One thing you should seriously check out if you buy a Chris, is that the low water pic ups were tru hull mounted. At high speeds the sealant used around the pickup, flaked away, leaving an exposed area where water could be forced up through the laminate. Long term, this could be a major problem in the transom area. This was explained to me by John Estes. He used to own the Chris that was featured in HotBoat a few years back.

Get a survey, or at the very least, get a moisture test on the hull before purchase.

If there are no problems, the pick ups can be fabricated to be mounted on the exterior of transom instead of thru hull. I think John had his made by Marine Machine. I had a survey on my Chris when I bought it. Everything was in great shape, as it was all redone by the previous owner, including the transom. I have not relocated the pic ups yet though.

Doc, thanks for the compliment!
Attached Thumbnails Where did all the Chris Cats go?-cc1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Registered

I have a 86 Chris Cat with four 2.5 Mercury offshore outboards. It was the old Terminator race boat. Top speed is around 110 mph, but it cruises at around 80 mph or so. Not bad for only 1040 total horsepower.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Registered

anyone have any cabin pics?

Quick Reply: Where did all the Chris Cats go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.