Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has anyone converted a trailer to a gooseneck 5th wheel? >

Has anyone converted a trailer to a gooseneck 5th wheel?

Notices

Has anyone converted a trailer to a gooseneck 5th wheel?

Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone converted a trailer to a gooseneck 5th wheel?

I was just wondering if anyone has converted an aluminum boat trailer from a 2 5/16 ball to a 5th wheel setup.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Registered

This is interesting....

I'd be interested in knowing how much the overall rig length would be reduced. I like the aluminum trailers, but hate the amount of length required to bring the Ibeams together to form the toungue. I have seen some ibeams use a galvanized tongue to eliminate the ibeams having to bend over a long distance. My ibeams come all the way forward to form the tounge and I bet I have 6' from the bumper of the truck to front of the boat. And that's even having moved the winch stand to the all forward position.

Without doubt the 5thwheel hookup will give you a much better turning radius.

I had spoken with Owens and Sons about 5th wheel aluminum Ibeams... They do make them. I don't remember, but it might have been an extra grand over the conventional ball hitch... don't quote me on that.

You might consider the selling of your trailer and buying new vs getting a possible expensive custom job done... unless you can do the work yourself... that's a no brainer.

One question also is if the wheel position is the same on a 5thwheel vs regular ball hitch setup.

Would storage length be the same also or longer??

Sorry I couldn't answer any of your questions, but you raise an interesting question.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Dave-
Too Old went the other way with the trailer under his 39' Sutphen. I looked at the boat/trailer when it was a fifth wheel setup.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave go see Tim he can make it happen!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 942 Likes on 473 Posts

My buddy Karl went and got a bolt on conversion for his trailer. It looked great and worked good till he was on a road trip down to FL two years ago.....he was on the entrance ramp back on the expressway and there was some weird compound angle taking the turn. Well the bolt on 5th wheel part bent a little bit and the trailer was dog tracking. no matter how much he tried to adjust it he couldnt get it right....he ended up getting so pissed off and was running behind scedual he ripped the assembly off and left it on the side of the road!!! I bet its still there in GA on one of the ramps getting onto I-75 south! The only good part about it was that he had the ability to go back to a normal towing configuration. He did love the way the 5th wheel towed and manuvered though!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

the hard part is to lay the trailer out right to make sure it doesn't pull sideways..
Old 01-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I had a trailer built new this way for my 47 fountain, It pulls great. It appears he started with a standard trailer design and then just welded the goose neck on. I 'm sure there is more to it than that but it looks like you could certainly change one over.

One other thing is with the goose neck it had to be electric brakes only. There must not be a hydraulic actuator that works in a gooseneck setup. Although if you have hydraulic now you possibley could hook it up to your trucks brake system with disconnects or something.

You should call a trailer company. I used Manning and he was great.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

A shop here can do the conversions Precision Trailer in Purcell. He has converted many over to a goos neck style. The brakes would need to be changed, or run an electric over hydraulic box thru a brake controller if you have hydo brakes.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've taken a gooseneck and made a bumper hitch. I also made it to where you can change it from bumper to gooseneck. This was on a steel Myco trailer. I had some plates made at the welding/ fabrication shop, bolted, and welded them to the trailer and the removable necks. The necks themselves are bolted together.

The gooseneck pulls nice. I also saw this done on a big cat so the onwer could make the boat and trailer fit into his garage.

Andy
Old 01-27-2004, 03:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've taken a gooseneck and made a bumper hitch. I also made it to where you can change it from bumper to gooseneck. This was on a steel Myco trailer. I had some plates made at the welding/ fabrication shop, bolted, and welded them to the trailer and the removable necks. The necks themselves are bolted together.

The gooseneck pulls nice. I also saw this done on a big cat so the onwer could make the boat and trailer fit into his garage.

Andy

Quick Reply: Has anyone converted a trailer to a gooseneck 5th wheel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.