Notices

Garmin 182C

Old 01-18-2004, 11:05 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a streetpilotIII for driving and the Garmin V for the boat takes bluecharts but is hard to read compared to the 182c
Attached Thumbnails Garmin 182C-p1180006.jpg  
Old 01-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a 182C mounted on the right side on a bracket?
Attached Thumbnails Garmin 182C-dash.jpg  
Old 01-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to keep the dash clean. I was thinking of going with a hand held 176 and resting it on the right side above the stereo remote.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the guys at my marina mounted a 182 with the internal antenna on the dash of his Black Thunder and loves it. Easy install, and worked right away, first time. Garmin's software and controls are pretty easy to use. (Important for those who don't believe in owners manuals, or even quickstart guides. Like men.) Like Ted said, any speedo or other device that will take an NMEA 0183 input can share the signal.

I went with the 2010C - the GPS equivalent of a wide-screen TV. That thing is no less than a-w-e-s-o-m-e. I made a plexiglas housing and mounted it over the cabin door on the dash of my 382. (Sorry - no pictures right now.)
Old 01-18-2004, 02:27 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GARMIN MAP-188C
get a sounder too
Old 01-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Macklin,
I don't have a pic, but I also did not want to mod the dash. I lifed my compass out, and ran the power wire to my Garmin Handheld down to my power panel. I then re-installed the compass, and left the power cable through the hole, and out the back. I took some very pliable bathroom grade white silicone and sealed the lift at the rear of the compass bezel.
WestMarine has a 3M product which is basically a sticky-back plastic velco. It is VERY sturdy, and holds the base mount for my handheld GPS on the top of my dash in my Sonic. It all looks very clean. My handheld is completely removable; including the bracket, and I have kept everything original and intact on my dash. It works very well. I think you could do the same with either lifting the edge of your dash panel, or removing a screw, and inserting your power wire though that hole, and silicone it back sealed.
When/if I want to go back to original, I just need to remove that little bit of silicone, and pull out my hard-wire powercord. The sticky-back velco will come off with a little WD-40.
You definately want to have a DC cord powered GPS, because if you rely on your battery handheld, I guarantee the time it dies on you, is dead of night, with no fricking moon.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-18-2004 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Registered

Default internal antenna

I have a 182C in my 38 Top Gun with the antenna mounted in the forward compartment(the other side of the "cigarette" mirror). No problems. Works great.

Going to install an antenna in the cat as well and use the same GPS.

The 182C is the best I have seen. I have two Garmin GPS's in my plane. Hard to believe we used to fly without them.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally posted by craig223
Thanks for the 411 What is a Ram mount? They say that there is no flush/recessed mount kit available so I was planning on fabricating one. Do you have any pics of your setup?
No pics and the boat is shrink wrapped for the winter. a ram mount is basicly a mount with a ball joint where it attaches to the dash and another where it attaches to the GPS mount. This makes it very adjustable. I had an extra mount in my old Suburban and would load the street and road data in it and use it also on long car trips. Do a Google search and you should find their web site.

Last edited by Padraig; 01-19-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 182C with an external antenna. use a RAM mounting arm that swivels. Works great. The internal antenna gave fine reception but did not work with the swivel mount.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Registered

Default New 196

Garmin has just released the new 196 (portable). Is not color as the 182C but has Land, Sea and Air capabilities(snowmobile as well).

6 AA's or cigarette lighter cpability.

Quick Reply: Garmin 182C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.