Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Single Outboard Boats "SOBs" Approved by OPA!!! >

Single Outboard Boats "SOBs" Approved by OPA!!!

Notices

Single Outboard Boats "SOBs" Approved by OPA!!!

Old 01-11-2004, 02:29 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Single Outboard Boats "SOBs" Approved by OPA!!!

DPT Motorsports and myself met with OPA officials yesterday to hear what they were willing to do for the SOBs.

It's official!!!

They are willing to let the SOBs race within their organization.

Here is what they have come up with:

As far as the rules for SOB, they were in agreement with the SOB Rules Proposal were had offered them.
There were only 4 things that needed to be changed from those rules.
1. Minimum length will be 21 feet with a Max of 24 feet. They will use the round up method if a boat measures 20 foot 6.5 inches, it will be rounded to 21 feet.
2. Mandatory: 2 Crew Onboard. It will be mandatory for 2 people to be in the boat while racing. There will not be an option for only one person.
This was OPA's as well as the insurance carrier's decision. I personally asked two of the medic's opinions, and they too also wanted to see two people in the boat.

3. No Capped Speed or Bracket Racing for this class(3 races only) It has been decided to allow this for the calm water race sites only.
3 of the sites that are ocean races will fall under the P-5 max average speed of 65 mph. Again, the Insurance Liability as well as Safety was a big decision maker here. We all know no one would even come close to 65mph in rough ocean conditions, but this is just making sure of no one trying to. The 3 races with this cap will be enforced with GPS supplied by OPA.

4. Race distance 40 miles The total distance will be 40 miles not 60 or a 1 hour time limit. Also subject to change at the discretion of OPA at each race site depending on sea conditions.

So in a a nut shell, here is what you have.

SOB's are welcome to come race in all 6 races.

The rough water races, the SOB's will not have their own race. They are invited to race under P-5 and have the option to be scored separately as well as be scored in P-5 to race for the purse of that event. ( The reasoning behind this is, if the course is rough and they try to run two races, they are afraid of losing too many volunteers by the time the second race comes out. To sit out in the ocean for an entire day while it's rough can be a burden to most volunteers. If over time they have more volunteers for the water operations where they may have separate shifts for the volunteers, that may change in the future. As of right now, they will only offer the one race at the rough water races.)

The other 3 events which are calm water races, the SOBs will have their own individual class. Although no prize money will be awarded unless the site itself offers a separate purse for the class. Example: Cambridge, MD offers their Local Class a separate purse.

OPA will be picking up the additional costs to run the SOBs in their own class. (Helicopter and Insurance Premiums) The means of paying for it will come from the $500 per race entry fee. It will not interfere with the existing P-1 thru P-5 class's purse or add any additional costs onto the other classes.

If for any reason that the SOB's race were to be cancelled by OPA or the Coast Guard deeming the course to be too rough for 21 footers, the registration money for that race will be forwarded to the next race's registration. You will not loose your registration money if the race is blown out.

OPA's Equipment Requirements Please contact OPA for their rule book. Offshore Performance Association's Link

Additional Prizes Other than actual cash prizes, contingency prizes may be awarded on a per class basis. It will not have to be shared with any of the other classes.
If for example Mercury or a SOB manufacture wanted to step in and offer 1st place of SOB X amount of dollars in "Parts or Merchandise" they can do that. It is advised that they contact OPA for this type of an incentive because they are already setting up different types of contigency prizes for each class. Last year, one person ended up with $1500 in parts from JESEL. Not bad for only running someone's decal on their boat.

Also a Hi-Points Trophy for total points accumulated over the season will be awarded at the end of the season.

Stay Informed!!! Get on the mailing list by using this link:NJ Offshore & OPA Informational Mailing List

I hope this will satisfy most of you, and you will come out and race.
If the response and participation is great this year, you have a great opportunity to grow and make some changes along the way.

Good Luck to all of you!

It is now up to you to make the next move. Start by getting registered for the season.

Annual Equipment fee $450.00

Annual Membership fee $100.00

Annual GPS fee $ To be determined (No more than $150) We asked for a reduced rate being as the SOB's would only need it for 3 races when they race in P-5

Entry fee per race $500.00 Includes Insurance, Helicopters, Race Parties but not a purse unless you race in P5.
Attached Thumbnails Single Outboard Boats "SOBs" Approved by OPA!!!-opalong.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 01-11-2004, 02:29 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Rules For The SOB Class

Hulls:

Any conventional vee bottom stepped or padded allowed

Minimum length: 21 feet inches

Maximum length: 24 ft 0 inches

“Vee-Hull Designs Only” No Wing Styled Boats, Tunnel-Vees or Catamarans

No Minimum Weight

Hydraulic Jacks Plates allowed

Set-back brackets allowed

Crew onboard: Mandatory 2 people.

No letters, Number only to minimum height set by Sanctioning Body’s Rules Leave room in front of Number if you choose to run in P5 at anytime.

Remote water pickups allowed

No Capped Speed or Bracket racing for this class except at the 3 rough water race sites.

Engines:

Any Single Outboard Engine by any Manufacturer

Any octane pump gasoline only (No alcohol, nitros, etc.)

Races:

Courses to be determined by sanctioning body

Depending on the number of entries, it is 1st choice to run this class by itself.

Distance same as P5 class 40 miles

Safety:

Follow All Safety Rules and Equipment requirements of the sanctioning body.

Old 01-11-2004, 02:57 AM
packinair

Can I race if I turn off 1 of mine?

Old 01-11-2004, 04:24 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally posted by packinair
Can I race if I turn off 1 of mine?
Sure, But you would also have to leave one sponson on the trailer........

Vees only 21 to 24 ft.......

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 01-11-2004 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to complicate the situation, why limit to only V's. Is it again a safety concern?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats Tim,

I 've seen how hard you worked to put this together.

Good Luck !!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:42 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally posted by dreamboater
not to complicate the situation, why limit to only V's. Is it again a safety concern?
To keep the boats and engines as similar as possible as well as keep the competition tight.

To run a 21 Skater against a 21 Vee? No comparison...

Old 01-11-2004, 08:45 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

To keep the boats and engines as similar as possible as well as keep the competition tight.

To run a 21 Skater against a 21 Vee? No comparison...

Thanks Wes!
My only wish now is to see all of these boats come and race. Right then I will know this all paid off for the class, and we made a positive mark in Offshore racing.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:51 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bottom line...cats and vees do not belong in the same class.....and there are very few single engine outvboard cats 21-24 feet that can handle rough water......... a 24 Skater can..... but it needs two engines..... I think.

T2x
Old 01-11-2004, 01:54 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Great job and kudos to

Sharkey, Dennis, Kurt, OPA, The Jerzey Boyz, Pit Bull.....and all the Long Island guys, who kept their emotions in check.......... This is going to be fun.

T2x.... back from the Tahitian paradise.....dammit

Quick Reply: Single Outboard Boats "SOBs" Approved by OPA!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.