Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ther Verdict is In.  Gaffrig Press Release >

Ther Verdict is In. Gaffrig Press Release

Notices

Ther Verdict is In. Gaffrig Press Release

Old 01-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Gaffrig

Default Ther Verdict is In. Gaffrig Press Release

Gaffrig Celebrates Victory and 20th Anniversary in 2004!

What a great way to start the New Year. Not only is Gaffrig celebrating their 20th Anniversary in the marine industry, but also their victory in the courts awarding them exclusive rights to the Gaffrig name.

“Justice has prevailed”, says Mike Schultz, President of Gaffrig Performance. “We’re just glad it’s over and excited to begin the New Year on a positive-upbeat note.”

Over the years consumers have become increasingly confused about who the “real” Gaffrig manufacturer is. Therefore, in December 1999, in order to protect its consumers’ interest and the credibility of the Gaffrig name, a trademark infringement lawsuit was filed. Now, four years later, the verdict has finally come in:

On December 19th , 2003, Hon. William J. Hibbler of the US District Court, Northern District of Illinois, states: “Gaffrig Performance's request for an injunction against Livorsi Marine's use of any trademark or tradename incorporating the word Gaffrig, or the use of such a mark on, or in connection with the sale of, any marine products is GRANTED”

Gaffrig Performance, has been for 20 years and will continue to be the sole manufacturer of Gaffrig products.

In 1984 James Gaffrig started his marine product lines with a liquid filled speedometer. Over the past 20 years and many new products later, that Gaffrig name has become synonymous with quality. After Jim Gaffrig’s untimely death Mike Schultz, who had worked with Gaffrig since its inception, purchased the company and continues to operate it with the same passion for excellence set forth by James Gaffrig.

Gaffrig provides the industry with equipment and products that meet the demanding needs of the marine environment. James Gaffrig’s original muffler design, utilizing “gun silencer” technology, makes it one of the top mufflers on the market today. In addition, the waterproof gauges and US Coast Guard approved flame arrestors will stand up in the toughest of marine situations. The newly redesigned controls are constructed of lightweight aircraft aluminum and offer larger smoother handles for a more comfortable grip and can also be purchased with optional in-handle lighting and switches. Consumers can be confident that a Gaffrig product will withstand the harsh elements of a tough marine environment.

“Personal service, superior quality and innovative products are what we have always and will continue to strive for.” says Schultz. “We enjoy what we do . . . and it reflects in our products!”

Old 01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My instruments will say Gaffrig on them, even if I have to use a magic marker. Quality wise, service wise, reliability wise, there is no equal to Livorsi's products, period.

Scott B
Old 01-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like Livorsi will be selling gauges under a new name...no big deal, I'll still be buying Livorsi.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:40 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on your victory

however i will be using Livorsi guages in my boats becasue they are simply better guages than the now one and only official "gaffrig". I have one Gaffrig performance guage and it kind of loosk like doo mixxed in with my livorsi guages.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I`m a big Livorsi fan also. He has earned his spot in the market place by doing business the old fashioned way..Outstanding customer service.

Kurt
Old 01-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

My Gaffrig siquid speedo leaked all the glycerin out of it two years ago, and last year the seal broke on the inside and water rushed all over my dash at 60 mph. What a friggin mess. It's now useless and looks like crap. For what I spent on that gauge, it should have lasted longer than 7 years, even in the marine enviroment.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you call them about the problem? Beleive me, I stretched the meaning of customer service with Livorsi on a couple occasions, and they were awesome...

Scott B
Old 01-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough crowd!

Congrats on winning your case.

I also have Mike's gauges and love them... at least the person using the Graffig name makes a kick-azz product!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I am proud to say I have "Gaffrig Precision Instruments" gauges in our boat. These gauges, as I believe all the gauges in late model "Donzi" boats, are manufactured by Livorsi Marine.

I'll tape over the Gaffrig name if necessary as long as I get to keep my Livorsi gauges and get to deal with the knowledgable, friendly people at Livorsi Marine.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Well, by that ruling, thousands will now stop buying Gaffrig products and continue to buy whatever name Mike Livorsi markets his products under. I had excellent customer service from his company and he has earned a repeat customer. Keep it up Mike.

Quick Reply: Ther Verdict is In. Gaffrig Press Release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.