Notices

Without a trace...

Old 01-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Without a trace...

Even thought this wasn't a powerboat, it's valuable info to keep in the back of your mind.

Charleston, South Carolina
January 7th, 2004
City Marina

A 57 foot Benneteau sailboat was stolen from the city marina at an estimated 10:30 pm. The boat has a mast over 8 stories, can not be put on a trailer and can only run 250 miles in a 24 hr period. The boat had only been in the posession of the new owner (physician from Atlanta) since Dec. 31. The boat was valued at $750,000. The guess is that someone is taking the boat down to South America, possibly Brazil or Argentina. Coast Guard and FBI have sent helicopters out to search for the 57 footer with no luck. The insurance company is offering a $10,000 reward to anyone with info about the theft.

Leaving you boat at the marina just took on a whole new meaning.

THE STORY:
Investigators treading water in search for stolen sailboat
BY STEVE REEVES
Of The Post and Courier Staff
Investigators said Friday there is still no trace of the 57-foot luxury sailboat stolen last week from a slip at Charleston's City Marina, though sightings of the vessel have been reported from the Bahamas to the interstate.

FBI Special Agent Robert Derr said someone reported seeing the $750,000 yacht near Hope Town on Elbow Cay in the Bahamas. That sighting hasn't been verified, but Derr didn't sound hopeful that it was the boat authorities are seeking.

"I think it's farther along than that by now," Derr said.

But he said that's about the best tip authorities have received so far.

"I don't know whether it's a real sighting or not," he said. "That's about the only sighting we've gotten so far."

The French-made Beneteau sailboat belongs to Atlanta physician Glen McIntosh, who bought the vessel one week before it disappeared the night of Jan. 7 or early Jan. 8. Investigators say they have few clues and no suspects.

The Coast Guard and Charleston Police Harbor Patrol searched for the yacht the day it was reported missing, but no trace was found. Investigators say they are almost certain the yacht, which has a 75-foot-tall mast and weighs more than 47,000 pounds, is on its way to the southern hemisphere.

Fishing and sailing charters have been asked to be on the lookout, advisories have been posted on sailing-related Web sites, ham-radio operators are spreading information about the boat's description, and reward posters are popping up all over the world.

"We'll just wait and see if anyone spots it," Derr said. "That's about all we can do."

The Beneteau 57 is a rare model and was the only one owned so far in North America. McIntosh's boat was the second hull of its class produced. Only 50 of the 57-foot class have been built. The blue-hulled boat with mahogany staterooms was featured prominently in several sailing publications when it arrived in Charleston in May.

Lt. J.E. Williams of the Charleston Police Department said several people have reported seeing the vessel being driven down the interstate on the back of a tractor-trailer.

"There's been a lot of reports of blue-hulled boats on the interstate," Williams said.

But he said the stolen boat is far too large to be carried on a truck.

"Even sitting on its keel on a very low trailer, it would be too tall for the majority of overpasses on the interstate," he said. "So far, we haven't had any definitive reports."

Williams said the boat, which can travel as much as 250 miles a day, could be almost anywhere, but investigators are focusing on the Caribbean and Bahamas for now.

"The longer it doesn't show up, the farther away it could be," he said. "One theory is that it's on its way to Brazil or even farther south."

McIntosh's insurance company is offering a $10,000 reward for information that can help authorities locate the sailboat. Anyone with information is asked to call Derr at 843-722-0135 or Crimes Stoppers at 843-554-1111.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how many of these jobs are inside jobs.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not saying it didn't get stolen I just wonder how many high price item such as this wether it be cars or boats or just expensive toys vanish due to the owners losing some $$ and not being able to keep up with payments
Old 01-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

True
Old 01-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sutphen30
better yet,get paid a little to let them take it then a few days later,report it get paid twice.of course it could be in cuba ready to make a return run to florida with some new democrats
Old 01-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Registered

I'm willing to bet it's on it's way to New Zealand or Australia.... buddy of mine had his sailboat stolen from Mission bay in San Diego... it was sighted in New Zealand waters.... thief sold the boat to a Nz'er and the buyer had a bill of sale..... my buddy couldn't get it back.... went to court... the whole nine yards. Tough luck the NZ judge told him.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far behind in your payments could you get in one week?