Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   28 Pantera,,, 288 sunsation thoughts.. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69372-28-pantera-288-sunsation-thoughts.html)

Chris288 01-19-2004 09:11 AM

28 Pantera,,, 288 sunsation thoughts..

have been boat shopping and the 28 Pantera and 288 sunsation were tops on my list.

Checked out a 2001 Pantera w/ 500 EFI and stellings, hydraulic steering, custom paint, myco trailer and low hours,, very pretty outside and in the cabin,, but whats up w/ the cockpit/dash, looks like something out of that 70's show, with antiqued type vinyl and old looking dash and glove box. The vinyl wasnt white it was kinda marbled and looked old,,, cabin was very nice,, and bigger than I thought it would be. TOO BAD because we really like this boat, but I don't think the classic/old cockpit interior will ever grow on us.

The 288 sunsation is a very well thought out laid out boat. very nice 2000 style cockpit/dash design and a whole lot of storage and very nice lines.

as for handling and performance.. I know full well the Pantera will smoke the sunsation in the rough, but we don't boat in the ocean and we only get 2-3 footers in the hudson, so thats not really a problem and speed is pretty close. 69 compared to 72..

struggling, because I know the Pantera is a lot more boat for the money but we spend 99% of the time in the cockpit,, and if it's not all that attractive, not sure we'll be happy..

wwwTOPDJcom 01-19-2004 09:15 AM

I dont know but Too Old is selling a unpowered no drive Pantera That I really like for 48k I dont see anything wrong with it other than it needs a 525 in it :D

Tim G. 01-19-2004 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now what's really wrong with this?
The cockpit is open and uncluttered with "euro" junk. Very functional, and gauges are right where they should be.

CAP071 01-19-2004 09:49 AM

All depends on what YOU want as the boat's owner. I had a 28 Sunsation. Not a single complaint. Definitely one of the best looking boats out there today and great factory support. But I have never heard of a complaint about a Pantera either :D

Chris288 01-19-2004 10:07 AM

Tim, the vinyl in your boat looks white,,, the vinyl in this boat was marbled w/ wite and coffee color.

I know it depends on what WE want just wish the cockpit of the Pantera was a little more modern.. besided that one hell of a boat, as well as the sun..

BLee 01-19-2004 10:16 AM

Originally posted by CAP071
But I have never heard of a complaint about a Pantera either :D
and you never will on this board. :D :D

Seen many of both. I like the Sunsation. Can you get twins in the 288 Sunsation?

Indy 01-19-2004 10:19 AM

I share some of the same sentiments on the Pantera. We went to look at one a couple of month's ago and I was surprised at the lack of freeboard and the "dated" look of some of its features. I'll not be considering one when I purchase my next boat which was very disappointing to me. Now...before the Pantera clan jumps all over me on this, I think it was a very well constructed boat and had some great features also and I have no doubt about its capabilities on the water. It's just not for me.

I've never been on a Sunsation, but from what I hear, it'll do you just fine on the Hudson.

CAP071 01-19-2004 10:24 AM

I had a 28.8 with a single 502 mag and to be honest I never had a problem with it. I had it off the coast by cape may NJ plenty of times. tweeking the 502 you can get about 71-72 with out any major mods. which isn't bad for a 28.8 foot boat considering all other 28's are twins that i came up against, Pantera, sonic, baja, donzi.

No you can not get twins in a 28

kitten 01-19-2004 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:D........See "Boats for Sale".................

sun28 01-19-2004 10:59 AM

After 8 years with my 28 Sunsation, I can tell you that they are definitely a well built boat. Not had mine out in the ocean but Lake Erie can get pretty rough and I've never had a prolem there. Mine with a 500HP run 72.9 out of the box.