Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   WEIGHT! is there really any substitute? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69522-weight-there-really-any-substitute.html)

Steve_H 01-20-2004 12:29 PM

WEIGHT! is there really any substitute?

i see all these claims " yes , its great in the rough water" but i have a hard time believing alot of them.

if it only weighs around 5000 lbs. how good can the ride be in big water? im talking about vee's here , not cats.

does anyone make a light boat that can handle big water comfortably?

ok , im bored and wanted to try and start a good topic.

MitchStellin 01-20-2004 12:33 PM

Oh, a resin bucket calling out light weights. Now you ARE starting something WWIII.:D I had a heavy Donzi that rode like a John Boat because it was too wide. Weight is a must for big water, but you need to be able to slice the water also. I think weight is a good thing as long as you have the power to push it. Plus weight usually means strenght unless you have a bunch of whales on board:eek: :D

robyw1 01-20-2004 12:40 PM

Well this is the beginning of an interesting topic. What is the best ratio between fiberglass and resin? and what percent of the glass of a good boat is woven vs sprayed?

Roby

Steve_H 01-20-2004 12:49 PM

Originally posted by MitchStellin
Oh, a resin bucket calling out light weights. Now you ARE starting something WWIII.:D I had a heavy Donzi that rode like a John Boat because it was too wide. Weight is a must for big water, but you need to be able to slice the water also. I think weight is a good thing as long as you have the power to push it. Plus weight usually means strenght unless you have a bunch of whales on board:eek: :D
not trying to start ww111 although wars ARE fun to watch:D
its a legit question. one that i havent really seen addressed here before specifically. doesnt have to be any certain length or weight. its a design delema that i wonder about is all.

hugetime1 01-20-2004 12:51 PM

my boat is awsome in the rough stuff and is only 4500 lbs

SS930 01-20-2004 12:53 PM

Since I was talking about it on another thread...
The Superboat 30' Y2K weighs in well under 5000 lb.(about 4500-4800lb). This boat is always in the front of the F1 pack under rough water conditions. 30'... 7' beam... hard to beat in a vee of this size in rough water.;)

SS930 01-20-2004 12:54 PM

Of course there's also the BAT BOATS!

sean stinson 01-20-2004 12:54 PM

There are a lot of trade offs but the old addage goes as follows.

"There's No Replacement For Displacement"

Yes you can lighten them up some but too much then you start flying around pretty good.

Sean

SS930 01-20-2004 12:57 PM

As a general rule, the longer and narrower you can make a boat, the smoother and faster it will be.

Reed Jensen 01-20-2004 12:57 PM

I've been to lots of composite sites... they all claim that idea ratio of resin to cloth is 52 percent resin to 48 percent cloth... by weight.... hence all the hooplah around vacuum infusion and vacuum bagging... but I think ride on rough water is more influenced by hull shape and how deep the vee is... a flatter hull will be faster and plane better... a deep vee all the way to the transom will land softer when coming off the waves.. at least that is my opinion.... any one have a differing opinion? let's hear it! Also balance and center of gravity affect the ride quality too... a light bow with a heavy transom will experience more pitch... ( twin engines... no cabin) than a staggered arrangement and a cabin.