Notices

Marathon Key vs others

Old 01-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marathon Key vs others

I have a question for all you Florida folks. Several couple are heading down to the Keys for lobster week and I need some advice on where to stay. We will be taking our boat with us. At this point, it looks like it will be either Marathon Key or Key Key Largo/Islamorada. I was wanting to get some pros/cons on the two areas. We will have no kids and we were looking to do a little fishing, cruising, occasional nightlife. etc. What are the pros/con for each. Which place has the most/better on-the-water bars and restaurants?
Old 01-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Registered

I think Marathon is a great place to vacation. That or Hawk's Cay resort on nearby Duck Key. Not sure about the night life on Marathon but plenty of place's to eat on the water, a convenient public boat ramp, and a short boat ride to snorkel Sombrero Reef have made it our favorite place to go.

Got me thinking about chasing lobster now instead of working
Old 01-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Like Marathon, But Islamorada Has more nightlife(TIKI BAR), I believe.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Banned

Marathon is quite a bit bigger and has more places on it. It has less of a touristy feel to it. There are several places for night life, some better than others. The Brass Monkey comes to mind, but I guess I'm just getting a bit too old for the music volume there. I pulled up last year when we were at the races and it was so loud outside, I didn't even go in.

Anybody know if the Idle Hour Lounge is still there?

Good bar at Key Colony Beach. Most of the larger motels have a Tiki Bar. I got alcohol poisoning at the Tike Bar at the Buccaneer Motel back when I still had a liver! As a matter of fact, that was the first time I'd ever heard of the term "Poker Run". A bunch of the fisherman were hopping bar to bar and picking up cards. That had to be 20 years ago.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:46 PM
WickedWon

Default Key Largo / Islamorada Rules

The Keys the way you dream about them, here ya go.

Snooks mm 100 bay side

Snappers mm 95 ocean side

Mile Marker 88 ( thats the name) at mm 88 (duh) bayside

Holiday Isle mm 84

Loerlei's mm 82 bay side

Pierre's mm 81.5 bay side

Islamorada Fish Co. mm 81 bay side

And while not on the water, the best ( and best value) for BIG stone crab is Uncles at mm 81.

Go by land first cause some of these places are TIGHT to get in by water and get a feel for the access, I'm going down this Thursday for a long weekend of busting props and sampling the food and beverage at all of the above CAN"T WAIT !

I must give credit to Robert ( Tonto) for showing me pretty much all of the above and turning me on to the Upper Keys, hell I keep a boat their now

Old 01-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Registered

We'll have the boat in Knight's Key Harbor (by the 7-mile Bridge) for about two weeks starting the last week of Feb. Just lots of great boating from there. COMEONDOWN!! --- Jer
Old 01-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Monti's In Key West!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Registered

JD Remember the golden rule. Don't ever say you know Pauly. A sure fire way to get kicked out of every one of those fine establishments. Remember to keep the drives up like Robert taught you. NK
Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Registered

Try the Hurricane Grill in Marathon. Also in Marathon The Stuffed Pig Is a great place for breakfest.

Ilamorada definately has more to offer
Old 01-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Registered

To add to WickedWon's list;
Papa Joe's just south of Islamarada under the bridge (US1, Bayside) from Bud and Mary's

If you got the balls or I should say drives, there's the Outback Steak House just north of Bud and Mary's

In Key Colony Beach, it used to be called Amy's Landing, now I think it's called Flanigan's, come in from ocean side and it's right on the corner before you take a hard right to go north.

There's always Little Palm Island for brunch on Sunday. $$$$$$

In Key Largo, there is also the Caribbean Club, where the movie " Key Largo" was filmed.

I personally like the upper keys better. It has more scenic boating. Running through the mangroves and what not. There is a good ramp at Penekamp state park which is oceanside, so you look for a hotel oceanside or find a hotel bayside and find your way bayside. Bare in mind that if you have 6 feet of water under your boat in the keys bayside, that's deep! I don't know many places ocean side, but a friend of mine stayed at a condo somewhere near the Holiday Inn, which would be near Key Largo Harbour Marina. The Marriott, bayside is really nice, I've stayed there before. The Westin is a little further south. But Holiday Isle is ALWAYS a fun place to stay as long as you don't have any kids. There are resturants within a cab ride, or if you have a car, 93 octane fuel (something to look for in the keys), and of coarse the TIKI BAR.

Robert

Quick Reply: Marathon Key vs others

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.