Notices

Algrip Paint

Old 04-11-2004, 04:53 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Mike,

If you haven't already painted the bilge, be sure you get the right additive for it. Each is different. 1 is for spray and a different 1 is for rolling it on.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Whirlygig
Skatermike,

Spray is the best application for Awlgrip. This product is very tough. One of the most durable coatings in the paint industry. It's also very expensive and difficult to work with. Temperature is vital. If your outside the temp window it will run. If your application is heavy it will run. It tough to sand out, most applications are spray and leave.

Unless you have a specific application that would need extra durability I would suggest a standard two part part imron or deltron.

Whirlygig
Used it before myself several times I agree(deltron or imron)Over spray does not come of either!!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a few runs and have the patience can you wet sand and buff them out or will it show?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:06 AM
Registered

Skatermike24,

I was thinking of doing under my hatch and in the bilge area myself. Last summer when I put the hole in the bottom of my boat the guy painted it with AWLGRIP. I also saw a friends 28 with Awlgrip under the hatch etc and it comes out GREAT even with the brush. Now I want to get going on mine.

I have a question for you guys. If I bring my boat from my lake house to weekday house and put it in the heated garage, will the smell go through the entire house? Or, should I wait till it warms up around here to do it?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

FUMES WILL TRAVEL AND U WILL HAVE A LINGERING SMELL THAT WOULD MOST LIKELY GIVE EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE A HEADACHE
Old 04-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya Shane you DO NOT want to do this stuff in the house/garage!!!!! Not only will the fumes fill the house but they are VERY dangerous for you the wife and kids pets and anything else in the house. Waite tell it is warm enough and then do it outside. The temperature of the boat is just as important as the temperature of the outside. So keeping it inside the night before is a good idea in the spring so that the boat is already at 60 when the outside gets up to that temperature.

Jon
Old 04-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to use Awlgrip, but wound up with Interthane Plus. It can also be rolled or sprayed. I tried brushing a few small parts but it left brush marks. I then sprayed them and they came out great. Super glossy!

One piece of advise, make sure you de-greese/wax before you sand, and make sure everything is clean, clean, clean! Any little particle that lands on the wet paint will be noticable.

I also thinned it more than recomended because my gun did not have the right size tip.
Attached Thumbnails Algrip Paint-seat-base.jpg  
Old 04-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Audiofn
Ya Shane you DO NOT want to do this stuff in the house/garage!!!!! Not only will the fumes fill the house but they are VERY dangerous for you the wife and kids pets and anything else in the house. Waite tell it is warm enough and then do it outside. The temperature of the boat is just as important as the temperature of the outside. So keeping it inside the night before is a good idea in the spring so that the boat is already at 60 when the outside gets up to that temperature.

Jon
Thanks Jon!