Poker Runs, Egomaniacs With Too Much Money, and How Long Before >

Poker Runs, Egomaniacs With Too Much Money, and How Long Before

Notices

Poker Runs, Egomaniacs With Too Much Money, and How Long Before

Old 01-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker Runs, Egomaniacs With Too Much Money, and How Long Before

After reading the thread about OL and Fountain and the speeds they're attaining (to say nothing of the Skaters and Nortechs hitting close to 200mph at your average poker run) - it does seem that a major high profile (HEADLINE GRABBING) accident is in the works at either a Kilo Run or major poker run. How long does everyone think that performance boating "as we know it" is going to last? With the speeds production boats are capable of right now with stock Merc horsepower, the rising insurance, tree huggers, and the number of lunatics on the water - how long before we are either regulated or insurance companied out of our sport? And, are certain interests (in their pursuit of marketing their product and pushing the speed envelope) helping, or potentially really hurting offshore boating? I remember reading about the 90mph Cigarette back around 1989 (or so) which was SCREAMING FAST! Now, half the boats out of the factory are running close to this. Will insurance, government laws, environmentalists, or Coast Guard Regulations put an end to everything or am I thinking on the doom and gloom side?

By the way, if the majority seems to think things are headed down the tubes, someone should should think about starting a UNITED lobbying group to keep our sport the way it is. In my opinion if we all sit back and sit idle as insurance rates rise, environmentalists close down waterways, politicians regulate speed/noise/etc., we're all going to be buying Hobie Cat sailboats because they'll be the only legal fast thing still allowed on the water.

Last edited by JROMY; 01-15-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:48 AM
WickedWon

Default Yes and No

1 " Egomaniacs with too much money " That's a sour grapes issue that doesn't hold water. The "anybody with more money or a faster boat is an *******" mentality will always be around. The guy with a 16' Bayliner thinks you're an egomaniac

2. The speed capability of some of these rigs is truly amazing however they don't use the speed very often. I've run beside boats that are able to run 150mph all day at 90. I know they can leave, they know they can leave but they chose not to.

3. These big cats are safer at 110 - 120 than most boats are at 85 - 90 The guys who own them rarely run them over that except to show someone a big #. V hulls on the other hand ( I don't care who's) are a whole different animal at big speeds. I've been in both so don't debate this unless you have also

4. I do believe that we are living on borrowed time, and yes, one big incident that gets real media exposure will put a bullet in the whole performance industry thru insurance. Nationwide, for instance, will not insure boats that are capable of over 65mph, yes there will always be coverage available but at what cost.

So what's the answer, there is none except for each of us to do our part by paying attention to our guts and our *******s and when the pucker factor reaches about 8 on a scale of 10 SLOW DOWN ! I for one am gonna go enjoy my boat while I still can and just make sure i'm not the one who ruins it for everybody

Old 01-16-2004, 06:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Great response Wicked !!

If everyone had a level-headed attitude like that, even racing could get their chit together!!
Old 01-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Registered

This is an interesting thread. The insurance industy killed the "muscle" cars of the 60's and 1970. Yes, the oil embargo didn't help, but it was the insurance industry is what nailed the coffin shut. Yet, now, autos are running faster with the new technology, and we haven't heard a peep from the insurance companies. Very strange I think. Yes, you do pay for what you insure, but they still are not screaming like they did in the late 60's.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of high performance boaters, are the most courteous and generally careful group on the water. We know we are the group that is being "watched" It's the guy with the 21 ft. bowrider with 7 people on board who is an accident waiting to happen. I see it over and over every time I go out on the water.

As far as speed runs or kilo runs go, they are set up professionally and run by professionals. Can an accident happen? Of course. Just like they happen at the Bonneville Salt Flats when autos test for speed. No matter what you are doing, when you push the envelope, because it is what we, as humans, do, you take the chance of an accident. It happens. I seriously doubt if a "high profile" accident during a Kilo run would kill our sport. What could do it, as has been stated previously, is if we don't control each other when out on general public waterways. We are the group that gets watched and when an accident happens that involves one of them "C-Gar" boats, that is the accident that will generate the publicity.

The answer is surprisingly simple. Just be careful and cover your own a$$. Remember, you are not just representing yourself in a "hi-po" boat, you are representing all of us. Think before you act.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

During Poker Runs, NJPPC, FPBC and CBPBA (and others?) use a set of rules referred to as "The Poker Run 10 Commandments", and PRA/APRA has a set of a dozen or so common-sense rules that are very similar. If someone does something dumb our outside these rules, disciplinary action follows. (Witness the recent events in Florida.) If every organization fell into step, it would put us all (and the industry) in a much more favorable position. It has already helped NJPPC a ton in dealing with some of the issues up north. Once the authorities see that an organization is pro-active (and serious) about safety and the behavior of its members, things get a lot better.

That being said, Troutly is right: "It" will happen. But if it does so at an event where safety and behavioral standards are in effect, it will be difficult for the uniformed public and sensationalist press to get as carried away as they might otherwise. As a community, it is up to us to lead the way.

Board Gods: Can you dig up the original "10 Commandments" thread from February 2001????

Of course, what someone does while out on their own is another matter, and that is where I see "The Big One" most likely to happen. (Like the guy in Florida in 1998 that ran his boat through another one while drunk at night in a speed zone. That hurt all of us.)

Last edited by C_Spray; 01-16-2004 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:18 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JD WOW YOU COULDN'T HAVE PUT IT ANY BETTER. RB
Old 01-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Registered

Of course, what someone does while out on their own is another matter, and that is where I see "The Big One" most likely to happen. (Like the guy in Florida in 1998 that ran his boat through another one while drunk at night in a speed zone. That hurt all of us.) [/B][/QUOTE]

Particularily the people on board the cruiser
Old 01-16-2004, 09:15 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Nauti Kitty
Of course, what someone does while out on their own is another matter...
I agree as long as he doesn't file an insurance claim.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The insurance claim will be peanuts compared to the lawsuits, outrage, public hand-wringing, etc...
Old 01-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think of boating as the last great freedom..... you can't drive your car as fast as it can go.... you can't fly your airplane without a myriad of regulations governing how high or in what direction. (air highways and faa rules). But you can get into your boat and once you are out of the wake free zone... you can pretty much do what you please... I'm afraid it is only a matter of time before some idiot will kill someone or endanger a group of people before the politically correct crowd jump on the regulation bandwagon and try to put a stop to the fun.

Quick Reply: Poker Runs, Egomaniacs With Too Much Money, and How Long Before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.