Tell me about Florida, the Carolinas, and Georgia >

Tell me about Florida, the Carolinas, and Georgia

Notices

Tell me about Florida, the Carolinas, and Georgia

Old 01-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about Florida, the Carolinas, and Georgia

OK, boys, I'm invoking the power of OSO here... this winter may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. The CEO of dockrocker, inc. has greenlighted the "Southern Research Project." This means that I can start to do some serious research on relocating to Florida, the Carolinas, or Georgia - preference in that order.

So, edumacate me on these states for a middle class family of four; what towns are the best to live/work in, what to avoid, what to look for. My initial thoughts are Tampa/St. Pete area, but I'm open to any suggestions. I work in the IT consulting field, mostly for the govt (I hold a secret clearance, which enhances your job prospects immensely...); the Mrs is a fantastic project manager, though she may not work if I can find the right position.

That being said, I work from home currently and the company doesn't care if that home is in Florida or Michigan. Of course, I'd like to find a better paying job if one were to be available.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Also interested in the Carolinas, but I don't think they have any water in South Carolina; at least, the only OSO member I know from SC has never had a boat in the water.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Registered

Hey doc, Florida is the best! Melbourne area is alot of bang for the buck, Tampa Bay is nice, Destin and FWB are also great. If Florida is your first choice make it happen. We need more republicans that know how to vote! Call me at 954-309-2222 I'll give you the scoop.

Hugh
Old 01-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to move, go all the way South to Florida!

It was 62 degrees here Saturday and beautiful, only 25 Degrees Sunday with 5 inches of snow!

Sleet and freezing rain coming in tonight!

I like your signature:

Piss off a liberal -- work hard, be happy and own guns.

We could certainly use you here in North Carolina!

Good Luck
Old 01-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm from Greenville, SC if I were going to move somewhere else in SC I guess it would have to be Charleston. Nice historic town with lots to offer as far as boating goes. The climate is relatively mild, there will be some cold days. The area seems to be growing from a business stand point.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go all the way, dock, don't half-azz it!
With no bias, whatsoever, I recommend FL.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

Charleston is a great place to live, water everywhere, islands everywhere, tons to do.... but we do have a mild winter. If I moved to Florida, I would look real close at Sarasota, or Fort Meyer area. I think Fort Meyer is less expensive than Sarasota. Charleston is about the same as Sarasota as far as home prices go.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Hi,

We are in the same situation right now. Moving from Jersey to Palm Harbor FL. Pinellas county schools are very good. We settled on the east lake section of Lake Tarpon. If you want, PM me and we can talk. Not sure what you want to spend on a house, be we are in the 450k range for a really nice pad. I can hook you up with the school info and things like School Choice and the change in calendar, etc.

I know that they are advertising specifically for IT jobs with Security clearance. I'm in IT also, but I work for Microsoft.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Registered

Southeast Fl is very expensive, unless you would be happy living waaayyyyy inland, or in a crack 'hood .

Since you mentioned your family, I would think about the west coast from Ft Myers to Clearwater, besides being more easy going and not as RUDE as we are on the Eastern side, (it has to do with the overcrowding)
you get a LOT of house for under $250K!
I am currently looking in the St Pete area myself.

Also, the Cocoa Beach to Indialantic areas give you quite a lot of real estate for the buck. I just sold a nice house across the street from the ICW to one of my clients from here, for $180K.

Remember this about the weather here, Lake Okeechobee divides the northern, cooler, less tropical, from the south, which is a subtropical climate with quite different vegetation from what you see north of it, like pines.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Tell me about Florida, the Carolinas, and Georgia-elliot-6-72.jpg  
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 01-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

All three of those states have HUGE mosquitos!!! And cockroaches.... you don't want to know about them!!!

Oh, and in the summer, it's REALLY hot. Like Africa hot!!

Quick Reply: Tell me about Florida, the Carolinas, and Georgia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.