Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Turning a salvage title into a clean title >

Turning a salvage title into a clean title

Notices

Turning a salvage title into a clean title

Old 01-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is very legal and done all of the time except a title history will show previous history of the salvage. It must undergo inspection and you will then receive a clean title, however will show salvage history if one was to look further. The new title will ussually show no indication of this but must be disclosed at time of sale.
Read here about laws in georgia

http://www.gadmvs.com/motor/titles/needed/salvage.asp

Some states vary for example florida. By the way Carfax does not pick it up always. I have done a few that carfax did not have info on. Salvage vehicles can be just as good as a new vehicle, for example a salvage that was nothing but a theft recovery missing a few bolt on parts.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:56 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Crazyhorse
Yeah, that's just what you need, more legal problems.

DITTO
Old 01-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I've ever driven are salvage cars, from mustangs and corvettes to mercedes 500sl convertibles to my recent cadillac escalade. Back in the day you could wash titles, but like stated with carfax its pointless. A salvage title will become a "rebuilt" title after inspection. If you buy the car right, you can usually always sell it for a profit, even with a "bad" title, try doing that with a dealer bought car. These cars are'nt for everyone,but I've enjoyed some nice rides that i would never have bought at retail $. just my .02
Old 01-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

if it is your car and you buy it back from the insurance company it will not be a salvage title.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 251 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally posted by Bigyellowcat
if it is your car and you buy it back from the insurance company it will not be a salvage title.
yes it can if thats the ins. co. policy

repairable cars has been my biz and i hold salvage agent licences for almost every state in the u.s.

there is NO way to turn salvage into clean, even the old kentucky trick will not work anymore, there is always a paper trail

washing the title exposes you to major legal issues, don't bother
Old 01-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every car I have ever owned has been a total. but my dad used to have a body shop and has a lot of friends in the business. There probably aren't many people my age with 3 vehicles that are owned outright with no payments. I did most of the work myself on my vehicles and have done some paintwork on others cars and boats. The thing about getting a salvage title is they are hard for individuals to sell. My dad builds a lot of wrecked cars, but not many with salvage titles. My latest project was a 99 camaro. It is finished and I have under 4k in it as far as labor and everything. It was a wedding/college graduation present for my wife. She never had a car through out college.

Ernie

before
Attached Thumbnails Turning a salvage title into a clean title-drearcamw.jpg  
Old 01-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

during
Attached Thumbnails Turning a salvage title into a clean title-p1002252.jpg  
Old 01-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Registered

after...

by the way if you don't know what you are doing these projects can take years..... A freind of mine saw how fast I was getting my cars completed and decided to start a restore on his car. That was 4 years ago, and he now has a 73 427 corvette that he still owes a bank money on in about 100000000 peices. If you don't have the equipment of the knowledge or the space to take on something like this..... don't.

Ernie
Attached Thumbnails Turning a salvage title into a clean title-cam4.jpg  
Old 01-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally posted by Bigyellowcat
Correct, I just did this last week. After my truck was brought to the body shop my insurance company decided it was totalled. The guy at the shop was VERY interested in buying it back from ME. I got the money minus the salvage value from the insurance company. Then the body shop bought the truck from me. The transaction went as if it was a normal sale. The insurance companies have a formula to go by. It depends on the age, type of damage, and value of the vehicle whether they will let this happen.

This was totally legal but I am wondering how ethical this type of thing is. Now that I am looking for a vehicle, possibly a used one, I would like to know if it was extensively damaged.

Last edited by Dave M; 01-24-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Don't be a scammer. Do the right thing---Remember, what goes around comes around!!

SO DAMN TRUE

Quick Reply: Turning a salvage title into a clean title

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.