Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Building credit (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70092-building-credit.html)

HyperBaja 01-26-2004 02:05 PM

Building credit

Any tips? This came up on Allans board, just wondering what everyone else says...

CigDaze 01-26-2004 02:12 PM

It's easier said than done for most folks, but it's really simple in concept.

The first step for most is obtaining a credit card. Once you get one, use it as often as you can but make sure you have money at hand to back it up. Then when the bill comes every month, pay it off or at least make the minimum payments. Do that for a while, then you can move on to store cards, gas cards and even short term loans like at certain stores. After doing that for a while, get a car loan or other such loan and do the same thing.

Most important things to remember are never pay late, and never exceed your limit.

Your ratings are then calculated and periodically increased depending on the length of you credit history, ability to pay, debt to income ratios and your age.

Good credit takes time to develop, it doesn't just happen. :)

traviss 01-26-2004 02:31 PM

I like building credit.. :D :D :D :D

truck loan
boat loan
snowmobile loan
Credit card signing at over $7,000 :eek:

Baja daze.. "never exceed your limit" I think I missed that advice :eek: Where were you 5 yrs ago when i got my first credit card :D :D I have no problem useing my credit card, it won't melt, its water cooled :D

If it cost .02 to **** I would have to puke :D

impulsive 01-26-2004 02:50 PM

Another thing is to get a small personal loan for something and pay it off asap. When you get a loan and make current payments then pay it off it really helps. Also, DO NOT have more than 3 cards. Having too many cards lowers your credit score. When you apply for a loan the possible debt of your existing credit cards is figured as actual debt. If you have 8 cards with a total limit of 20k then you have 20k of possible debt. It does take time to build credit, Don't rush it. Also, find a small local bank that wants your business.

tomtbone1993 01-26-2004 03:01 PM

Just apply for a "Black" AE card they will hook you up!!!

Cord 01-26-2004 03:09 PM

Credit cards are nice, but ALWAYS PAY THEM OFF!!!!!!!!

Danny Usnik 01-26-2004 03:12 PM

Originally posted by traviss

If it cost .02 to **** I would have to puke :D

LMAO :D :D :D

97BossHammer 01-26-2004 03:26 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. If you do get a credit card....get a good one, not one with these outrageous fees. Pay your bill each month, no exeptions. I wouldn't waste a lot of time worrying about your credit....just take it slow and don't get anything that you can't afford or pay for in a month. I've heard several horror stories of people trying to build up credit by buying this or that and that only leads to big time trouble.

Crazyhorse 01-26-2004 03:37 PM

deal in cash and you don't need no stinking credit.

Risk Taker 01-26-2004 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Crazyhorse
deal in cash and you don't need no stinking credit.
Agreed......:D

However, re credit........just don't f*ck it up. You don't realize when your young how important good credit will be later in life.......I learned the hard way...:rolleyes: