Like Tree0Likes

No Wake in any coves at LOTO!!!

Old 02-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 2017 Nor-Tech 34 Sport

I have already contacted Wayne Cooper, no response. I do think it is also important to contact the Water Patrol since they have come out in favor of this proposal.
I don't want to see what they did to Grand Lake happen at the Ozarks.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28ft Saber, 22 Velocity

Quote:
Originally posted by lotoparty
the part that worries me is by the time these wonderfull lawmakers get done it wont look anything like its being proposed today.
400 ft. wide will be 800 ft. and 26 ft. will be 18 ft.
Your right, the 400ft wide has already been thrown out, and now it includes ALL COVES!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Registered

mjpcowboy, Thanks!! I had a feeling that e-mail was a generic one!! Now I don't feel so Bad for what I said!!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 42 fountain twin 500's

Ok everyone now is the time to step up. If you live in are have property ( are know someone that does ) in the state of Missouri have them go to www.state.mo.us find there state representative and fire off a email to your state rep letting him or her know of your opposition to this bill and that you wish him to vote against it. The representatives look at 1 email as the voice of 1000 people so you can make a difference. if you, like myself have a home at the lake and one somewhere else in the state email both your representatives. The above email address will get you to the main page then look for an area that will give you your state rep by zip code. We can make a difference, with the people that vote it into law not the water patrol, they dont make the law they inforce the law. Please let everyone you know in the state to email or write their State Rep.

later
Dave Hughes

Last edited by later; 02-04-2004 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One day we will look back at boating and realize it's no longer fun due to all these laws
Old 02-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 2017 Nor-Tech 34 Sport

TTT
Old 02-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Steve_H

Quote:
Originally posted by later
Ok everyone now is the time to step up. If you live in are have property ( are know someone that does ) in the state of Missouri have them go to www.state.mo.us find there state representative and fire off a email to your state rep letting him or her know of your opposition to this bill and that you wish him to vote against it. The representatives look at 1 email as the voice of 1000 people so you can make a difference. if you, like myself have a home at the lake and one somewhere else in the state email both your representatives. The above email address will get you to the main page then look for an area that will give you your state rep by zip code. We can make a difference, with the people that vote it into law not the water patrol, they dont make the law they inforce the law. Please let everyone you know in the state to email or write their State Rep.

later
Dave Hughes
just sent mine to [email protected]

lets be heard everyone!

Old 02-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Registered

Later, When do they vote on this???

Troutly, I know! I know!!
but, I still don't like his canned response.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Awesome35

Tearing up my dock & boats at my house with your 25' cruiser will really show "them"!

Old 02-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Fountain 10 Meter
Default Note to Mr. Cooper

Here is a copy of the note I sent to Mr. Cooper earlier this morning. I am currently in the process of looking at last summers Water Patrol Incidents at LOTO to back up my claims. There are more that 800 incidents written in the file for all waters in Missouri, so it will take a while.

Dear Mr. Cooper,
I have recently seen articles describing pending legislation that will restrict boating activities at Lake of the Ozarks. While the details of the bill are somewhat unclear, the intent seems to be limiting the speeds of all boats over 26' in all coves (after a review by the appropriate authorities and approval of 75% of cove residents). We own a lake front house on the lake near the 10 MM of the main channel so I have some personal experience with the water conditions at various times of the day, week, year. We have been visiting the lake since 1972 so we have seen the evolution of the boats on the water.

I would argue that there is a fundamental flaw in the the design and intent of the law. The length of a vessel does not determine the size of the wake produced. It is the displacement of a vehicle and the speed at which it is traveling that causes wakes. The way the bill is currently worded, all boats of 26 ft and greater will be speed restricted in approved coves. That means that 26 ft or larger pontoon boat is assumed to be capable of producing the same wake as a 26 ft cruiser (average displacement of 12,000 pounds). There are many studies available that discuss the relationship of displacement to size of wake created. I would suggest the legislature become familiar with these physical laws before classifying all vessels over 26 ft as damaging wake creators.
Finally, you stated in your interview with the Lake Sun Leader "I'm not against big boats but I do want to do what I can to protect lives and property". The proposed legislation will not protect lives. As proof, I suggest that you review the Missouri Water Patrol Incident reports. You will notice that majority of all incidents involve PWC. Many of these are caused by careless operation / inexperienced operators. I would rather see efforts focused on ways to improve the safety of PWC activities so that my family and I may enjoy many safe and enjoyable weekends at Lake of the Ozarks like we have for the past 30 years.

In closing, I respectfully request that this bill be withdrawn until the legislature is familiar enough with displacement, speed, length and their relationship to producing wakes. I would also suggest that if the focus is on protecting lives, restricting activites on all boats 26 ft and greater will not produce the desired results.

This letter probably won't do any good, but it felt theraputic to write it and send it.