Anyone had Lasik eye surgery? >

Anyone had Lasik eye surgery?

Notices

Anyone had Lasik eye surgery?

Old 01-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Anyone had Lasik eye surgery?

I was wondering if you guy's could give me feedback on Lasik eye surgery? A friend is trying to talk me into it. I have 20/40 & 20/70 vision and I'm considering having it done on my bad eye. I've heard nothing but good reviews from people that have had it done, but I understand there are possibilities of problems.

One person recommended that if I decide to do the surgery, find a Dr. that offers "wavefront" lasik, said it is better. ???
Old 01-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know quite a few people that have had it done and everybody loves it. I have been considering it but haven't yet either. Must be nerves..
Old 01-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it done several years ago. Mine was one of the first of my type done (far sighted + astigmatism). It wasn't even FDA approved when I first went to be evalutated.

It's a fantastic procedure. One of my eyes got bad again and they did it again. It's not a magic bullet though, you eyes will still get old after the procedure. I need reading glasses now, but I can still see a helluva lot better than before.

The procedure itself is no worse than a haircut.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

One friend got the flap infected, but he got it taken care of and vision is fine now.

Another friend did it and couldn't see worth a darn for over a year after the procedure. 3 years later, he is finally happy he had it done. He was halfway through getting his pilot's license when he had the procedure. Had to bail out on the license and started it all over about 6 months ago and now has his license.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

SS930

I own part of a LASIK center, have had it done myself, and have probably co-managed 5000 patients. Let me know if I can help out.

Yes, definately go wavefront. If you could give me more specifics, I could be of more help. i.e., your age, prescription, and what you want to accomplish.

Good luck.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN

[email protected]

Last edited by mikesufka; 01-27-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Registered

I had conventional lasik about 3 years ago when I turned 30. I was nearsighted and had worn glasses and contacts for about 15 yrs or so prior to that. My doctor told me to wait to have it done until my eyesight stopped detiorating for around 18 months.
It took about 5 minutes per eye, with absolutely no pain. The worst part about the procedure is sitting in the room waiting to have it done. After the doctor smoothed out the flaps I was able to see instantly. He made me go home and take a nap and lay low for the rest of the day. There were 2 sets of drops I could use - one for pain which I never needed and the other was to help the healing. I also was not supposed to rub my eyes at all for a week to make sure the flaps did not come up.
I have not had any problems with my vision since and I now see 20/15. The weirdest part about it was getting used to waking up in the morning and not having to find my glasses so I could see.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:23 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

a good friend of mine father performas TONS of them and from what i heard is upposed to be really good and well know. Wellhe doens;t actually do eth lasik himself one of his underling doctors taht works in his parctice does the lasiks, he does all the wierd specialized eye surgeries.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

That was the best invetsment I have ever made. People who can see clearly will never understand what it's like to wake up and not be able to see the clock. I now have 20/20 and I'm thankful everyday for getting that surgery done. Well worth the money. Simple outpatient, then minor discomfort for a couple of days.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also looked into it. Been wearing glasses/contacts since I was 5 or so. 40 now.
My wife works in the hospital surgury and works with eye surgons all the time so she gets the inside scoop. They all say that todays procedures just keep on advancing with great results and recommend it.

From everything I gathered, it is great for the under 40 crowd, but 40 seems to be the age when your eyes change again, so may have to have a 'tuneup' if you have you have it done younger. I was going to have it done this winter, but the damn boat projects taking all my eye money. Seems like the longer I wait, the more specialized it becomes for the different types of eye conditions; near or far sighted, astigmatisim...
Everyone I know that has had it done love it, once they get past signing the release form stating you accept that you may go blind during the procedure.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-27-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I had Lasik done 3 years ago, almost to the day. I had been wearing glasses or contacts since I was 11. My eyesight had deteriorated to 20/800. That's not a typo; what most people saw at 800 feet, I could only see at 20 feet. To give you a perspective 20/200 uncorrected is legally blind. My eyes are now 20/15 and it is fantastic. About 2 months after the surgery my buddy and I were off South Miami Beach when he snagged a rope around the one prop and shaft of his '63 Sea Ray. The captain and I did a free dive for about two hours (30 seconds at a time) cutting off the tangle one piece at a time. About ten minutes into the process, this gorgeous school of Yellow Tail Snappers appeared under us. Three months before, I couldn't have seen them without a prescription mask. It was an incredible feeling to see them with 'just' my eyes.
I don't know where you live, but the doctor in Baltimore who did my eyes has people come in from all over the world.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598

Quick Reply: Anyone had Lasik eye surgery?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.