Interesting new stern drive - 700+ ft-lbs

Notices

Interesting new stern drive - 700+ ft-lbs

Old 02-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
....Volvo was not successful their first time out trying to break into it, they wont be a second time either....unless they can somehow break into the racing or poker run scenes with some power packages that are much LESS money than Merc to make it attractive to buy...
Volvo lacked commitment when they tried it a few years ago, so it will be interesting to see what they've learned if they try it again. They DID get their packages onto all the Scarabs at Wellcraft's high-performance boating school.

My 600 Innovation/Volvo's cost me $37,000 less than a pair of 575SCi/Brakos, so I'm pretty sure Volvo's pricing will be acceptable. Plus, in five seasons, I've had exactly ZERO drive problems and the boat is a dream to drive. I intend to keep the boat for another 5 years, so I doubt that the package will cost me $37,000 in resale. In the meantime, I've invested the money....

Look at it this way - what other options do you have for 700 hp? A pair of 6's will set you back about $55,000 on a good day, and I'm sure these won't be that much.

It will be interesting to see if these work out for high-performance applications. In the meantime, Mercury continues to ignore the hole in its lineup between 575hp and 900 hp.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:03 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

CS,
Don't take what I said in a matter to dis the quality of the product you mentioned I would love for viable alternatives to be around, It would make Merc probably lower their prices.

But to feel comfortable I need more than engineering. Serenity with availability of parts is one thing.

But the most important for me is public perception for re-sale of boats equipped that way. Sitting an extra six month on a boat when you want to move it is also very expensive, and you have to count that in the equation.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

GLH - No problem. If you're moving through boats on a regular basis, you have to stick to buying what is currently mainstream hardware. It's all about "horses for courses" - buy what works for you. I don't see this drive showing up in "our neighborhood" (hi-perf applications) for a year or two, anyway.

As I worked my way up through small boats and runabouts, though, Volvo Penta made a believer out of me, so I've stuck with them and had zero regrets. I've had zero problems getting parts through Volvo's parts system, and service centers are easy to find up here on Chesapeake Bay. (Including my home marina, where it's 100' from my rack to the service bay.)

I like the looks of it - I think that it looks like a small 6. (Guess they're "ceiling fans" too... ) That's really a Kiekhafer product, not mercury anyway. By the way - does anyone REALLY think that a Bravo is pretty? Or a TRS for that matter?
Old 02-03-2004, 07:37 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It's pretty when you sell it attached to a boat a year after you owned it and make a profit!!!

Can't beat luck!!!

I think the best looking drives a #6's... Maybe one day!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:52 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally posted by C_Spray
In the meantime, Mercury continues to ignore the hole in its lineup between 575hp and 900 hp.
thats what i hope volvo capitalizes on. i have had a few boats with volvos on them and have never had a falure either.

c-spray, just out of curiosity, what kind of performance gains do you see over a comperable merc pakage. mph? gph?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll stick with what works Team Black!! When was the last time you saw a race boat with anything but Merc drives on it???
Old 02-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Originally posted by dyno
I'll stick with what works Team Black!! When was the last time you saw a race boat with anything but Merc drives on it???
Dyno - ask the "old timers" about something called a 280, or look on any raceboat not being run in the US. Actually, many of the raceboats in the US don't really run "Mercury" drives. The #6 was designed and built buy Kiekhafer Aeromarine, and purchased by Mercury (granted - they sell it now), and boats in classes that are not required to use Bravos to tend to use a lot of aftermarket parts/dirves from IMCO and others. Again - It's a matter of what works for you.

Glassdave - some loss of "ultimate top speed" since the drives run deeper, and there is some prop surface area drag. Duoprops get to be too much drag over 90 mph or so. Far (massively) better hookup around the docks and for starts (ask Troutly about his 525/ITS prop saga...), and efficient (1.0 mpg/less than 10% slip) at cruising speeds around 60 mph/3900 rpm or so. This is with a 12,000 lb/38' boat. I don't know about everyone else, but I do a lot of cruising, and only spend about 1% of my time at WOT.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No black on this race boat.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting new stern drive - 700+ ft-lbs-weisman-drives.jpg  
Old 02-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by C_Spray
My 600 Innovation/Volvo's cost me $37,000 less than a pair of 575SCi/Brakos, so I'm pretty sure Volvo's pricing will be acceptable. Plus, in five seasons, I've had exactly ZERO drive problems and the boat is a dream to drive. I intend to keep the boat for another 5 years, so I doubt that the package will cost me $37,000 in resale. In the meantime, I've invested the money....
A good friend of mine just sold his scarab about 6 months ago, it had the innovation 600/volvo package in it as well. We had ZERO drive problems with that boat the 3 years he owned it. It was a 33' AVS that ran 92 on GPS, and could almost all day long as well. We ran that boat hard, and it never failed. The ONLY "problems" we ever had was cracking props, and that was ONLY due to the thinning that we had done with them..

I would put the DPX drive behind ANY performace motor and not have any regrets about it.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they look sweet and welcome them to the market. We all want more choice in everything we buy, I hope they make a good run at the hipo market!

Quick Reply: Interesting new stern drive - 700+ ft-lbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.