Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Interesting new stern drive - 700+ ft-lbs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70728-interesting-new-stern-drive-700-ft-lbs.html)

C_Spray 02-02-2004 02:32 PM

Interesting new stern drive - 700+ ft-lbs

1 Attachment(s)
Found this setup on Volvo Penta's web site. It's a new totally-integrated package with built-in direct hydraulic steering, full electronic controls/data system and even electric shift (via servo). The current (first) package pretty much blows away the 300 Yanmar/Bravo3 package right off the shelf since it's all from a single manufacturer, but if you read into things a bit more, it gets even MORE interesting:

1) Even though the current 310 hp diesel is rated at 3500 rpm/478 ft-lbs, it actually generates 557 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm. That's a bunch.

2) As I understand it, the package will soon be upgraded to 350 hp. If the torque curve remains the same, that means it will be making 630 ft-lbs of torque.

3) Further rumors suggest that the engine may go to 400 hp or higher. Again, assuming the same torque curve, that means almost 720 ft-lbs of torque. (NOW we're talking!)

4) The package is commercially-rated. This means they have built in a considerable safety factor, and will stand behind it in heavy-use applications.

Unfortunately, there is no information about the drive being available with gasoline engines. Yet. Information on the drive is here.

720 ft-lbs without a transmission? Hello, Mercury?

glassdave 02-02-2004 02:37 PM

that thing looks like it could be a #6 dual prop drive :D

i have always been impresed with the DPX drives on the batboats. they build some strong drives thats for sure. i actually heard that when Merc was designing the brovo it was paterned almost directly after the old volvo280

SS930 02-02-2004 02:38 PM

Mercury has become very complacent in the marketplace... I guess when you're the only game in town, it's easy to become lazy.

That Volvo system looks interesting.

C_Spray 02-02-2004 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These things are NOT puny:
By the way, this picture is of the "H' version (on the left above), which has a shorter lower unit and (get this) nibral props. The "R" version (on the right above) features a longer, sleeker gearcase and stainless props.

C_Spray 02-02-2004 02:45 PM

Originally posted by SS930
Mercury has become very complacent in the marketplace... I guess when you're the only game in town, it's easy to become lazy...
Among independent boatbuilders (ie not owned by Brunswick) Volvo Penta sold MORE sterndrives than Mercury last year. That means that those who had a choice chose "not Mercury". Hmm...

SS930 02-02-2004 02:48 PM

Agreed, I was referring to performance drives... sorry, I should have stated that.

Volvo have always been known for their durable drives.:cool:

glassdave 02-02-2004 02:56 PM

ever seen a Volvo E drive. it was the first speedmaster style drive. Early 70's i believe and a 10 mph bolt on over the standard volvo drive of the time.

i had heard they were discontinuing the DPX, hope this is just a rumor

C_Spray 02-02-2004 03:02 PM

The DPX is indeed gone, discontinued late last year. This is the replacement. Now: If they offered the DPX with up to 600 hp / 620 ft-lbs, what do you suppose they could do with 720 ft-lbs?......:D

open87 02-02-2004 05:57 PM

WHAT KINDA $$$ WE TALKIN' ABOUT:confused:

C_Spray 02-02-2004 06:03 PM

Don't know yet. So far, the only way to get 'em is with the 310 diesels. Volvo tends to be very, very conservative, so it's hard to say when they'll be available with anything else. Stop by the Volvo Penta booth at Miami (or your local boat show) and start beating them up about it....

cuda 02-02-2004 06:49 PM

That drive sure looks sweet.

GLH 02-02-2004 06:57 PM

I respect the innovation and all, but I can give you a little idea on how much they will cost you.

If you have a boat with that in the next five years you will get KILLED on resale. This is not a barb on the product's quality just reality in the market place here in the US. Anyone has a Merc dealer within a stones throw.

Volvo's are getting more and more popular on cruisers and all but look around this forum or the classified here and look how many Apache, Fountain, Skater, Sabers and Cigarettes have Volvo's.

There are a bunch of stuff for sale with exotic drives that look great on paper and all, but when it blows up in east-bumpf&^%k USA everyone knows you'll be towed for two days.

It might be the greatest product but they are missing the things that I need. Great acceptance from the public (for resale) from the dealers (for service) and availability (for resale and service) until then I will let the more adventurous and wealthy take the hit on time lost, expense and depreciation. Sorta like diesels for an Outerlimits.

Reed Jensen 02-02-2004 07:07 PM

How many of you guys are running speedmasters? Not too many shops want to touch a speedmaster either. I found that out.. The shops are more than happy to take it off your boat and then box it for shipment to someone else... but they don't want to tackle the job themselves.

cuda 02-02-2004 07:19 PM

Try to find a marine mech to work on Twin Disc trannies.:(

GLH 02-02-2004 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
...then box it for shipment to someone else... but they don't want to tackle the job themselves.
at least they know where to ship it.

GLH 02-02-2004 07:32 PM

Originally posted by cuda
My point exactly. Anything remotely off quilter and your up a creek, a shallow creek.

cuda 02-02-2004 07:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Troutly
[B]Another butt ugly drive from the folks at Volvo! :p :p

Actually, I think they are slick looking!

I knew a guy that had a yamaha outdrive and something broke. He got some whistle dick that claimed he knew these drives to work on it. It broke again immediately. He hired another mech. When the second mech took it apart, he saw where the first mech just ground off some stuff to make it fit back together. I think he finally sold the boat at a pretty good loss because he was tired of fooling with the Yammi.:(

GLH 02-02-2004 07:45 PM

Come on cuda they look like the fans you see in those fifties movies with everyone sitting in a jury room sweating like rednecks trying to read!!!! :D

open87 02-03-2004 06:11 AM

Originally posted by cuda
WHAT ABOUT TRANSMISSION MARINE IN FT LAUDERDALE?

cuda 02-03-2004 06:28 AM

Originally posted by open72
WHAT ABOUT TRANSMISSION MARINE IN FT LAUDERDALE?
I found Twin Disc Southeast in Tampa to do the job for me, but none of the marine mechs here would do it. They would pull it out, but not work on it.

C_Spray 02-03-2004 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Troutly
....Volvo was not successful their first time out trying to break into it, they wont be a second time either....unless they can somehow break into the racing or poker run scenes with some power packages that are much LESS money than Merc to make it attractive to buy...
Volvo lacked commitment when they tried it a few years ago, so it will be interesting to see what they've learned if they try it again. They DID get their packages onto all the Scarabs at Wellcraft's high-performance boating school.

My 600 Innovation/Volvo's cost me $37,000 less than a pair of 575SCi/Brakos, so I'm pretty sure Volvo's pricing will be acceptable. Plus, in five seasons, I've had exactly ZERO drive problems and the boat is a dream to drive. I intend to keep the boat for another 5 years, so I doubt that the package will cost me $37,000 in resale. In the meantime, I've invested the money.... :)

Look at it this way - what other options do you have for 700 hp? A pair of 6's will set you back about $55,000 on a good day, and I'm sure these won't be that much.

It will be interesting to see if these work out for high-performance applications. In the meantime, Mercury continues to ignore the hole in its lineup between 575hp and 900 hp.

GLH 02-03-2004 07:03 AM

CS,
Don't take what I said in a matter to dis the quality of the product you mentioned I would love for viable alternatives to be around, It would make Merc probably lower their prices.

But to feel comfortable I need more than engineering. Serenity with availability of parts is one thing.

But the most important for me is public perception for re-sale of boats equipped that way. Sitting an extra six month on a boat when you want to move it is also very expensive, and you have to count that in the equation.

C_Spray 02-03-2004 07:32 AM

GLH - No problem. If you're moving through boats on a regular basis, you have to stick to buying what is currently mainstream hardware. It's all about "horses for courses" - buy what works for you. I don't see this drive showing up in "our neighborhood" (hi-perf applications) for a year or two, anyway.

As I worked my way up through small boats and runabouts, though, Volvo Penta made a believer out of me, so I've stuck with them and had zero regrets. I've had zero problems getting parts through Volvo's parts system, and service centers are easy to find up here on Chesapeake Bay. (Including my home marina, where it's 100' from my rack to the service bay.)

I like the looks of it - I think that it looks like a small 6. (Guess they're "ceiling fans" too... ;) ) That's really a Kiekhafer product, not mercury anyway. By the way - does anyone REALLY think that a Bravo is pretty? Or a TRS for that matter? :crazy:

GLH 02-03-2004 07:37 AM

It's pretty when you sell it attached to a boat a year after you owned it and make a profit!!!:D

Can't beat luck!!!

I think the best looking drives a #6's... Maybe one day!

glassdave 02-03-2004 07:52 AM

Originally posted by C_Spray
In the meantime, Mercury continues to ignore the hole in its lineup between 575hp and 900 hp.
thats what i hope volvo capitalizes on. i have had a few boats with volvos on them and have never had a falure either.

c-spray, just out of curiosity, what kind of performance gains do you see over a comperable merc pakage. mph? gph?

dyno 02-03-2004 08:01 AM

I'll stick with what works Team Black!! When was the last time you saw a race boat with anything but Merc drives on it???

C_Spray 02-03-2004 08:31 AM

Originally posted by dyno
I'll stick with what works Team Black!! When was the last time you saw a race boat with anything but Merc drives on it???
Dyno - ask the "old timers" about something called a 280, or look on any raceboat not being run in the US. ;) Actually, many of the raceboats in the US don't really run "Mercury" drives. The #6 was designed and built buy Kiekhafer Aeromarine, and purchased by Mercury (granted - they sell it now), and boats in classes that are not required to use Bravos to tend to use a lot of aftermarket parts/dirves from IMCO and others. Again - It's a matter of what works for you. :)

Glassdave - some loss of "ultimate top speed" since the drives run deeper, and there is some prop surface area drag. Duoprops get to be too much drag over 90 mph or so. Far (massively) better hookup around the docks and for starts (ask Troutly about his 525/ITS prop saga...), and efficient (1.0 mpg/less than 10% slip) at cruising speeds around 60 mph/3900 rpm or so. This is with a 12,000 lb/38' boat. I don't know about everyone else, but I do a lot of cruising, and only spend about 1% of my time at WOT.

Ron P 02-03-2004 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

No black on this race boat.

ChrisK 02-03-2004 09:42 AM

Originally posted by C_Spray
My 600 Innovation/Volvo's cost me $37,000 less than a pair of 575SCi/Brakos, so I'm pretty sure Volvo's pricing will be acceptable. Plus, in five seasons, I've had exactly ZERO drive problems and the boat is a dream to drive. I intend to keep the boat for another 5 years, so I doubt that the package will cost me $37,000 in resale. In the meantime, I've invested the money.... :)

A good friend of mine just sold his scarab about 6 months ago, it had the innovation 600/volvo package in it as well. We had ZERO drive problems with that boat the 3 years he owned it. It was a 33' AVS that ran 92 on GPS, and could almost all day long as well. We ran that boat hard, and it never failed. The ONLY "problems" we ever had was cracking props, and that was ONLY due to the thinning that we had done with them..

I would put the DPX drive behind ANY performace motor and not have any regrets about it.

Milord 02-03-2004 01:27 PM

I think they look sweet and welcome them to the market. We all want more choice in everything we buy, I hope they make a good run at the hipo market!

C_Spray 02-04-2004 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Troutly
Bravos....yes.....TRS......no :)
What? No comments about the "prop saga" remark? :confused:

Shane 02-05-2004 10:34 AM

I would LOVE to know what a 32 Skater with Diesels and these bad boys would do! It COULD quite possibly be the ULTIMATE turn key HP package. Keep us posted as we stay tuned!

I think if Volvo really commits themselves to the HP market the competition will be good for EVERYONE! The #6 drive for all intents and purposes is ancient technology at tomorrows prices. Unfortunately, for consumers this has lead to complacency for there was never an incentive to up the ante. Competition does that to business. See Japanese automobiles vs. american autos in the 80's and early 90's.