ACL replacement....who's had it >

ACL replacement....who's had it

Notices

ACL replacement....who's had it

Old 02-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lapse,

I am an orthopedic sales rep. i sell joints (no, not those joints!). Total hips and knees. One of my docs prefers to use the patients own Hamstring ligament as a replacement for a cadaver's. He goes in and strips (harvest) your own hamstring tendon from the front of your tibia. It's long so he doubles it up. It's not something the patient misses and your body accepts it faster than foreign tissue. Ask him about it. He will most likely use what he's familiar with (cadaver tissue) and will reject an suggestions but it works very well and is worth mentioning.

God bless. Oh! Ask for lots of Drugs, it's one of the few times you can get the good stuff!!!

Whirly
Old 02-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Registered

He told me about that way and the way to use my patella ligament. He will do it anyway I want but says this will be the fastest recovery. I need to be up as soon as possible not just for fun but I turn a wrench for a living so sitting around I don't get paid.

I asked him about my body rejecting it or infection, he said with what they do to the ligaments now it's 1 in a mill. that something will go wrong.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my ACL replaced the same exact way 2 years ago. My knee had been injured for a long time and after re-injuring it I had to go under the knife. That night waking up in the hospital bed and rolling over, I could tell right away it was the right thing to do. You just don't realize how much you start overcompensating with the other leg. The way you stand, walk, run, everything. 3-4 months you should be good, and stick with the rehab. You'll get to a point where it feels "good" and normal, but you need to get it stronger. Don't let scar tissue build up. Go find a bad-ass hunting cane too, and lie your a$$ off on how you injured. It's a win-win! Good luck on the recovery.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:59 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

yo!!!!
had ine done year abotu 7 years ago. Good as news. I played two season of lacrosse on it after the surgery. ould have gone back to football but really had no urge to play again (didn't feel like liftign and biulding up a ton of lost muscle).

I can run, hike, play sport, scuba dive, ride bikes, ride motorcycles, race cramped formula cars, ride my dirtbike. FOr some stuff i still wear my knee brace but that just cus i like the extra support it gives me, i don;t actually need to wear it anymore though.

good luck. My advice. Get movingon it again ASAP. Do the exercises they tell you to do and do all your PT. It might hurt at first but put up with the pain because the better you do your PT the better off you'll be.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Registered

Lapse,

Ask him if the bank that he uses process the ligaments sterile. There are only a handfull of banks throughout the US that are actually approved to stamp "sterile" on the tissue. They go to great lengths to insure that all the blood is taken out of the tissue itself before packaging. If possible, use a bank that has the tissue packaged in this manor. The ligament will be fresh frozen and sterile packaged. I can't remember which company we use but it's one of the few that is certified "sterile" packaged. Very few others are. I don't sell much tissue and don't remember the name off the top of my head but will be happy to make some calls for you tomorrow if you would like. You can PM me or call me with ?'s at 616-822-2262

Lance
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Registered

My wife has had the procedure done twice.

1st she tore ligament at 18 in car accident, they removed it and didn't do a replacement, they only did it for athlete's going on to bigger and better things. She went 10 years without a ligament at all, then knee locked in about a 45% angle when she jumped out of my dad's boat onto the beach, the doc then did a patella tendon graft. She shredded that one in about 4 years, make sure they clean the joint real good. She is now on her second replacement with a cadaver graft and so far it's holding but her kneecap now dislocates when ever it feels like and she has no cartilage so her knee joint is bone on bone. Along with these ligaments she has had to have 2 Scopes in between each ACL.
She is still to young for them to consider knee replacement (40yrs). I think the cadaver is the best way to go and wish that was the first that they had tried on her.
Attached Thumbnails ACL replacement....who's had it-maverick1.jpg  

Last edited by Grin&Barrett; 02-02-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Registered

Picture 2
Attached Thumbnails ACL replacement....who's had it-mavrick2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Registered

3: Passengers side of split bench seat.
Attached Thumbnails ACL replacement....who's had it-maverick3.jpg  

Last edited by Grin&Barrett; 02-02-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Registered

4:
Attached Thumbnails ACL replacement....who's had it-maverick4.jpg  
Old 02-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe you guys.... I'm still operating on all original parts.... I've broken a couple of bones.... but have never had any surgery.... I didn't know there were so many "patch ups" on OSO.... lol

Quick Reply: ACL replacement....who's had it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.