Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whats Safer at 120  -  V or Cat >

Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Notices
View Poll Results: What would you feel safer in at 120 MPH
Deep V - i.e. (Outerlimits,Cig Maximus,Fountain)
37.78%
Cat - i.e (Skater, MTI,Spectre,Nor Tech)
62.22%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Old 02-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Jammin 1

I saw a 28 cat fly and flip in Sarasota APBA 3 years ago. I also heard Chris was running over 100, the water was laid down and he hit a big wave, bounced twice and flipped. My question is with your hand on the throttle do you have time to stop it if the bow goes up?

Old 02-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im surprised that the poll is showing the numbers that its is. I really thought most people would have voted cat. This is an intresting thread. Very surprising

Reed Jensen -

The 30' HTM that Steve, Chuck, & Ken were in was traveling way faster then 80, closer to 130 - 140 when something locked up or malfuctioned. The boat also hooked and rolled achieving a fairly large amount of alltitude, but it did not kite. I live up the street from Chuck's former home and my neighbor across the street was on the lake the day of the accident. Looking at the transom of the boat, after they finally got it out of the water, I would say they lost a motor or drive. One of the engines is still at the bottom of the lake to the best of my knowledge so everyones opinions are all speculation including mine.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great point wicked one

Those canopies do make you feel a little invincible.

By the way i loved watching Dramamine race. Thanks for the memories.

Maximus

I'm surprised at the poll as well.

Someone brought up a good point abou catching air. A cat if handle properly can land smoothly after tipping a wave and avoid a stuff. V's tend to cut the air and start searching for Nemo.

What are your thoughts

Maximus
Old 02-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have been in two different 28 Daytonas that have lost engines at 90 -100 mph. I was driving mine when an engine died from a bad connection and it tracked fairly straight. I left it on plan at 50 until I got back to the idle zone near the dock (5 miles). There was no handling problems at all.

I was a rider in another 28 Daytona that blew an engine and locked up, there was not any adverse handling problems as we coasted down to an idle speed.

I would expect a major handling problem in any boat that would have a drive lock up at speed if the prop could not free spin.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Three Days Only
Im surprised that the poll is showing the numbers that its is. I really thought most people would have voted cat. This is an intresting thread. Very surprising

Reed Jensen -

The 30' HTM that Steve, Chuck, & Ken were in was traveling way faster then 80, closer to 130 - 140 when something locked up or malfuctioned. The boat also hooked and rolled achieving a fairly large amount of alltitude, but it did not kite. I live up the street from Chuck's former home and my neighbor across the street was on the lake the day of the accident. Looking at the transom of the boat, after they finally got it out of the water, I would say they lost a motor or drive. One of the engines is still at the bottom of the lake to the best of my knowledge so everyones opinions are all speculation including mine.
So... The cat was NOT a single engine.... 130 to 140 is waaaay fast for a little lake like Castaic.... Thanks for the information, TDO...
Old 02-05-2004, 06:42 AM
Registered

Suppose i'm 1 of jabo's 2 to 3 % i will say @ 100MPH i feel very confortable in my 28 ft cat.altho when i'm @ speed's of 120+ i do have thought's from time to time what 'if' and just aim it.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by Jammin 1
My question is with your hand on the throttle do you have time to stop it if the bow goes up?

No. You'd have to be out before gettting out of shape. By the time you realize you're in trouble you're just along for the ride.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Cord
No. You'd have to be out before getting out of shape. By the time you realize you're in trouble you're just along for the ride.
That is the scariest feeling known to man.... when you know your are now "just along for the ride".....
Old 02-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered

I feel like that all the time.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Registered

A bit off the track but:

In 1969, I got a ride in a P-51 Mustang, a war buddy of my father's owned it. It had been converted by Cavalier Aircraft, then located at the Sarasota/Bradenton airport. One Sunday morning in Jan. for a birthday present, he took me up. He asked me if I was up for a little excitement, stupidily and totally out of my mind I said "sure". Bad answer. He took me for a dive, at over 600 mph, under the old Sunshine Skyway bridge. I have yet to "unpucker" from that incident. I was never so scared in my life. Coolest thing I've ever done........

Quick Reply: Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.