Notices

OT- federal employees

Old 02-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Viper31
I have been a contractor for the gubmint for about 18 yrs now and I can tell you that we toss all resumes of people that have been gubmint employees for 3 or more years into the trash unless we know them. This is due to the fact that they usually have terrible work ethics and expect to take off anytime they want.

That's proably true. I've heard of the same thing from other sources. I wonder if that would be another benifit? (Not being accountable)
Old 02-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Registered

Whoa, go easy.

Being an advocate of public service doesn't mean that you are a lazy sh*t.
I can't answer for those that are on contract with the Feds or municipality, BUT typically employees that have more than five years in a position are at high pay. When you change jobs, you ideally want to make more than the job you left. This doesn't happen in civil service (normally).
As far as being accountable, I'm not sure what you mean. In terms of incentive, pay is not an option (It's scaled). Job title is not an option (Job posting, equal opportunity for all). The incentive is in assignments. Specialty and diverse. Incentives are more varied the higher you job title is. Civil service is more structured in terms of discretion of your boss, but it does exist.

Just my .02's.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Bryan-you're right. Anytime you try to stereotype something, you are making a mistake. Unfortunately, the stereotype for the government worker is to be lazy. It's probably not true, but it only takes a couple of apples to reinforce the stereotype. It's probably breed by the bureaucracy.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally posted by craig223
Working for the Federal Government is like a sore dick....You can't beat it!!!!
ROTFLMAO
Old 02-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you working for the Post Offfice I work my azz off. and I do have to pay into my retirement fund 10% of my pay. It's not civil service anymore. FERS federal employees retirement service now.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Originally posted by craig223
Working for the Federal Government is like a sore dick....You can't beat it!!!!

Another example of our wasted tax dollars
Old 02-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

My wife is a fed.

Bryanspeedracer, I think you are refering to the "old" system. The new system pretty much works like a 401K. They do put 1% in even if you don't contribute. If you don't contribute, you won't have much at retirement. Also, the feds are trying to go to a "pay for performance" type system.

The vacation is tough to beat. My wife is getting the 26 vacation days plus 13 sick days.

I have been a gov contractor for about 15 years now. I've worked on several different contracts for different companies in those years. I've always got pretty decent increases when I changed jobs. The bad is that you don't gain seniority with a company. Usually the contract changes or ends before you are fully vested. I've applied for a few gov jobs but as someone mentioned the waiting is a pain. The last one I interviewed in Sept. and they didn't make a decision until Jan.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

That wait sure must suck. Luckly, she's gainfully employed for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by Cord
Craig-It's friday and I'm kinda slow-you're gonna have to expand on that for me.

Cord,
What I meant is that working for the Gov't is great! But, it is like any other job, it is what you make of it.
Job security is very high and the pay is less than one can make in private industry (most of the time). Benefits are good. I started working for the US Senate in January of 1987 as a telephone technician after working for the phone company for a few years. After a few years, I moved into the computer LAN division installing networks. After a few more years, I moved into the NOC (Network Operations Center). Then I moved into the Network Engineering division and am now in a senior position.

Some of the people that I worked with as a phone tech are still there and that is their choice. My point is that you can climb the ladder if you have the desire!! We lost many employees during the internet boom. They left for more money and the dream of being rich. Most of them are now looking for work or have come back to the Gov't. The people who are good employees are rewarded with pay increases and promotions, but there are many who are content to do nothing and get their cost of living raises each year (the stereotypical Gov't worker).

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Craig
Cell (202) 224-5499