Like Tree0Likes

Fountain Does 156.9 MPH

Old 02-10-2004, 01:24 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally posted by dreamboater
T2X, earlier you posted that V's are going way faster than their original intended speeds and are running on the edge. At what point did Cat's cross that line or have they?
When they begin to disintegrate............

Just kidding..... and....... actually that's a great question........ I watch "Jet Set" roar around Barnegat Bay and a I cringe.......... I like Mike Fusco...and I respect his boat and driving skills....and his cajones.....but there is a definite time limit to how many minutes or hours a human being can roar around at or above 150 mph. At that speed a floating bottle, errant wind gust, or unseen roller can spell disaster...not to mention father time...... How long before the laminates in his hull give up the ghost?

To the point ..........a cat requires one of two things to gain speed......an angle of attack that creates significant lift beneath and above the hull...... or substantial power sufficient to drive over the water with minimal trim... (see Jet Set above). Either approach has a finite limit, although the second is significantly higher than the first.

The devil is in the details....... for instance Kilo Kat has gone well over 200 mph and survived. Therefore under specific conditions you can say that he did that feat "safely". However, if Johnny had over trimmed, or a prop/motor/drivetrain seized, or a sponson delaminated or a lateral wake grabbed his forward entry awkwardly..... the result would have been catastrophic.

So where then do the lines of common sense cross the lines of capability?........... probably 30 mph below where we are right now.......but , more specifically, the limits are higher for a cat than a vee....and higher for a 3 or 4 point hydro ...than a cat.

We are strictly in la la land IMHO......... and I offer my condolences in advance to the loved ones left behind....and pray that no one ever receives them.

T2x
Old 02-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boot

I think a beter way to deside would be to set a reasonable mark . Just say 100 mph for a round number . Now see who can acheive it with the largest , best outfitted boat with the smallest most reliable power !! That would be the best boat !
I Agree
Old 02-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Registered

My Boats: 26 Sutphen
Default Post #202

That must be the best response I have ever read.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
Let me see............ Should OL and Fountain:

1. Switch to Nitro?

2. Install turbines?

3. Install nitro burning turbines?

4. Build an enclosed dome on the moon over a crater filled with water......to take advantage of lower gravity while increasing weight/hp?

(Perhaps the atmosphere under the dome should be composed of a large amount of nitrous oxide.)

5. Skip all this and simply have the principals inhale nitrous oxide....?

T2x

6. Fill the cabin full of helium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know, I'm an idea guy.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dock Holiday
ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE CURRENT LAND SPEED RECORD IS?

I think all of this is awesome!

Go Fountain!

Go OuterLimits!
Current land speed record is 763 MPH... jet car.. broke the sound barrier... the "car" was essentially a jet airplane without wings.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V

Quote:
Originally posted by 10x
Sorry........Misunderstood..........I thought you meant that OL would beat Fountains new speed (whatever it may be) by 10 mph, thats just kinda the way it sounded when I read it. Nomatter what, that's still CLIPPIN. Eventhough we own a pretty quick Fountain, I think it would be great to see Mike match that speed or even top it. But I remember a few weeks ago when Reggie attended a party we had here in Chicago, I asked him if there was any truth to the talk about Fountain & OL goin at it for a top speed shootout, and if he was puttin together a boat for it. He replied that he's not puttin together a boat, he's puttin together 2. The first one will have 2600 hp and should run atleast 160, which in his opinion will be enough to top the current record. But the 2nd one will have BIG hp cause he knows Mike's gonna come back with bigger guns and he will be ready when the time comes. He claimed that they're lookin for 175, and he's sure of at least 170 with the 2nd boat. I kinda thought he was just kinda braggin a little for our COPS party. Guess he was'nt!!! It will be interesting to see how fast the 2nd boat runs, but I don't think that speed will be anounced till after Mike tops the 1st boat. Just hope that everyone comes back alive and well.
No I put the bet out there on the first day Reggie was doing his runs and the first times were in. I was using a somewhat educated guess from how much Fountain went from his last speed to this one,for how much OL would improve. I don't doubt either one will have a problem hitting 170 or so but I think it will take a while. The prop guys are going have to catch up to the new light hulls and bigger hp motor.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:58 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
The prop guys are going have to catch up to the new light hulls and bigger hp motor.
Actually...since the "prop guys" have been able to carry the cats over 200......that dog won't hunt.

T2x
Old 02-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's

T2X is right about the Fiore's purchase of an autoclave (must be a HUGE one...) being the big news here. There is simply no comparison whatsoever between a proper pre-preg structure and any wet layup structure, even if it was vacuum-bagged.

Unless you've been involved in aerospace or top-line race car construction, you won't believe what comes out of "the ol' oven". Of course, the bills/price tag will be commensurate with the strength/weight ratio....

...and I think that a better speed contest would come from who can cram the most amenties into a 38 vee with a pair of certified stock 496HO's and still run 80 mph. That would impress me.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: 42 GTX OL

525's in pete's boat 101?????????
Old 02-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Spray
T2X is right about the Fiore's purchase of an autoclave (must be a HUGE one...) being the big news here. There is simply no comparison whatsoever between a proper pre-preg structure and any wet layup structure, even if it was vacuum-bagged.

Unless you've been involved in aerospace or top-line race car construction, you won't believe what comes out of "the ol' oven". Of course, the bills/price tag will be commensurate with the strength/weight ratio....

...and I think that a better speed contest would come from who can cram the most amenties into a 38 vee with a pair of certified stock 496HO's and still run 80 mph. That would impress me.
Absolutely right, Chuck! There is no comparison. The boating industry is still decades behind.