Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   trailers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71190-trailers.html)

2112 02-07-2004 12:48 PM

trailers

Need to get a new trailer. Currently have a painted steel Myco which I have not dunked (yet). The new trailer is for a new boat.

If I understand the Myco website correctly, they warrant their steel trailers better than their aluminum trailers when it comes to corrosion.

I do need to dunk this trailer, I love the steel trailers with the reinforcing bridgework but I need to dunk this in Puget Sound (less salty than Atlantic) and do not want a trailer that needs replacement in 5 years.

Your opinions please?

Also, welded vs. bolted aluminum?

LapseofReason 02-07-2004 01:07 PM

IMHO it's not the trailer frame that get's fed up the most it's all the axles and brakes and stuff. Most high end trailer makers will put a flush kit on so you can get all the salt out of the hard to reach places.

Yes a alum. trailer wont rust but if you don't take care of either one it's going to need a lot of work in 5 years. I think Myco and Extreme build alum trailers that look close to their steel ones.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 01:17 PM

You can go with a steel galvanized trailer... that eliminates a lot of the corrosion on the trailer frame and fenders.... but like Lapse says... it isn't the frame that requires all the work... it's the running gear... you'll need bearing buddies and a flush kit that gets the salt off the brakes.... Wash down the trailer everytime it's dunked and you won't have as much trouble. Good luck.

2112 02-07-2004 01:18 PM

Hust be optional on the flush, My current Myco doesn't have one.

what you say makes sense.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 01:24 PM

It's important that you have a flush kit on a trailer with drum brakes... no so much with disc.... the flush kit is just garden equipment installed with a small sprinkler head mounted inside the drum backing plate to flush the salt out. But the salt always manages to f-- up everything... springs... spring perches.... bake lines and wiring... just comes with the territory... It's not bad if you keep up with it... but let it go and you are courting a disaster.

Hot Duck 02-09-2004 01:03 AM

If you are going with aluminum, I would certainly go with welded instead of bolted together. On Thursday, Bill @ Myco told me that they can paint an aluminum trailer. Maybe he misunderstood me, but I'll swear that he said that they could paint one. That would be the best of both worlds. The looks of a painted steel trailer with the corrosion resistance of aluminum. Now consider that Myco uses stainless brake lines, disc brakes, LED lighting, torsion springs and then add the optional sealed oil bath axles. One of these trailers would be relatively easy to take care of. Just an idea.

Myco Trailers

US1 Fountain 02-09-2004 01:10 AM

Why not paint aluminum? Mercury has been painting their outdrives for yrs. ;)

stecz20 02-09-2004 01:58 AM

i have an 89 myco. if you take care of it, it will last you a very long time. mine is in great shape and dont plan on needing another for some time. anything that gets dunked will need maintenance. myco or manning are among your top two in my book. if you take care of your myco you should not have a problem. my .02........

SS930 02-09-2004 09:23 AM

If I were buying a new trailer steel would not even be considered. You cant go wrong with aluminum, it's much lighter and why buy something that WILL rot??? The only other "must" would be disc brakes and SS lines.

Although painted aluminum would look trick, I think it would be a mistake in the long run.

Havasu Cig 02-09-2004 10:06 AM

We have a 2003 aluminum Myco and I would not go back to steel for a salt water trailer. After I pull it out of the water I wash down the brakes, calipers ect... to keep them from rusting. So far it has been a great trailer.

I have seen some painted Mycos that have been used in salt as well for years, and they seem to be holding up pretty well also.

I would still take aluminum over steel, but if you take care of it the steel should last fairly well.