Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Performance is dead in Michigan >

Performance is dead in Michigan

Notices

Performance is dead in Michigan

Old 02-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think MI is bad, try MN. Land of 10,000 Lakes and we have 2 dealers that carry inventory of performance boats (Baja & Fountain).

The MLPS Boat Show this year brought in 2 performance dealers with nothing over 32'. Advantage showed up with a 32' asking over $225k. Baja dealer had only 25' and smaller.

This market is awful in these parts.
But I've said it before, the boat mfg's are pricing themselves out of the average households income bracket. It's becoming more evident that the performance market will be a used boat market except for the wealthy in the near future.

As it is now, most households can realistically afford less than $300/mo. on a boat payment. That doesn't buy much!
Considering the time spent using the investment, that doesn't sit well in a state where you can only use it a good 5 Months a year. I know a lot of people that just won't commit to such an investment when money spends like water in todays world.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Registered

As someone said, the Cobo show historically has not had performace boats. Many inland lake and entry level boats, pontoon, etc. Thats what you expect when you go there. Sunsation boats really looked good, and they had a zillon people around them. A couple huge Nortechs, a couple Baja's, Powerquests, Nordics. Its something to do on a cold winter day.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LPA2106, had a buddy who has a 353 fastech stop in to that Formula dealer 3-4 weeks ago to get a fiberglass fix and ask to see some fastechs and the sales person??? said that people don't buy those boats much any more and just fluffed him off. Did not ask my buddy what kind of boat he had or anything. I believe he tried to turn him to some other boat also. What kind of sales or TUDE is that? People spending tons of money on Big Toys and have to deal with crap like that!
Wrink
Old 02-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Registered

All the performance dealers at the Detroit show said the same thing when I asked them about the performance market,it is a tough segment because it's only about three percent of the sales in the boating industry.I guess when I look at it that way I can understand why there isn't a bunch of go fast boats at these shows,plus there are a lot of go fast manufacturers out on the west coast that don't have a big dealer network in the midwest,most of the regional builders did have some product at Cobo,I sure did like the Nor-Techs Boatme had there,they extracted a little drool out of me!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered

Too Old,

You forgot Sterling and Baker Engineering are both in Michigan. Maybe not boat builders, but builders of serious power!!

Vern