Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Performance is dead in Michigan >

Performance is dead in Michigan

Notices

Performance is dead in Michigan

Old 02-07-2004, 08:46 PM
LPA2106

Default Performance is dead in Michigan

No Cig dealers...no Fountain Dealers...the Formula dealer tried to talk me into some cruiser hybrid when I asked about a fastech....we had tons of performance dealers 5-10 years back...now the Detroit Boat Show is like wall to wall Sea rays....which is fine buttt.....

....I have heard some docs I know complain that the days of getting into a performance boat is touchy even for their profession....so have performance boats overpriced themselves out of existance except in niche' markets...is it now a "sport of kings" or what?

We need more boats that are solid and reasonably priced...I was surprised to see the great reviews on the Pantera 28' for about 100K....the 35' Executioner at 150K is a good deal...I am sure there are more....but man when I hit the lotto you guys on the board sold me on a 42" Cig...I can't believe how much you guys love them there resin buckets...who would know in Michigan with no performance dealers left...and more fresh water than any state in the union....guess performance boats are a difficult item to keep on the floor when the economy bottoms out....and the market bottoms out...but the wierd thing is that the local Ferrari dealer can't get enough...W. Bloomfield ranks up there with Beverly Hills...so we have the money mongers...what gives with no performance dealers?? I am really shocked about this situation and a marketing analyst told me that bad resale and trade-ins killed the industry...but it seems stronger in pockets....

Old 02-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Fightclub

Default Re: Performance is dead in Michigan

Originally posted by LPA2106
No Cig dealers...no Fountain Dealers...the Formula dealer tried to talk me into some cruiser hybrid when I asked about a fastech....we had tons of performance dealers 5-10 years back...now the Detroit Boat Show is like wall to wall Sea rays....which is fine buttt.....

....I have heard some docs I know complain that the days of getting into a performance boat is touchy even for their profession....so have performance boats overpriced themselves out of existance except in niche' markets...is it now a "sport of kings" or what?

We need more boats that are solid and reasonably priced...I was surprised to see the great reviews on the Pantera 28' for about 100K....the 35' Executioner at 150K is a good deal...I am sure there are more....but man when I hit the lotto you guys on the board sold me on a 42" Cig...I can't believe how much you guys love them there resin buckets...who would know in Michigan with no performance dealers left...and more fresh water than any state in the union....guess performance boats are a difficult item to keep on the floor when the economy bottoms out....and the market bottoms out...but the wierd thing is that the local Ferrari dealer can't get enough...W. Bloomfield ranks up there with Beverly Hills...so we have the money mongers...what gives with no performance dealers?? I am really shocked about this situation and a marketing analyst told me that bad resale and trade-ins killed the industry...but it seems stronger in pockets....

I concur!!!!!

I went to the show today and it SUCKED...

I have been been Boozing it up all day and will post my .02 later...

Michigan is in need of a HP dealer and I may do it myself...

As for the boats it's time some one built a HP boat for 100K that is worth it cost.

Brad
Attached Images  

Old 02-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Ranman

Hey, compared to the last couple of years, the Detroit Boat Show had some power. Several Nordics, two kick azz Nor-Techs, Sunsation and Formula. It wasn't much, but a lot more than previous years.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over pricing and High insurance rates are going to hurt the business everywhere.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobo since i remember has always been a pontoon/ cruiser show with a few go-fast setups. Its always entertaining during the winter to look at boats, no matter what they are.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Registered

Those in W Bloomfield drive BMWs and escalades, not so much a load, fast gas sucking boat. Thats good, they can have their toy cars and slow blow boats, I want HP. With fuel, insurance and power being so expensive there is no wonder there is no market. Look at some of the guys who started with mach 1 mod 0 boats and they have all moved up to the high dollar, huge power designs. Those economy boats with good power are just not profitable, and the mfg are selling out on us. I will always be a HP boater and there is no amount of legislation that will stop that.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Registered

If you don't mind an older boat, and you have patience to shop around, you can certainly get into the high performance game for way less than 100K. No you won't be the fastest or have the latest graphics. So what????? You'll still have a boat that does anywhere from 65 to 75 mph, you can still do poker runs, it sounds good, and it beats the hell out of a brand new Sea Ray. Sure, I'd love to have a new Top Gun or Tiger, but unless I hit the lottery that's probably not gonna happen. However, I have just as much fun on my little 311 SR1 as anyone else has one their "whatever" boat. (well maybe not quite as much fun as Bob Russell) but real damn close.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have most of my fun when I'm tied up hangin out with other boaters anyway
Old 02-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Besides, I was alongside a new 35 Fountain last time out and I swear my 89' 311 was longer....
Old 02-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Registered

also isn't ocean express in michigan also?

Best thing about michigan... I live here

Quick Reply: Performance is dead in Michigan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.