Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!) >

New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!)

Notices

New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!)

Old 02-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard they are prop protectors. People say it will run faster with them off, but as much swimming as we do around the boat, I'll leave them on.
Attached Thumbnails New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!)-kdrive.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Careful guys...

Oars and paddles are surface drives. That means you need to add Ogg the Caveman to your mfr list.

and

Paddlewheels are definitely surface drives.
so
Fulton makes the list, too.

Any early 3-point hydro makes a good case for a surfacing application.

Outboard race boats running extremely high X's are surfacing propulsion.

Back when I dragged outboards, there was a triple engined Evinrude monster cat with the skegs cut off the motors, extra short midsections, and the steering locked on center - used a single knife edged rudder to steer. Definitely a surfacing application.

I suppose we are limiting the discussion to stuff that looks like a prop hung waay out back on a shaft ??

If so, we still have to include those Chinese rice paddy boats with the 10 foot propshaft on a tiller...

What are the rules, guys ??
Old 02-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mcollinstn
What are the rules, guys ??
How about limiting it to I/O applications designed to partially surface a conventional (round ear or cleaver) propeller. If Ogg had one of these, his inclusion is welcome.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

Ok, how about we limit the discussion to engines that would normally be mated to a conventional outdrive.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by cuda
Ok, how about we limit the discussion to engines that would normally be mated to a conventional outdrive.
Not good. We are discussing a type of drive frequently used in association with turbines. Enough ground rules and legalities. Let's talk about surface drives.

Anyone... Anyone... Bueller... Bueller...
Old 02-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roflmao... Og the caveman.... Where is Bulldog?... he knows the history of Og....
Old 02-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are surface drives more eficient? What makes them so? I understand that the prop is partialy running out of the water. Why doesn't that simply make it cavitate? Is it because of no gearcase in the water ahead of the prop? When I talked to a builder of a custom offshore wave crushing V hull, he said he didn't think a surface drive would carry the bow enough to make the boat run right. Why would that be?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Surface this

Someone Call Caveman?

Got Eggbeaters?
Attached Thumbnails New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!)-dscn0182.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered

Is that your boat Caveman? Beautiful set-up. By far the best drive combo to get. No more blown up outdrives with this and more power.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Payton
Why are surface drives more eficient? What makes them so? I understand that the prop is partialy running out of the water. Why doesn't that simply make it cavitate? Is it because of no gearcase in the water ahead of the prop? When I talked to a builder of a custom offshore wave crushing V hull, he said he didn't think a surface drive would carry the bow enough to make the boat run right. Why would that be?
You hit on one of the reasons right there. SPD's have less hardware dragging in the water. Another reason is they don't have to change the direction of the power................twice.

Quick Reply: New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.