Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Top Speed -160mph V's (Winter runs) 190MPH cats (summer runs) >

Top Speed -160mph V's (Winter runs) 190MPH cats (summer runs)

Notices

Top Speed -160mph V's (Winter runs) 190MPH cats (summer runs)

Old 02-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top Speed -160mph V's (Winter runs) 190MPH cats (summer runs)

Ok just to keep thiings in perspective so you V guys don't get toooo far ahead of yourselves.

These winter runs are a big advantage for these boats and I believe have allowed them to reach these numbers with said power. Both are to be congratulated and revered for pushing these limits.

However,

If Kilokat got "the bad boy" out and ran in 34 degree weather you would probably see some astounding #'s

Engines running at peak HP also the tunnel loves that cold dense air ...packs it in.

So what type of #'s do you think the "Big Fast Cats" could post?

we had a 36 spectre w/ stock merc 575's run 131mph in 38 degree weather....crazy cold

Maximus
Old 02-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Doubt cat's are faster! I just think these 2 whiney cry baby simple simons should put up and shut up! go NHRA style side by side with plenty of distance between them and take a few passes.

Then have a Cat blast by both of them!
Old 02-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old technology- piston engines with superchargers; a whole bunch of parts trying to beat their way out of a engine that's so high strung it would be very lucky to last 25 hours.
Everything performs better in cold, dense air, including aircraft.

In speed wars, it's an easy given fact.
If you bring your cat and you're burnin' Jet-A, you can dance...........
Old 02-11-2004, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maximus

We all know Cats are faster, thats like comparing a Bike to a car, or prop to a jet

WILL
Old 02-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Im not sure how ths applies to boats but on land speed record attempts, hot air is good. The thin hot air is more of an advantage than than the horsepower you lose due to the heat. This obviously is the case where aerodynamics are the barrier and power is not. Recently, the street legal motorcycle speed record was set aboard a Suzuki Hayabusa making around 500hp at the wheel. The bike literally hit a wall where more power only resulted in wheel spin. The aerodymics of a boat at or near 160mph will play a huge role in its top speed.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about bikes, but like Maximus said cold air is better for boats.

My cat would run 10 mph faster in havasu in the winter with temps in the 60's versus the summer with temps at 120+.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Mr. Demeanor

A discussion of how temp effects prop slip, lift, drag etc. could be the one useful thing to come from all this. I wonder if it effects v's as well as it effects cats? And while Im at it, is it effects or affects ????

Old 02-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I can see where the cat would do better. The colder air gives you more power and more lift in a boat that I am guessing is more aerodynamic than a V. The V would make more power but not get the gain in lift and have more aeorodymanic drag. Not sure how the denser water would change things. Im not a rocket scientist, but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default crack me up

motel 6 ...lmao

Seriously this isn't so much about who is faster but how much faster the cold temps give the boat.

3mph..10mph

mr. D "A discussion of how temp effects prop slip, lift, drag etc. could be the one useful thing to come from all this. I wonder if it effects v's as well as it effects cats? And while Im at it, is it effects or affects "

Does anyone know the answers to these questions.. Prop slip in cold water/air...extra lift

Cap ....great idea!!

Very interested in a response

Maximus
Old 02-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maximus,

How fast do you run in the summer? I have a 36' Spectre with 675 KEs and Sportmasters. I only run 130MPH in the summer. Haven't tried it yet in the winter.

Quick Reply: Top Speed -160mph V's (Winter runs) 190MPH cats (summer runs)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.