1985 Chris Craft-Cat For Sale >

1985 Chris Craft-Cat For Sale

Notices

1985 Chris Craft-Cat For Sale

Old 02-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Flashback
The drives are way short for #2's. They look like #4's to me.
With #4s thas has to increase the value. Kinda wish I had time for another project. Be a fun day boat.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by impulsive
Thats funny. I was down at ocean performance last weekend and they have one sitting way out in back which needs restoration. Thats the first time I had ever seen one before.
It's strange you mention Ocean Performance. I live near them but I had never been in their showroom before last Sat. Every other time I had stopped by they had been closed (off hours, not that I expected them to be open). I had some time last Saturday while I was waiting for an auto emissions appointment so I decided to check out OP since I knew they would be open. I just wanted to see what brands they carried other than Cig and buy a couple of Cig shirts for a fellow offshore enthusiast's birthday. Now keep in mind I had just gotten out of the gym so I wasn't dressed up and and car I was driving was nothing fancy (2000 Jetta, our spare car that I was taking to the garage for the appointment). I pulled into OP at the same time as this other couple driving a black (just washed) Hummer H2 with NY plates. This other couple was dressed to impress and had on their matching sunglasses... you get the picture. I walked straight into the showroom while they looked at the candy in the front lot for a few minutes. There were three employees behind the desk and none of them moved for the first couple off minutes, didn't even make eye contact with me even though I was the only customer in the showroom. After about five minutes the NY couple came into the showroom and within thirty seconds one of the guys behind the counter makes a bee-line over to them. I walked around that little showroom for another five minutes and not once did the other employees acknowledge my presence. I then walked the outside lot for another five to ten minutes and then briefly went back inside to see if anything had changed. Same deal. Needless to say I didn't buy any of the Cig apparel that had originaly intended to buy. I've got to tell you I was not impressed with the level of customer assistance since they obviously had me profiled as trash off the street.

Let me know if you ever need anything from Ocean Performance, I'll happily take care of it for you since I'm in the area... but I don't know that I'll ever do business with them after my experience last weekend.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Maxon Cat's were made by Tim Ciasulli in N.J. , orinally made with Injected motor's. A guy down in Penn. had one for 13,000.00 a year ago. Naturally with no motor's or drive's. I heard only 4 were built , a pretty rare boat if it is actually a Maxon. Boat was 30ft. with a 8' 7" beam, I've got an old advertisement the guy sent to me when he was interested in my old Scarab.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Registered

I have heard that about Ocean Performance from other people. However, I must say that I was treated better than that when i visited. Like yourself I was in running pants, sneakers, sweatshirt and hat, as was the two other guys I was with. Our car was a 99 explorer which is not very flattering. We walked the lot for a while then went inside. There were two guys behind the counter and nobody else in the room. It took less than a minute i'd say and they asked if they could help me. I told them I wanted to look at a bullet they had for sale. One of the guys introduced himself then took us out back into the shop to get a ladder. They were rigging a top gun and an older cig race boat. I was like a little kid in a candy store and they let me get up and look inside knowing that i could not afford either. We asked questions about the rigging that was going on and they answered them without hesitation. Then we went out back and he showed me the bullet and again answered all my questions. They had a cafe and a gun also for sale which he showed me next. This was after i told him my price range and these two boats were way over that. We walked around the lot for a while asking questions and opinions on boats that none of us could come close to affording. I think at this point he knew this but he still talked to us like we could. My buddy was asking him questions on the fountain fish boats and the contenders that were there because he is in the market for a center console. His price range is 30-40 and these boats were over 300k. Again, he answered his questions and talked about his experience with them. Personally, I was very impressed with the salesman taking time with, basically 3 tire kickers out on a saturday looking at boats. I too wanted to buy a cig shirt but they were all in boxes from the miami show. The lady who worked there said no problem and opened a couple of boxes till I found the one I wanted. I said don't worry about it I don't want you to have to do that. She said , no problem wii find what you want. I'd have to say overall it was a good experience with the only problem being I can't afford anything they have.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take a closer look at those pics...some show a swim platform and a trailer with drive guard...
Old 02-23-2004, 11:32 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From lookin at the prop shaft height those are definatly #4's, could be 5's but from the age of the boat, I dout it unless someone upgraded them.

SS930: I can relate to how you feel. I myself, am not a fancy, GQ kinda dresser. Doing farming and running heavy equiptment, I'm usually wearin a pr of jeans and a T-shirt (a V neck t shirt and only a V neck) Never the less, anywhere I go, thats usually how I dress cause it seems like nomatter where I end up there's always a friend of mine who'll need a hand with his engine, drive, boat, or race car, and I will ALWAYS be there to help out. So for me, it don't pay to wear fancy clothes unless the wife a I are goin somwhere appropiate.

I went through the same treatment when we were lookin to buy our boat. The people at the boat dealers and yards did'nt want to give me the time of day, and only answered me when I asked them a question. Don't need those kind of places that favor those that look and dress like a million bucks and drive all them high $$$ vehicles. Odds are that MOST of the time all that stuff is loaned to the max. They don't even own it, their BANK DOES.

I may not have a 04 7 or $800K boat, and eventho my 33 Fountain only ran 117, it's PAID FOR in CASH, along with all our other toys. No debts, no loans, no PAYMENTS!!! (no WORRIES)
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Registered

You guys are right, looked like the inside transom assembly was definitely from a IV or V (even with the little pics).

sutphen30
I used to run a 31' Chris Cat, 525SCs, SSM IIIs, on LOTO. Would run right at 100mph, great in the chop when it started packing air at just over 70mph.
Gary
Old 02-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Registered

Funny you should ask, I wnt from 98 mph with the 525SCs (5psi pulley) to about 103 with a 7 psi pulley. That's supposed to give around 575hp.
Great rough water boat once it gets on top. Flies VERY flat too when they're launched.
Gary