Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ghost Rider to Race in Miami - NY 2004 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71727-ghost-rider-race-miami-ny-2004-a.html)

Ron P 02-13-2004 04:25 PM

Ghost Rider to Race in Miami - NY 2004

1 Attachment(s)
I can't believe I never heard of this boat before. The boat has been wrapped up for the last 20+ years since it last raced. Now the wraps are comming off and new engines installed.

This will be on hell of an event. See http://www.miami-newyork2004.com/ for all the details.
=====================================

GHOST RIDER 40 Year Old Champion Offshore Powerboat Returns to Race in Miami-New York 2004

Owners Capt. Barry F. Cohen and Cmdr. Alen Sands York will debut again the Champion GHOST RIDER to race in the Miami-New York 2004 Race in honor of Jim Wynne. These racing legends (GHOST RIDER and Jim Wynne) of a bygone era boast a unique pedigree, the Overall Winner and Undefeated World Championship Title in 1966, and Wynne Marine has been acclaimed as one of the most influential independent design houses in the boating world.

The GHOST RIDER was:
’66 Overall winner of London Daily Express Cowes-Torquay Race
’66 Overall winner of Miami to Nassau Race
‘66 Overall winner of Miami to Key West Race
’66 Overall winner of St. Petersburg Hurricane Classic 200 Race
Her last appearance was at the 1981 Americas Cup Races at Newport, as a host/committee vessel.

The GHOST RIDER is the original one-off custom built ocean racing powerboat designed by the famous design team of Jim Wynne and Waltman Walters and the genesis of their later Formula, Donzi and Cigarette designs. In fact, GHOST RIDER is the only and last surviving wood offshore racing cruiser they built... and she can still get up and fly! The ocean hasn’t changed … neither has the GHOST RIDER.

The GHOST RIDER raced undefeated in the United States and Europe dominating APBA (American Power Boat Association) and UIM (Union Internationale Motonautique) offshore racing in 1966.

The GHOST RIDER was built in 1964/1965 by Souter, Isle of Wight, U.K. and has been preserved in original form since its overall World Championship season.

The GHOST RIDER was designed for rough water racing with a heavy extreme deep-vee wooden hull powered with twin 750 HP turbocharged Daytona inboard engines transmitting 1500 HP through super-sized vee-drives keep the propellers under the boat to enhance rough water leaping and cruising capabilities in open seas. The GHOST RIDER had dominated stern drive boats in open rough water conditions.

The GHOST RIDER will be outfitted and race prepped with technical advancements to challenge today’s modern racing machines on the open ocean.

The GHOST RIDER will be crewed by veteran offshore racing championship winners with more than 40 years of offshore racing competition and ocean crossing experience. Capt. Barry Cohen was Winner of Bahamas 500 Race, Winner Around Long Island Marathon, Winner Atlantic City Offshore Race, raced in St. Petersburg Hurricane Classic, Miami Nassau, Lucaya Palm Beach Marathon, Miam Key West, Benihana Grand Prix, Hennessy Grand Prix, Miami Orange Bowl 9 Hour Enduro, Lake Havasu 500 Mile Marathon, Lake Winnebago 9 Hour Marathon, Albany New York Marathon and has skippered the Switzercraft Flying Wings, Molanari Tunnel Hulls, Donzi Prototype 24 Ocean Series, Magnum 35 Offshore Racecraft, Donzi 27 Series Offshore, 25 Series Norweigan Offshore Racing Cruiser.

NJgr8ful 02-13-2004 04:38 PM

Hey Ron,
Very cool news! Did I miss the length of Ghost Rider hull? It looks it could be <30'? Wood hull! This race looks like its stirring the emotions and getting the blood pumping on a lot of people! Ole timers and everyone getting excited. I'm scheduling vacation around the AC leg. Thanks for your input and effort and keep the info coming. :) :cool:

Ron P 02-13-2004 05:02 PM

yup, she's only 27'. I had diner with Barry Cohen the other night in Miami. He's 64 and ready for one more adventure. He might even have Rocky Aoki as a riding crew member.

SS930 02-13-2004 05:06 PM

Awesome!!!
Now that would be a story if they won! More power to them. Hope I'm still looking to do something like that at 64.:cool:

Good luck guys.;)

Audiofn 02-13-2004 05:09 PM

Cool old stuff. Just goes to show that those old guys are some tough mother f-ers. Most guys I would asumer are going to fun 40 plus footers and hear these guys are going to attempt it in a 27 footer!!!! Good luck you guys.

Jon

Comanche3Six 02-13-2004 06:06 PM

Cool guys, especially considering the age of the men and machine.
Good Luck!

lucy 02-13-2004 06:17 PM

cool news Ron!!THE BARCONE GHOST.

Tricky919 02-13-2004 07:05 PM

That will be a cool thing................

Ron P 02-13-2004 10:42 PM

Lucy, we are still waiting for you and Mark to enter.

NJgr8ful 02-14-2004 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Ron P
yup, she's only 27'. I had diner with Barry Cohen the other night in Miami. He's 64 and ready for one more adventure. He might even have Rocky Aoki as a riding crew member.
Bennihana Rocky Aoki!! Cool brings back great memories of King's Grant in PP, NJ and the '70s offshore races. A friend ran the race ((the Brass Monkey (?) in like '73 or '74)) in a 16' Avenger hull!! :eek: :eek: Basically a flat piece of fiberglass with a 150HP OB. ===> Monster OB power then <==== :) First 100yds he bounced so high he pulled the kill switch and stalled the boat. Think he actually finished though :cool:

I'd love to see Rocky and Ghost Rider back in action. :)