Notices

Russ Wicks

Old 02-14-2004, 01:42 PM
LPA2106

Default Russ Wicks

Russ has the world's record for a prop driven boat at 221mph...Unlimited hydroplane..Lycoming Turbine 3000 hp and a 7,000 pound boat....

Most hydros are now in that 200mph range top speed and do laps averaging 170-180 mph or so...last year on the Detroit river a gas engine won...amazing? Nope///all it was were some bottom design changes...always room to improve...so it proves that bottom design perfection with a gas engine can beat a less efficient bottom design with a turbine...even though the gas engine is like 3x heavier....

We know that a "cat" can get up there too because it takes "air" under the hull to get to those speeds...

...and v-bottoms are no different... steps aeriate the undersurface and speeds go up...but still my point is that Fiore and Reggie at 160mph aint that far off from what a Lycoming Turbine hydro can do....scarry or what?

..and the v-bottoms.. looking at Reggie's run and how smooth that thing ran... like on rails are safer...insurance companies know that and we do too...

...so the focus of manufacturers of v-bottoms should be along the lines that Fiore and Reggie have been focused on and that's getting the bottom up off the water and getting air under there...remember bottom design...bottom design...bottom design....those are the 3 most important things ...and the list goes like this I think in v-bottom design....it's Outerlimits/Fountain/Cigarette (Strictly when it comes to bottom efficiency) Really...don't you Cig guys wish that your boat had a better bottom now? Well it can..it's called research and development...and not in the t-shirt sales dept. either...I want to see all three being more equal...so we have a choice of 3 equal bottoms to choose from depending on tastes....so time to hike it up Cigarette....we all want a better bottom...so go out and out do Fiore'! Donald trump would fire you if you bought a boat based on looks and lifestyle..it's a cruel hard world...but...

...Formula's bottom is way off guys...gotta fix it..I was gonna buy one but after studying this whole thing it's obvious that the bottom design is not up there...that's more wear and tear on the engines...need for more HP and loss of Hp and I can't live with that....

...that's my new top three pick...if I am not precisely right I am very close....but in the above order...

.....with some work all 3 can be perfections!

Old 02-14-2004, 02:50 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Russ Wicks

Originally posted by LPA2106
Russ has the world's record for a prop driven boat at 221mph...Unlimited hydroplane..Lycoming Turbine 3000 hp and a 7,000 pound boat....

Most hydros are now in that 200mph range top speed and do laps averaging 170-180 mph or so...last year on the Detroit river a gas engine won...amazing?
=======

Mitch Evans (U-3) also won 2 other Unlimited hydro races last year with his 12 cylinder Allison Piston Powered U-3. The Budweiser team helped with the U-3 updates which had undergone extensive changes from previous years.

If you want to get into the finite discussion on the bottom -prop-sponson configurations with the hydros, I suggest you chat with the Bud people (U-1)UH World champions again and the Coopers (U-3)..
Attached Thumbnails Russ Wicks-saturday-2a-055.jpg  
Old 02-14-2004, 04:40 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Unless it has been bumped, the official two-way average propeller kilo speed record held by Russ Wicks is 205.494 mph. Prior to him setting this mark in 2000, it was 200.419 mph which stood for 38 years.

Last edited by KiloKat; 02-14-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:19 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

The 205 number is the correct one..
Old 02-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Russ Wicks

Originally posted by LPA2106

Most hydros are now in that 200mph range top speed and do laps averaging 170-180 mph or so...last year on the Detroit river a gas engine won...amazing? Nope///all it was were some bottom design changes...always room to improve...so it proves that bottom design perfection with a gas engine can beat a less efficient bottom design with a turbine...even though the gas engine is like 3x heavier....

We know that a "cat" can get up there too because it takes "air" under the hull to get to those speeds...

...and v-bottoms are no different... steps aeriate the undersurface and speeds go up...but still my point is that Fiore and Reggie at 160mph aint that far off from what a Lycoming Turbine hydro can do....scarry or what?

..and the v-bottoms.. looking at Reggie's run and how smooth that thing ran... like on rails are safer...insurance companies know that and we do too...

...so the focus of manufacturers of v-bottoms should be along the lines that Fiore and Reggie have been focused on and that's getting the bottom up off the water and getting air under there...remember bottom design...bottom design...bottom design....those are the 3 most important things ...and the list goes like this I think in v-bottom design....it's Outerlimits/Fountain/Cigarette (Strictly when it comes to bottom efficiency) Really...don't you Cig guys wish that your boat had a better bottom now? Well it can..it's called research and development...and not in the t-shirt sales dept. either...I want to see all three being more equal...so we have a choice of 3 equal bottoms to choose from depending on tastes....so time to hike it up Cigarette....we all want a better bottom...so go out and out do Fiore'! Donald trump would fire you if you bought a boat based on looks and lifestyle..it's a cruel hard world...but...

...Formula's bottom is way off guys...gotta fix it..I was gonna buy one but after studying this whole thing it's obvious that the bottom design is not up there...that's more wear and tear on the engines...need for more HP and loss of Hp and I can't live with that....

...that's my new top three pick...if I am not precisely right I am very close....but in the above order...

.....with some work all 3 can be perfections!
what about drag boat records they are much faster then 221 and it is in a 1/4 mile