Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show... >

Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Notices

Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Old 02-18-2004, 08:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Talking

Was there a boat show down there last weekend?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:46 AM
GeoGraphics INC

We sand and buff everything we do, because thats the finish we are looking for, each of the MTI's at the show were painted in 3 weeks or less and except for Pair-a-Dice were rigged when we got them, and you would not want to see an OL white,they are completely painted to stop them waving at you, I know I painted one.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't confuse the quality of the paint with the quality of the boat. Some of the build schedules I heard for the show boats were unreal, with boats being little more than rolls of fiberglass and drums of resin less than two weeks before the show!

Being a Formula owner, I have a soft spot for their fit/finish. Cigarette's display setup had a lot to do with their wow factor, but I will say I was very impressed with their engine compartment detailing.

Still, the boats that blew me away in every single aspect (and got better the more I looked) were the MTI's. GeoGraphics did their paint (which I liked), so I did not judge them on the paint. MTI just seems always be forward-looking, with the emphasis on style while still hitting the important things like wiring and rigging right on the mark. I spoke with Gary Stray of SuperCat Rigging, and was very impressed by his knowledge, attention to detail, and mindset. The Yanmar/Arneson boat was brilliant - cruise at 80-85 all day long, 2 mpg with a 2,000 hour warranty/10,000 hour rebuild schedule. Perfect! MTI was outside under a tent, so their display wasn't very flashy, but then I think MTI is all about the steak, not about the sizzle.....

Plus - Randy Scism's a very friendly guy.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 39 OL will be going back to the factory to get finished. That paint job was not the finished product.

I walked the show, and found all manufacturers had some degree of paint and / or gelcoat flaws. Let's be realistic, there is a ton of surface area to cover with paint, most manufacturers don't use paint booths either.

All OL's get sanded and buffed prior to delivery.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a beating a few weeks ago, when I spoke about the poor quality of o.l. too..

Glad to see there are a " few " who agree...

IMO, The cigs. blew them away.. I was never a cig. fan, but they are building some great boats and gotta give them credit..
Old 02-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Troutly
Unless I am missing something here, why would a boat manufacturer send what I would consider an unfinished boat to the show?? In my eyes, they show is where you want to display your BEST efforts.
Not some unfinished product.

To me bringing an unfinished product to the show either shows a lack of quality in certain areas of a product you build, or a deeper underlying issue of some type of instability in your business where you don't have the infrastructer to get the job done right and on time.

Maybe it is just something inherent with certain boat manufacturers, but I have never seen this at things like auto shows unless it is clearly marked as some type of protoype vehicle.
BINGO!!
Unless it is a brand new boat someone wants to get in front of the public, I would bet everyone saw the builders best efforts.
Maybe the waves on the OL brake suface tension and reduce drag! Kinda like steps on the side! Just kidding guys, don't get your panties in a bunch.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 AM
jeff bratton

Just goes to show nothing is perfect, if you look long & hard you can always find something wrong.

Old 02-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The 39 is a competely new product. You could say that the boat on display is a prototype, and was never scheduled to be anything more than a prototype for the purpose of unveiling at the show.

It does not reflect on any instability in OL's infastructure. It is the same situation as the Cigarette Maximus, during the Ft. Lauderdale show that boat was still not finished.

Outerlimits chose to display a partially finished product at the show. They could have left the boat at home and parked their tow vehicle under the tent in it's place
Old 02-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or... had an 18" model of a boat that they are supposed to be building!?

But who in their right mind would do that at the biggest boat show of the year!?
Old 02-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't just the 39 with the paint issues it was every Ol under the tent. Don't get me wrong they are beautiful boats but there were many boats with a much better quality paint job for a fraction of the cost.
I would take any one of them under the tent, however if I paid $400 k+ I would expect nothing less than a exceptional paint job which they did not have.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.