Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71962-disappointed-quality-some-boats-show.html)

Jassman 02-22-2004 06:56 PM

BK, I'll ask again, what boat co. did you used to own, Thank You. Jeff

BK 02-22-2004 07:07 PM

Not sure if you've ever heard of it. The company was purchased in 1997 and they are still producing boats in Florida.

Our company was a small boat company in Texas, producing some of the fastest O/B lake racers. No offshore boats. (largest model was 23')
Named Mirage Boats Inc.

BK 02-22-2004 07:16 PM

Here's a thread about them on S&F:

Show your Mirage

BK 02-22-2004 07:42 PM

:confused:

mcollinstn 02-22-2004 08:50 PM

I have one of Brad's (BK's) boat. Its a bargain tunnel vee rocket. Love(d) it (I add the past tense cause it hasn't seen water in 8 years).

But aside from Mirage building a helluva river racer, I don't know that I fully understand his defending of OL displaying $600k luxo offshore hardware with $45k paint jobs that are flawed. I bet one of Fred's burgers that if somebody wanted to buy one of the display boats, that nobody at OL would say, "Wait, you can't have it until we fix the flaws in the paint."

I agree with most of the gallery here in that I don't care to look at megabuck merchandise with visible corner cutting.

But that's just me.

BK 02-23-2004 04:20 AM

Glad to hear you have one of the boats we built and love it. It's always nice to hear from past customers.

But I'm not defending OL's right to build boats with less quality here. I was just giving a reasons why a boat might make it to a show before it was totally ready.

But, when I posted, I wasn't aware that this had happened three years straight :( That's a different story.

- and I'm Brad's wife. ;)

So, when are you going to take the RR out for a spin?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-23-2004 06:20 AM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
I bet one of Fred's burgers that if somebody wanted to buy one of the display boats, that nobody at OL would say, "Wait, you can't have it until we fix the flaws in the paint."

IMO, I think they would.

If it was not 100% finished, then they wouldn't let a customer take it home. Afterall, once it leaves the factory for good, it does have their name on it. ;)

Chris288 02-23-2004 07:24 AM

They need that dumbass Paul Sr. from American chopper breathing down their necks, saying how concerned he is and how they have to meet the deadlines.. :D :D

mcollinstn 02-23-2004 09:39 AM

BK,

The RR is in a barn with another outboard rocket of mine. My boy is 13, and if/when he earns something quick, we will rework the Mirage and put him in it. It needs some work, as I overstressed the transom and tore it up before storing it.

(I had a roots supercharged 2.4 Merc on alcohol on it for a while and it was a little more than the transom wanted).