Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show... >

Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Notices

Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Old 02-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Not to bash any manufacturer in paticular but one thing I noticed in the show this year was that "Finish" quality as a whole seemed to be slipping. Blue Thunder, (as mentioned in a couple of other threads) was really one of the worst finishes I have ever seen. Believe it or not, OuterLimits had several paint flaws (minor) but just not perfect like I would expect from them or a boat that costs so much. They have an awesome boat but for the money I would want a perfect boat. Alot of the fishing boat manufacturers were even worse. Caulking everywhere and just generally a bad finish.. On the plus side, Cigarettes were BEAUTIFUL. The finish was so sweet and the attention to detail was superb. Fountain and Formula's finish was nice also. Oh, and it seems Powerplay finally found someone to paint some decent graphics on their boats. The teal and pink were just killing me.. Nice job on the 33 and one of the 38's. (The graphicsless outboard version of the 38 was ugly.) I think if these guys are gonna charge 200 - 500k for a boat, it better be as close to perfect as possible. Just my 2 cents..
Old 02-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Registered

I agree completely.
Rich
Old 02-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this to be true - here and there - all the way up to the 53 Sunseeker that I looked at. Although the boat was "just about perfect" it did have some build flaws that I thought should not have been there for $1.1 mil.

The OL's were tight, but even they had a few blems when you looked under the hatch, but all-in-all damn near perfect. I thought the best (performance) deal at the show was the 353 Formula for $250K, the paint was awesome, performance was right there with those pretty blue motors in the bilge and fit and finish was top notch! Just shows that a "production boat" can play with the custom units... up to a point.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:09 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

I agree also. I especially liked the creative thinking that was apparent in the Cigarette booth. The 45 was pretty awesome.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The last couple of Cigs I looked closely at had paint runs in them also. Just shows that there can be flaws found in any boat if you look long and close enough.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I went to the Cig booth first, and after that everything compared back to them. They were beautiful.

Dragon was nice. I rode in the Formula 353 and was very impressed, although it offers less space than my 35 Cafe.

The biggest disappointment was the Nortech cat with the turbines. Wavy down the sides, and a lot of orange peel. After seeing them on the Key West Poker Run last fall I expected something better.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I see pictures of the graphics on the Cigs... I'd have to think that increases the cost by at least 50 grand... I'd rather have the boat plain refrigerator white and enjoy the performance and put the difference in my pocket. But Good looking stuff! I have to agree...
Old 02-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Registered

We went to the NY show and the A.C. boat show last week and I have to agree w/ everything being said here.. The cigs were very beautiful,, and the o.l.'s were no where near as nice. The paint was bad, and upholstery was not very good either,, but what should you expect from a 750,000 dollar boat...
Old 02-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Registered

Ditto on the OL's paint. Simply the worst quality paint jobs I saw on any performance boat I looked at the show. It was really depressing as I thought they had beautiful paint jobs in the pics. but it was really a shocker.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OL's do nothing for me. Like an ugly baby, only the parents could love them.

Power Play & Dragon, 2 of the straightest hulls there. Dagon cockpit outstanding. Nice job Craig!

Cigs look great from a distance, but upon closer inspection, still great. A few orange peel spots. Don't care for the paint schemes themselves. I'm not a fan of taping everything off and then paint. Do it right, paint then rig. Rigging was top notch.

MTI, very nice. Detail in engine compartment unreal! Does the deck ever end? Them is some long azz boats.

Donzi 38, not a straight line on it anywhere. Got dizzy from the waves in the deck. Gets my vote for worst quality. (Didn't look at Bayliner)

Blue Lightening, long way to go. But it was still in the process of being finished. Might have been best to have left it home before finished.

Fountain, nice. But will take this time to say they had the hottest chicks.

Hustler, near perfect paint as it comes. The dark red was beautiful! Straight, not a wave.

Formula!!!!!!!!!! DING DING DING. My pick of the best!
Graphics quality perfect as always. Hulls nice and straight. My next boat

Quick Reply: Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.